PDA

View Full Version : My Truck Dies Intermittently

ALLAMERICAN1
08-26-2003, 08:17
I don't know where to start looking. About 3 months ago I bought some Interceptor fuel filters from an advertizer here. After installing the first one I had an intermittent loss of power on acceleration, It would not die just stumble. About a month ago I installed a secondary filter post OEM. A Racor 660 mounted in the second alternator spot like I saw here on the board. At that time I changed the OE Filter again. Now I don't have the intermittent stumble but about every 600 to 700 miles the truck will die. I can get out pump the primer 6 or 7 times and bleed an air buble out of the petcock. I have re-tightend all fittings and can not find any source of an air leak but I know it's there. How do I find this air leak. The Dealer told me that they had had problems before with the Interceptors losing prime. I'm not sure now if it is the OE filter or the secondary one thats leaking air. I'm going to change back to a factory filter in a week or so and see if that helps. It's embarrasing driving a $40,000 truck that dies every tank and a half of fuel. Any body have any suggestions on finding this leak.

Help

Mike

RVGuy
08-26-2003, 08:20
I see you have the Juice. Was the Juice installed during all episodes you described?

What software version of the Juice do you have?

ALLAMERICAN1
08-26-2003, 08:37
Juice is not the problem. I had an early version that would die but has since been upgraded. All these problems started with the installation of the fuel filter. Then I compounded it by installing the secondary filter. When the truck dies there is an air bubble in fuel lines has been every time. Pump primer 6 or 7 times bleed the bubble and it fires right back up and goes another 600 to 700 miles no problem. I just don't know where or haw to track down the air leak.

Mike

a bear
08-26-2003, 08:58
Try a light coat of vaseline on the filter o-rings and make sure to tighten the filters to the full recommended amt. Doesn't take much of a leak under vac to cause a lot of air. ;) Did you use a good diesel compatable thread sealant?

FirstDiesel
08-26-2003, 18:59
The Interceptor filter is not the problem. All the filters are the same, made by the same vendor.

Like the others said your getting air in the system. Some trucks seem to get more than others and stall. I am trapping the air in my Mega filter and can bleed it at will. It has never gotten bad enough to cause the truck to fail to start or to stall.

Speculation is that the truck lacking a lift pump is a contributing cause.

It's clear that you have not followed the "debates" in the other threads on this. smile.gif

SoCalDMAX
08-27-2003, 00:01
No doubt you have a leak, and using the "last thing touched" school of troubleshooting, it's probably the filter. Did you hold your tongue out of the LEFT side of your mouth when installing? I noticed those instructions weren't printed on the filter for some reason. ;)

I'd remove the filter and carefully inspect the upper o-ring for nicks and the plastic lip just inside the o-ring for chips - I had one chipped straight out of the box. Check the o-ring for the water sensor as well. Make sure the water sensor is fairly tight and the drain o-ring is intact and drain is tight. If all looks good, then as a bear suggested, some vaseline and correct amount of muscle will help in reintsalling all of those o-rings.

Double check that your bleeder screw isn't cross threaded or loose. Also another member told me that after replacing his fuel filter and bleeding, he had to bleed it again after a few days. Air accumulated a few days later and once removed, it seemed to be gone for good.

Good luck! Steve

mackin
08-27-2003, 07:12
Yo Mod Socal ....

Turn off this thread is stuck up top forever,switch ....It isn't that important as The Perfect Trap Thread ... :rolleyes:

Mac :D :D :D

hoot
08-27-2003, 07:22
Originally posted by a bear:
Try a light coat of vaseline

a64pilot
08-27-2003, 09:45
Hey Hoot, that's two references to sex. Maybe you need to leave work early :D
Or, is it me that needs to leave early and you haven't made any references after all?

hoot
08-27-2003, 09:46
Originally posted by a64pilot:
Hey Hoot, that's two references to sex. Maybe you need to leave work early :D
Or, is it me that needs to leave early and you haven't made any references after all? Who's counting???????
:D

I didn't type them, I simply quoted them. ;)

BlueOx03
08-27-2003, 18:36
Mine Died today!

I was sitting in the middle of the road waiting to make a left. When the intersection cleared I hit the go pedal and it just shut down. I took me by complete surprise, I musta sat there in awe for a good minute. I put it in Neutral and fired it right up. No problems since. I'm gonna change the OEM, cut and see if that's it or it was just a burp.

TJ

Lone Eagle
08-27-2003, 18:57
Mike, Try this sequence to bleed your filter. Make sure your bleeder is in one of the out ports. If yours is in the top it should be between the two arrows pointing away from the filter.

Open the bleeder first and then hit the primer. Make sure you get liquid without foam before shutting the bleeder. Start the engine and put a few drops of oil on the hole in the bleeder to see if that is a source of air getting in. Do you have hose clamps all around? Later! Frank