PDA

View Full Version : does anyone know?

Paintdude
08-02-2002, 19:10
Why we or I cannot post HTML links in our-my post here?

It would not take up any bandwidth..

It would be nice be able to post pics of our mods..

Our motorcycle site is free and we used 47 gigs of bandwidth in July...We operate off of doantions and a few advertisers..

[ 08-02-2002: Message edited by: Paintdude ]</p>

mackin
08-02-2002, 19:17
Paintdude,

It was takin off along with PIC posting along time ago (4/5 months?) for security reasons...... Hasn't been brought up in awhile maybe Jim (MP) could give us an update.......

MAC

NutNbutGMC
08-02-2002, 19:21
^...Links here were cited to be the cause of security. Not for me to comment on so I'll hush my mouth.

[ 08-02-2002: Message edited by: NutNbutGMC ]</p>

Paintdude
08-02-2002, 19:47
LMFAO!! Hey,I am a Dishnetwork Dealer..I do it part time...

NutNbutGMC
08-02-2002, 20:50
I don't even have a dish. I use the site for computer stuff... LMAO too.... Never thought about the rest, until now... LOL...

FirstDiesel
08-03-2002, 05:19
I certainly can understand not allowing pixs to be posted. 2 main reasons. Server resources and d/l time for people on dialups. Yes there are people still on dialups!! The HORROR!!!!

The thing I can not understand is not allowing clickable links. This is a royal PITA to have to deal with on this site. I belong to a few forums and this is the only one that claims this is a security issue.

Paintdude
08-03-2002, 05:51
I am on a dial up connection and pics are not really a problem for me as long as they are kept around 75k..

Not being able to post a url really sux..

hoot
08-03-2002, 07:02
I agree. The membership should be able to post clickable links.

Paintdude
08-03-2002, 07:23
I dont really see the advantage of having this type of message board or them paying for this software when we cannot utilize its advantages..

We can even post pics and links at the Pacific-audio Gm Truck board and it is free..

Sorry to run this subject into the ground, but it needs to be changed..IMO

http://pacific-audio.com/performance/discussion.html

SoCalDMAX
08-03-2002, 11:48
Whenever a clickable link, or external source code is allowed to run on a computer, or even worse, a server, the potential for malicious damage is increased exponentially. This was graphically demonstrated to me by a programmer friend who substitued the "format c:\" command for an innocuous ansi command and completely wiped a HD remotely.

This forum was having reliability problems when urls were linked, and it is much more reliable now. I agree that it is a slight PITA, but at least the forum is reliable. Until the publishers of the BB software can guarantee absolute security (I'm not holding my breath), I'd choose reliability.

The above mentioned BB has VERY lax security. There are posts on there which were copied from here and have my name, even though I did not post it there. I'm not upset, because it is what I said and was not misquoted or misrepresented. I am very suspect of some things posted there, since anyone can log in using any name. I'm looking for info, so where I get it is very important to me.

In fun, I posted some absolutely ridiculous stuff on there using another member's name. The admin deleted it fairly quickly, but without even rudimentary username/password controls in place, how can one be sure that the poster is even who he says he is? IP logging can be easily fooled.

A side benefit of the increased caution here is the quality of the info we get. If I see a post from any of our experts, I feel confident it is actually from him/her. They probably would not spend anywhere near as much time answering questions here if there was any doubt about their credentials or their info. Better info, more posters, people who have lurked for a long time finally buy a Dmax based on honest info/answers they saw here... everyone wins.

Copy and paste isn't so hard, remember before web browsers, huge graphics, when it was built by DARPA... no I'm not THAT old! ;) Wanna see a fast 'puter? Try running DOS on an AMD 1.8GHz LOL! Now THAT would be juiced!

Regards, Steve

stretch
08-03-2002, 15:14
Unless I misunderstand, you can run a clickable link. I wish you could post pics and links that run. I also neighbor PickupTruck.com and its allowed and effective there and the server is almost never down, although I have noticed this site has been up and running better in the past month. A few months back, it was down what seemed like once or twice a week, which is extremely annoying. Jim, if you read this you should see what PickupTruck.com is using for software and security. I think in the last 2 years I have only seen it down once and I think they have considerably more traffic there.... :confused:

More Power
08-03-2002, 16:10
We're well into the process of converting this BB forum from its current "cgi" engine to PHP. This move is intended to improve reliability and hopefully improve security. (It also increases forum costs)

In the meantime, be aware that inserting a line of code into a BB that results in a clickable URL link or image means that the link is an "executable" line of code. The malcontents of the web have used these features to crash web servers running BB forums. Need I say more?

Want to help? Report the offenders. We'll take it from there... Blame them, not this web site.

By the way - PUTC is using PHP forum software, which is exactly what we're getting. Also, I don't know what sort of traffic PUTC's forum is seeing, but TheDieselPage.com forum is serving between 900,000 and 1,000,000 page loads per month. The DP web site in total is close to 1.3M.

MP

[ 08-03-2002: Message edited by: More Power ]</p>

mackin
08-03-2002, 16:30
More Power,

What ever it takes Jim...Cause this is the best BB on the net on the GM topics.....I for one will sit patiently waiting for the resolve......Thanks for the update...

MAC

On edit " Don't forget the .50 cents for my Christmas present this year =&gt;http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=003757

Someone over looked me on the list last year....... :rolleyes:

LOL

[ 08-03-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Paintdude
08-03-2002, 17:21
We use V Bulletin software..

zrxoa.org

In the 3 yrs our site has been up we have only had one hacker or raider(TRIX) and he was delt with personally..with 4000 members our reach is pretty far..and now his father is a ZRXOA member..

Com'on give us HTML,UBB, Please...on this board..

More Power
08-03-2002, 17:37
No one wants image/link posting ability returned more than I do. As soon as the security issues are dealt with, that ability will return.

MP

NutNbutGMC
08-03-2002, 18:54
^....More Power, I patiently await for more power. Thanks for all of your time and efforts. :cool:

stretch
08-03-2002, 19:10
I'll second that THANK YOU. I don't mean to sound critical, just excercising my first ammendment rights!!!! tongue.gif ;) :D

FirstDiesel
08-03-2002, 19:47
I belong to the forum on Miata.net. They run the same software as the forum, just a newer version. They allow clickables, but no images. Bandwidth/server reasons for the no images policy. They have over 16k registered members vs. this forums 7k. To my knowledge this forum has never had a problem related to clickable links.