PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Temp Monitor

Piney
08-02-2002, 22:20
Have any of you installed the Isspro Turbo Temp Monitor? I have been reading up on it, and they make is sound like it can really increase the life of your turbo....sounds like a must but I haven't a clue :confused:

Amianthus
08-04-2002, 20:06
That's a decision you'll have to make on your own. You'll have to decide if you need it based on your driving habits.
I know a few people that have them and really like the peace of mind that they can afford. However, most people can also just let the thing idle a few minutes to cool it down and shut it off on thier own. It's all in how much it means to you. Keep in mind that newer engines should be cooled down some, but if you don't it's probably not gonna kill it, save the modified ones.
I have a home made one. I like it alot. But I'm also running over 500 HP, so cooldown is more of an issue for me. Not to mention, if I have a fire call I can pound the crap outta the thing and let it take care of itself once I get to the station. I just gotta remember not to get outta the thing while it's in gear when the idle timer is running.

It's all based on how you drive it.

Silver Bullet
08-04-2002, 20:20
Piney,
Good question. I have been wondering the same thing myself. A turbo temp guage/monitor is something I am undecided on.

hoot
08-04-2002, 20:24
Here's a few topics with guy that have it...

http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=002525&p=

http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=001288&p=

Paintdude
08-04-2002, 20:42
Is it really needed on a stock engine?

this is what GM says..

the wastegate IHI turbocharger sits in the engine valley, at the rear of the block and is the first light-truck diesel turbocharger to incorporate a water-cooled center-section. shutingdown a turbocharged diesel engine soon after a hard pull can cause oil remainging in the turbo center section to gum and restrict oil flow..A water-cooled center-section (where the oil and turbo bearings are) should help to prvent these sort of problems..