PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic Oil

kevin21
09-21-2004, 11:22
I don't mean to span the board so be nice.

If you guys use synthetic motor oil, which do you use. I seem to see that there isn't a consensus when searching the board.

Can you use Mobil One or a 40 weight of any kind? I used to use Durablend in my Dodge but it was a gasser.

Kennedy
09-21-2004, 11:57
Stick with a true diesel oil.

I run Mobil Delvac 1. Amsoil 15w40 HD Diesel/Marine is also an excellent choice.

HBruns
09-21-2004, 20:36
Mr. Kennedy's right - use a motor oil formulated for diesels. There are compelling reasons to do so.

I use Amsoil's 15W-40 Synthetic Heavy Duty Diesel and Marine Motor Oil. I have used different Amsoil motor oils in all the different vehicles I've had with excelent results.

Cliffee
09-21-2004, 20:47
I use Amsoil 15w40 Diesel oil also. My local Chevrolet Manager told me that Amsoil is about the best there is!

Phase 3
09-22-2004, 06:39
Great thread.

I just signed up for the preferred Amsoil buyer's program and had similar questions.

What's the consensus on using synthetic oil in a new DMax [<4K miles]? Should I wait till I get 20-30K? Amsoil's dual oil filter setup will extend oil changes to 10's of thousands of miles and recommend to switching to oil analysis rather then scheduled oil changes. Does anyone here do this?

I was thinking of switching all fluids [diff\trans, etc.] to Amsoil at around 5K miles.

Tractorhauler
09-22-2004, 07:40
Kevin,

Mobil Delvac 1. Make sure you get Delvac, there is Mobil 1 synthetic that is sold in Wal Mart that is not diesel oil.

Mark

lineman
09-22-2004, 09:05
Rottela.....at Wally World.Whatever you use make sure it has the API seal and it meets the requirements of your owners manual.....Lineman

mdadgar
09-22-2004, 09:06
I read here not too long ago that there is now a consumer version of Mobil 1 formulated for diesel use. I have not seen it myself.

Either way, I use Mobil 1 Delvac at 5K mile intervals.

Amsoil is reputed to be good stuff, but I really hate their MLM-based marketing program.

Anyway, my local dealer is happy to use oil I supply in the cases where I'm too lazy to crawl under the truck myself.

- Mark

LanduytG
09-22-2004, 12:01
Amsoil is reputed to be good stuff, but I really hate their MLM-based marketing program I hear this a lot but if its bought from the right person MLM does not matter. Beleive me I have plenty of issues with MLM type things but I still do a good business without doing the MLM part of it.

Greg

mdrag
09-22-2004, 12:40
Originally posted by StrangeEngine:
I read here not too long ago that there is now a consumer version of Mobil 1 formulated for diesel use. I have not seen it myself...

- Mark jbplock posted information on the new Mobil 1 Truck & SUV Formula (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=007405) earlier this year. It is reported to be relabeled Mobil Delvac 1. I saw the Truck & SUV Formula at the local WalMart a few weeks ago and plan to use it at the next oil change. Delvac 1 has been tough to find locally.

ccole
09-22-2004, 14:36
My preference is Deere 15w-40 +50. It has an API (American Petroleum Institute) rating of CI-4 and is readily available out here in the rural areas......

KenZ
09-23-2004, 06:15
Some good information at this site on all about oil.

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html

covers most everything and has links to other sites.

Stephen1
09-23-2004, 09:35
I use the Mobil 1 Truck/SUV with the yellow cap. It is Delvac 1 in a different container according to everything I have read. It also has the highest API rating for Diesels with exhaust gas recirculation (all LLY motors).

Steve

Noble1
09-23-2004, 11:03
I to use JD 15 w40 +50 with a JD filter and it costs me about $26. I think it is good stuff and have seen excellent results with it in lots of tractors and other equipment. This is what I am going to use from now on.