PDA

View Full Version : Help! My Duramax wouldn't turn off

uncle t
08-03-2002, 08:02
i am brand new on this forum and it seems i have found the right place to solve my problem because several gmc dealers cannot. i will try not to be too wordy but sometimes information is knowledge and a full detailed description of the problems may help in getting an answer.
a couple of weeks ago we were on a road trip to and around the grand canyon. I was pulling a 2003 cardinal 29WB with my 2002 2500HD D/A. (7900 miles on it) The loaded trailer came in at 10,800# This was our third road trip with this setup having previously done 1,000 mile yosemite and 2,000 mile yellowstone journeys without incident. On a short leg of the trip from Page, AZ to Flagstaff(200 miles) I noted the engine fan running about 80% of the time. The gas gauge barely moved the entire 200 miles down to like 3/4 tank. As we got close to Flagstaff, shifting became erratic with noticeable loss of power and normal punch. We got into CG in Flagstaff, registered, and pulled into site and the engine would not turn off. All of the gauges and dash lights went dark but the engine continued to run with maybe a bit of an increase in rpms. We let our fingers do the walkin' and located GMC dealer in Flagstaff. Went to leave the CG after dumping 5er and found the gear shift selector would only go to "N" position, but truck went into gear. Problem is it was 4th or 5th gear. Limped into dealership and they used hand held computer plugged into truck to shut it off. They had it 2 days and released it saying they put a bunch of upgrades into computer and all is now well. We left the dealership and drove 75 miles( without 5er) to south rim. got to first overlook and turned the key and truck kept running. Back to the dealership. 4 days later they released it after replacing the ECM and ignition switch and updating the new ECM. They felt all of the problems were interelated to the fried ECM. Headed for home Flagstaff to REno with an overnight in Pahrump,NV. got into vegas (about 240 miles) for fuel and lunch. all worked well. engine turned off twice. Towed 60 miles to Pahrump, checked in at CG , pulled into site and engine would not turn off. When the smoke cleared that had poured out of our ears, we called GM roadside assist. and customer service. (That nightmare could be another post) They sent us to dealer in Las Vegas. Unhooked the trailer, drove the 60 miles, pulled into the dealership and the sucker turned off. Service adviser basically said to bring it back when it's broken. They did show me location of fuel pump relay should it happen again when we got back to Pahrump. In the AM we left Pahrump to return home to Reno. Shortly after starting off the SES light came on. We drove home. Made appt. for all of these problems with our selling dealer. They had it 5 days. They never addressed anything but the SES light which was the heater intake relay. The service writer would not list the engine not turning off, gas gauge, engine fan running constantly on the work order because they were not manifesting themselves then. A FRANK discussion with the service manager ensued and he backed the writer up. But I stray from the problem. The engine turns off all the time now, the gas gauge seems okay and the engine cooling fan has calmed down. I don't know if these things fix themselves;I rather doubt it. My concern is the next road trip we take and we stop in XXXXX, Colorado and there will not be a GMC dealer within 300 miles. Anybody have suggestions? Anybody experienced failure of engine to turn off?
--------------------
--------------------

2002 GMC 2500HD SLE D/A EC LONG BED

Paintdude
08-03-2002, 08:36
What a bummer..A diesel only shuts off when you stop the fuel..Glad it seems to be fixed now..Good Luck and I hope mine doesn`t ever do that..

Wally
08-03-2002, 08:44
That's a bizarre one!
Did any of the dealers contact GM for assistance?
I wouldn't think that this is a problem with the hard wired devices, I.E. Ignition switch or relays. One of the three truck's computers is at fault. They replaced the ECM so I would suspect that the Body control module is at fault.

Sometimes the best approach is the shotgun method. Replace all three computers. ECM, TCM, and Body control module.

uncle t
08-03-2002, 09:05
paintdude-
thanks for the encouragement. the problem is it is NOT fixed. it just has not done it in a while.it did it after the ECM/ignition switch "fix"
even though it is an awesome machine, i don't think they repair themselves.

Plasticfantastic
08-03-2002, 09:49
Don't have an answer but I have read severalposts on the VW board about their diesels doing this also. The stories I read said the engine raced and wouldn't shut off! That would be scary.

Paintdude
08-03-2002, 10:39
A few ideas..

Check the lemonlaw in your state. Then tell the dealer if they don`t fix it in 3 tries in 30 days you want a new truck..also a 75 dollar letter from an attorney makes alot of difference..

get something else to drive and just leave the truck with them..

A HARD CASE I AM..Eh!!!!

[ 08-03-2002: Message edited by: Paintdude ]</p>

NutNbutGMC
08-03-2002, 11:40
^...I'd suggest a diesel fuel gauge in lieu of a gas gauge. :D ....Don't know about the rest... Good luck......However, we use 16 cylinder M&K diesels for backup power supply on nuclear power plants. Once, a diesel engine refused to shut down at an AZ power plant. Lem'me look and see what they did to fix it. Be next week though.

Redhawk
08-03-2002, 14:21
This is a perplexing situation. I think the lemon law idea ia a good one. Go that route right away, even if they "Fix" it, because then you are on record. I had a Ford buyback and they procrastinated for months, a story too long to go into. Finally I got a lemon law attorney, and three week later they decided to settle. Interesting, hey?

For a simple "running on" fix put an inline manual fuel shutoff in some convenient place. That would helps the nerves somewhat. The shutoff is also good as a security device. Makes it harder to steal a truck with one installed. The other problems defy analysis. Good Luck.

tmg115
08-03-2002, 15:05
defenetly cheak out the lemon law.

ok. here is what i don't get. the duramax is so dependent on power to run that your gages will shut off but the power to the pump and computers will not. next time it does it try and disconect the battery and that should solve it.

uncle t
08-03-2002, 15:06
have already checked nevada lemon law with my attorney. manufacturer must have either:
1) 4 tries at conforming vehicle for same problem
2) vehicle out of service for 30 days due to sameproblem.
all of this must occur in first year of ownership.

the dealers are on to this. my OWN selling dealer refused to list the problem on the repair order because it wasn't manifesting the problem when i brought it in.

i did register that attempt with GM customer assistance on my file there.

I still find it difficult to believe that mine is the only one that has done this. My post is still new. Someone out there must have had similar experience.

Me thinks tomorrow I will try a customer service manager at GM to start the ball rolling.
:(

IndigoDually
08-03-2002, 16:12
It could just be a fuel pump relay sticking.

Good Luck, John

Wally
08-03-2002, 18:50
Some of you are forgetting something about the Dmax when you try to equate it to other diesels. This engine has no injection pump nor does it have a fuel shut off solenoid. When it is told to shut down it just stops firing the injectors. It does not shut off fuel to the high pressure pump. I'm not sure but the fuel regulator may do something at engine shut down but I doubt it.
This engine is more closely related to a gasser than anyone wants to admit when it comes to the fuel system. When given a command to shut down the gasser stops firing the plugs. The Dmax stops firing the injectors.
I'm sticking with my original analysis. I suspect that the Body control module is at fault and isn't telling the ECM to shut down the engine but it is cutting power to everything else. The goofy gauge readings go along with this as the entire dash is fed by the BCM.
I haven't seen the wiring diagram for this engine but it is also possible that the ecm has a single shutdown command wire that may not be seated properly in the connector, but that doesn't explain the gauge anomalies.

Just in case they cannot resolve this problem keep METICULOUS documentation, right down to qoutes from your conversations with the service writers. This will cover your butt if they won't enter all of your complaints on the work order. Heck, I would even record the conversations. Just let the other party know that you are doing it.

slapshot44
08-03-2002, 20:56
IIRC, at least one of the control modules is located by the radiator? A long time ago there was discussion about the ears on one of the hose clamps on the power steering pump sticking into the wiring harness and eventually shorting out wires from vibration, causing a whole slew of "weird" conditions. The ears on the clamp on my truck were sticking into the harnes also, but thanks to the timely thread appearing, I fixed it before any damage was done. You might want to check yours to see if it is rubbing the wires, and advise the technicians to check for other conditions elsewhere. Just a thought...

Dave_WB3FYV
08-04-2002, 13:50
NutNbutGMC,
I didn't find anything on INPO from Arizona, but TVA had one at BF2 in 1989, engine stop delay relay wore out and required replacement. Also, Brunswick had one with a bad Stop Sequence Solenoid Valve, and another at Fort Calhoun that kept getting an 'auto start' signal during testing. All eventually shut down, but the root cause involved things that don't come stock on a Dmax - at least I don't think so!

...stuck at IP2 on a nice summer day! :mad:

NutNbutGMC
08-04-2002, 14:01
^..........Dave...23 years in the business. Been (almost) everywhere. This event was back in 1985. I was at Clinton and remember reading an NRC bulletin (not a service bulletin such as 79-14, etc)about it. I don't think INPO was established then but I may be wrong on that. I have searched NRC's site as well as INPO. I do remember that it was at Palo Verde. Small world, huh??? Looks like Browns Ferry U1 is back in the hunt for energy. TVA....What a Jersey Cow... LOL

[ 08-04-2002: Message edited by: NutNbutGMC ]</p>