PDA

View Full Version : 2500HD crew cab SB vs extened cab LB

tanker
09-21-2004, 16:33
Still doing my homework. :rolleyes: Can't decide on a 4X4 crew cab short bed, or an extended cab long bed. Will be towing a 34ft 11,500lb. ball hitch travel trailer. Doubtful if we will go with a 5th wheel. Would like to add a tranfer flow 98 gallon alum bed tank which takes up about 2ft of bed, need room for future generator, bikes and misc supplies. Just Mrs. Tanker and myself, but at times need room for some passengers/grandchildren. Need some pros and cons on both of these styles. What did you wish you should have bought? ;) Tanks for your advise. smile.gif

Jim Dandy
09-21-2004, 17:03
I struggled with this question before I bought my 2002. I decided on the EC/LB since it had a longer wheelbase which is safer when towing and had a larger fuel tank.

I've since added a CC/SB to my stable. The inside storage in the CC isn't as voluminous as I had expected. I'm tall and can't fold down the seat behind me without running my knees into the dash.

The CC does feel shorter when running around town and is slightly easier to maneuver. However, when loading up to go on a camping trip, you can't beat the long box for taking along your gear, especially if you are going to give up 2' for a fueltank in the bed. I'd go with the EC/LB.

rdanley
09-21-2004, 17:16
HEY TANKER IF YOU ARE GOING TO BE PULLING OVER 10K I WILL HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU GO 3500 DRW AS FOR SB OR LB. DIFENTLY LB FOR TOWING. AT 11,500 YOU WILL BE OVER YOUR TOWING CAPACITY FOR BALL HITCH.

WanaDmxsub
09-21-2004, 17:59
EC=Grandson kicking center console and back of seats.
CC=Grandson can't reach center console or seat back's with feet.
It's only a 4-6" differance, but at times it seams like a mile.
Should have got the CC :(

motovet
09-21-2004, 21:56
Tom, We have had both and I can definately say the CC is the way to go for passengers. For our daughter and other occasional passengers the extra space is great. At our state fair last weekend there was a new extra cab Duramax on display and our daughter said; look how tiny the back seat is Dad. Hard to imagine going back to that!

tanker
09-22-2004, 01:19
Thanks so far, it sure keeps my mind working!
To: rdanley, the ball hitch tow rating in the 04 GM booklet says 12,000lb max trailer wt. on all 8.1/6600 2500HD/3500HD, SRW/DRW, 2X4 or 4X4, with a 22,000lb GCWR. 5th whl varies from 15,000lb to 15,900 SRW/DRW. ;)

Kennedy
09-22-2004, 05:26
CC-long! The Crew is much more roomy, and you won't have to open your door to let the rear passengers out. The long bed gets you a 34 gallon tank for decent trip range. I can run around 500 miles (empty) on mine without getting nervous...

Greg Watkins
09-22-2004, 05:51
I had an extended cab 1500 (Z71). I traded it for a 2500HD CC short bed. I now have a 2500HD CC long bed. IF you are going to be putting a tool box, etc... in the bed of the truck, I recommend getting a long bed CC. You will NEVER regret having the extra room in the bed (or the truck for that matter :~>)

greg

4diesels
09-22-2004, 06:13
CC LB, the best of all worlds ;) The fuel tank thing is a big deal. With the SB you only get ~25 gallons, it is a pain if towing a travel trailer, you will be stopping much more often. I also feel that a real truck has an 8ft bed, anything less seriously limits your cargo carrying, which is why you need a truck right? I do think the EC is pretty roomy especially if only for occaisional use.

chuntag95
09-22-2004, 12:58
CC LB. I wish I had done the LB instead of the short. I had a EC SB and got rid of it only becasue of the kid kicking my seat. When I threatened to cut their feet off, the wife gave in and let me have a new truck. ;)

Colorado Kid
09-22-2004, 17:35
In-laws have EC/LB and I have CC/SB
It sure is a trick getting passengers out of the EC in a parking lot . . .you get both doors open and the passenger steps out of the back seat, but now he's trapped between the doors and in the way of closing either of them. He can either crawl under a door or the truck or join the driver in the front seat while the back door is closed. The drill for loading groceries from a cart is similar . . .lift bags, squeeze agaist the open front door, open rear door, put in the bags, squeeze against the open front door, close the rear door, get more bags . . .

Also, at least in our two trucks, we find that the EC has more shakes, clunks and rattles where the two doors come together . . .it never feels as solid as the crew cab. This doesn't apply to you, but the EC /LB doesn't have to slide the 5th wheel hitch to back up in a tight turn, but the CC/SB doesn't have to back up as often because it turns tighter.

I use my other pickup for the bulky loads, so the bed length doesn't matter to me . . . in fact I'm planning to replace my CC/SB with a Suburban because the 5 of us need seats more than bed space. (Too bad you want 4x4 . . .assuming the D-max is replacing your Burb we could make a deal) ;)

rdanley
09-22-2004, 17:45
TANKER I AM PRETTY SURE IF YOU READ THE FINE PRINT IT WILL STATE ANY TRAILER OVER THE 10K MARK REQUIRES FIVER HITCH. I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE READING BUT BE CAREFULL.

motovet
09-22-2004, 21:34
John runs his seat so far back, there still isn't much room for anyone behind him. :D

Lawnboy
09-23-2004, 03:03
Originally posted by rdanley:
TANKER I AM PRETTY SURE IF YOU READ THE FINE PRINT IT WILL STATE ANY TRAILER OVER THE 10K MARK REQUIRES FIVER HITCH. I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE READING BUT BE CAREFULL. Fine print??? Looks like your CAPS LOCK is stuck on.

No need for a dually here at all. And no need for a fiver with the trailer being over 10K.

He's simply asking peoples views on EC LB vs. CC SB. The CC LB is going to be REAL tight in the garage.

Remember guys, this big trailer is being towed by a 6.5 Suburban right now!

As for the fuel tanks..... CC SB's, dont they get the 34 gal tank?

Colorado Kid
09-23-2004, 06:09
My CC/SB has a 26 Gallon tank. I think all SB do.

Kennedy
09-23-2004, 06:31
Originally posted by motovet:
John runs his seat so far back, there still isn't much room for anyone behind him. :D ;)

tanker
09-23-2004, 16:19
I heard a rumor that the new 05 Crew Cab w/ 6.5 bed may be getting the 34 gallon tank. Lawnboy is right about a tight fit in my upper garage with a CC/LB. Kids are gone so not sure if I need the CC, but I think with the Aux fuel tank in the bed I'd better look at the long bed. Then again I don't need a monster in length for parking. Will go out and drive a few of both, then see how the inside is for room. Been in a suburban since 1975, just love that interior room. Hope I can settle for a smaller interior. I know the longer wheelbase will be great for handling the big trailer, as now with the 131" wheelbase on the suburban its marginal with a heavy high 34' trailer. Thats why I went with the "PullRite" hitch. Thanks again for the input. ;)

Tough Guy
09-23-2004, 17:02
Tom,

I'm with some of the others on the fact that the doors don't shut right on the EC vs. CC Go with the Crew/Short and add the Xtra tank....it worth it for the resale alone. The crews sell faster and for more used, around these here parts.

Cheers

additive
09-23-2004, 20:22
Tanker,

Forget the extended cab and if a CC LB fits into the garage (even if it is a little tight) go with the long bed. :D I have a CC SB Ford and I hate not being able to shut the tailgate on 8' sheets of plywood or sheetrock. The bigger problem is the small tank on the short beds. Especially, the GM truck. I was at the gas pump one day and talking to an owner of a short bed Duramx and he said he really had to watch things out West here because it was scared to death of running out of fuel on trips in Wy. and Mt. wher the pumps can be few and far between. If you add the extra tank on the SB, then you are really tight on space in the back.

The parking differences between CC SB and LB will be minimul as both are too long for most parking spots. You will be parking out in the open areas of the lot with either rig.

But, what do I know, I drive an old Ford now. :rolleyes:

motovet
09-23-2004, 21:02
Don't forget that 45 gallon replacement tanks are available. More fuel without loosing bed space.

n3qik
09-24-2004, 18:46
What sold me on my crew cab was all the junk I need goes behind the rear seat. Can't do that with extened cab. An added thought was more metal between doors for side impack or roll over.

Russ Denman
09-24-2004, 21:06
When I was deciding I asked friends and they said that I would regret having the SB at times. I tried the seating of the CC and EC and found that I would not want to be in the back of an EC for more than a few miles.

I park outside, it won't fit in the garage and parking away from home I park to the back of the lots where I can pull in and drive out of two spaces w/o having to backup. The turn radius (180 degrees) of a EC LB is about 2 1/2 lanes while the CC LB is 3 lanes.

We drive the wife's car if we plan to go downtown where there is parallel parking, the parking spots are too short for a CC LB.

If you are serious about trailering, get a 3500 DRW because you will want a 5th wheel for your next trailer.

tanker
09-26-2004, 09:52
We were out this weekend camping, and there was a Chevy dealer nearby, so we stopped. He had a 2005, D/A CC-SB, and also a 2004, D/A CC-LB. So we tok the 04 out for a test run and we were surprised at the ease of turns etc. for a CC-LB the longest GM vehicle. Also sat in an extended cab, which just wan't our cup of tea. Looks like a CC-LB for us, but I don't want a dooley. May go with a K-3500 D/A SRW, CC-LB. Its just a little more GVWR over the 2500HD.
smile.gif Still looking, but want to see and drive an 05 with electric fan and 605lb.ft. torque.

Lee_klm
09-28-2004, 17:55
I have owned both XC & CC for family vehicles. Being that I have 2 kids and use the truck as a family vehicle, you could not give me an xcab (well I suppose you could give me one). If you rarely transport passengers, the xcab would be fine, and can still transport passengers with reasonable comfort on ocassion. If you have room in the garage, I too would lean towards a long bed. Since I use my truck as a car (and the garage is only 20ft, damn thing), I stuck with the short bed. At times I wish I had a long bed so I could use a truck camper longer than 8.5ft! But good luck in an old parking ramp with a CC LB!

Aluminator
09-28-2004, 18:06
Colorado Kid said it better than I could!!

I have had three with the first being the EC/LB and it is a pain in the butt to use the rear door when in a parking lot!

My next two have been the CC/LB and that "real rear seat" and the 6 more inches make all the difference.

Dennis

tanker
09-29-2004, 01:11
Crew cab, long bed it will be, I'm leaning towards the K-3500 SRW. Has the 265's a little more in the rear springs. I found one local, so will try for a test drive. The K-2500 CC/LB was fine for ride and turning. The garage measured out just fine with 3" to spare when the door is closed. I'll more than likley order one with what options and color we want rather than taking one in a color we might not like after the new wears off. ;)

Kennedy
09-29-2004, 04:42
I should have a TPW today as my order has been accepted/placed. I'm not really in a hurry though as I am hoping there will be some end of year incentives coming up...

additive
09-30-2004, 13:04
Tanker,

Right on!

I am sure you and most are aware of this, but when you order, you should not have to pay anything above dealer invoice for the rig. If you can get into the dealer holdback, all the better, but tougher to do.

Additive