PDA

View Full Version : injectors warranty exception

uncle t
08-03-2002, 18:43
i have read several posts about injector failures and GM doing their best to wiggle out of warranty repairs on them. The problems discussed in CompressorMan's post could have been devastating to him. great that it worked out for him, BUT.....
IMHO GM or at least some of their dealers will use the "failure to properly maintain" the vehicle as recomended or required by the factory to get out of costly repairs.
I have seen the prices the dealers want for fuel filters quoted from 85-110 bucks. I also see the aftermarket filters, made by the same folks that supply GM, on their website for $17. or so.
How are you folks that are installing the inexpensive filters able to prove to GM that you did it at 15k intervals as required. I can have a receipt that shows I bought a case of those things last week. I could change the filter every 2k miles but never be able to prove it. If my injectors went out at say 25,000 miles how could I prove I changed the fuel filter at 15K or any K for that matter. I am probably missing something here but please enlighten me.

GMC-2002-Dmax
08-03-2002, 18:57
uncle t,

As much as I would like to work on my own stuff the Stealer does the oil changes for me. I am one who worries about denial of warranty due to a lack of proper maintenance!!! :eek:

No-one at GM can say I used the wrong oil or filter, didn't have it done when I was supposed to, whatever. Try and wiggle but you worked on it Stealer!!! I got the records, you did the work. If it ain't workin' you worked on it last. :rolleyes:

I always check my reciept for number of quarts used, always check the level before I drive it. I check everything. I even secretly marked my tires to make sure for the $17.00 I get charged they are rotating them for me.

I also pump a small amount of grease in the fittings in between oil changes, just because. The Dealer I use has been great, I will pay more for the parts thru the dealer, and pay for the work. I spent alot of $$$$$$. I don't need to pinch for a few hundred dollars extra over 3 yrs/36K. NOT WORTH IT.

GMC ;)

mackin
08-03-2002, 19:56
uncle t,

I for one do ever thing I can my self .....If i got the wrench and it fits I'm doing it,and I got wrenches ......The dealers have been known to screw up too,and can be a pain to deal with....I've been doing this for a long time without incident, if you want to do your own maintenance I would suggest keep a log of date,hours,and mileage, Plus receipts....If the dealer flexes his or her muscles you can flex right back with documintation....Now where in the handbook does it state you must go to the dealer to get service work done or it will void your warranty.....If it comes to a legal battle, if it goes that far remember it is there burden to prove your at fault.....You'll be way ahead with your log...

MAC

KompressorMan
08-03-2002, 20:46
Since posting my ordeal with the injectors, I've had several thoughts. One, they suggested that I "buy" all 8 injectors and completely clean the fuel tank and flush all the lines. To the tune of about 6500.00 dollars. That was ludicrous because what I saw in the injectors, COULD NOT have gone through the fuel filter, reportedly 2 microns. Also, think about it, filters stop up exponentially up to the point of failure (rupture). That is, if you think about it in terms of a thousand holes or openings when it is new there is very little delta P (differential pressure) across the filter. As a few holes clog, the pressure goes up maybe a tiny bit. Then say half of the filter is clogged and the delta P is 5psi, now we are working with much less surface area and the filter is going to stop up significantly quicker. Up until the point of fuel starvation or rupture (much worse). So, unless the filter has ruptured, GM knows the quality of fuel availiable, they may not have done their job in designing proper filtration. Not my fault.

Also, they did end up paying for 4 injectors, is that an admission of guilt and a possible benchmark case for the rest of you guys. I have since heard of several more failures because of rusting, which is what it looked like to me. The only other problem that I had was the fuel rail leak that certain trucks of a particular build date had. I don't know if there is a correlation, but they did have my fuel system apart. Now as for the original thought about whether or not we buy the filters from GM or buy an approved filter, there is strong law on our side and if we have a receipt, I would say the burden would be on them to prove we didn't do it.
Sorry about the long post
Herb

mackin
08-03-2002, 20:59
Herb,

No apology needed, for what you went through your resolve and info is greatly appreciated here.......Who's that D-MAX running ?

MAC

KompressorMan
08-04-2002, 03:05
Mac,
She's running like a champ. Hey, I've now seen both 03 GMC's and Chevy's. I actually like the front end on the Chevy better than the GMC now. I don't think it looks that must like an Avalanche, maybe resembles it. I think it is a look that will grow on you.
Herb

uncle t
08-04-2002, 08:44
it boils down to a personal choice. I do not profess to be a lawyer :D but I do have 32 years of experience in the "field". One thing to keep in mind. If one ever has to sue the stealer/GM to make good on their express or implied warranty, the burden of proof is on us, the Plaintiffs. If my tranny fails at say 30,000 miles and the stealer says the fluid was black and was so because the fluid wasn't changed at 25k, I would be in the driver's seat if I had their repair order that showed they changed the fluid. I would not be that comfortable with a receipt that said I bought the fluid a few months previously. Just something to think about. It is a personal choice. I always feel better when I can put the t*rd in the other guy's pocket. :D :D :D

Kennedy
08-04-2002, 09:26
I believe a THOROUGH maintenance log book (hand written) along with receipts should be all that one needs...

BadDog
08-04-2002, 12:20
Speaking of log books, I've never kept one before but sounds like now is a good time to start. In the past, all I've done is keep all the receipts in a file and call it good. I'm guessing that when you guys refer to log books it's more than a note book with penciled in notes. I suppose you are referring to a printed commercial type log book? Sorry, I'm a clueless newbie but, what should I look for in a good log book (brands, model number, distributor, description, whatever).

carco
08-04-2002, 13:21
Hello
Baddog, all I have ever kept is reciepts and a chronological log in the owners manual on a couple of blank pages. The date and mileage and service work highlight. The reciepts will back up the dates. In our shop we have customers who have purchased used lease vehicles with warranties who are required to have invoices from ASE certified and ASA member shops to maintain their warranty. They were told a store ( parts store, k-mart, wallyworld, etc) reciept for oil was not good enough! Bob

odoh
08-04-2002, 15:17
If indeed it was a condition of warranty, then it would be inforceable. I fail to see it anywhere as a condition. ~ odoh

Paintdude
08-04-2002, 18:42
Used car warrentys are as much for the dealer service dept as anyone..they will say nothing is wrong with it till the warrenty runs out, then find any other excuse to not pay and you pay full retail to the service dept, because the car is there already and you took it there only because you thought warrenty would pay for it...Your typical insrurance company practices..

New vehicle warrenty is offerd by the manufacturer not a underwriter..the only failure to service a vehicle that would cause serious damage is changing the oil.IMO and it would most likely make it past warrenty..If the fuel filter gets plugged it wont run..Most of the other related damage from not serviceing a vehicle properly in the first 36,000 miles will come to haunt you the owner later down the road, out of warrenty..IMO

I know a guy who had a 95 Dodge 318, bought it new and changed the oil once in 60,000 miles (ya I know the guy is an idiot). then the motor went out on him..He put a used one in it, changes his oil now every 5,000 and has almost 200,000 on it to date..