PDA

View Full Version : oil smell

plowking35
01-16-2004, 17:10
I posted a while ack about oil smell after an oil change. I appreciate the replies from members regarding the cause. Th next oil change is coming up soon, so what brand of oil can I use to limit this odor? It didnt happen when new. What does GM use OEM? Is a synthetic less odory....
Dino

mdrag
01-16-2004, 17:20
plowking35,

I'm using Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 synthetic and notice the odor for the first few hunderd miles after the oil change. I don't consider it to be that bothersome - not too strong of an odor. I tried Delvac 1300 for one change early on, and don't recall it being much different from the Delvac 1.

Lonewolf867
01-16-2004, 21:14
I missed the first post. Have they ever figured out WHY we have this oil smell? Does it have something to do with the EGR system?

Mike

mdrag
01-16-2004, 22:33
Lonewolf867,

Here is plowking35's post (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=007263) asking about the oil smell.

The Duramax crankcase is vented to the atmosphere. On my '01, the breather tube is located on the PS near the front of the engine. Many have noticed that the oil vapor has accumulated on the wire loom and surrounding items - often prompting a search for a non-existent oil leak.

Some have lengthened the hose from the vent to minimize the oil accumulation on the wire looms etc., but this may not be advisable. IIRC, there is a TSB for rear seal oil leaks developing in cold weather. Freezing of the breather tube does not allow proper crankcase venting, leading to the rear seal leak.

jbplock
01-17-2004, 04:37
Originally posted by plowking35:
...so what brand of oil can I use to limit this odor? Dino Dino,

When my truck was new I did several 1000 mile oil changes with Delo 15-40 to "flush the engine. I have used Amsoil 15w40 and Rotella T 5W40 synthetic since then. All three of these oils had the "smell". I'm switching to Delvac-1 at the next change which will likely have it too. Also, if you decide to use the Delvac-1, AVLube (http://store.avlube.com/de1caof4wioi.html) has a special that includes an oil analysis kit with each case of Delvac-1 (also excelent service from AVLube - ordered on line Monday & Oil arrived Wed).
smile.gif

DieselDixon
01-17-2004, 15:02
I was given the same answer from the dealer. Drove me nuts for the first 2 oil changes, then the third I had to ask. I guess it is the sweet smell of fresh oil...

maxinDixon
01-17-2004, 16:08
Noticed the smell too. With Delvac 1 the smell is much less noticable and no longer an issue for me. My 99 cummins really smells after an oil change so much so that I had to route the breather line to well below the cab next to the tranny so now it is no longer a problem.