PDA

View Full Version : Water in fuel light??

Albee
08-04-2002, 20:24
OK, yesterday I had the water in fuel light come on and stay on for about 10 min, then it went out and about 10 min later it came back on. I let the engine cool and opened the drain cock on the bottom of the fuel filter. Drained a fair amount of liquid out. It definitely smelt of strong diesel fuel. I figured, well must have gotten the water out and went about my business. Today coming back from our camping trip I saw the light come on again for maybe 2 or 3 min and go out again. What is the proper procedure for getting rid of the water in the fuel? Thanks!!

KompressorMan
08-04-2002, 20:43
First of all, I've never seen that light come on. But, if I did, I'd stop ASAP and turn it off. This would be most likely after a fill up. Keep your receipt, you may need it. Now, I don't think I'd try to run it out, opting for pumping it out via the hand pump next to the fuel filter. Open the vent on top of the filter and start pumping with the drain open. If you have a clear container you should be able to catch the stuff and see the difference between the water and the fuel
Herb

SDWA
08-04-2002, 23:55
Could be you got a fair amount of water with your last diesel fillup - even though you drain it out of the filter, there's still some in the tank waiting to replace that which you drain!

Save what you drain into a clear jar if possible and you should see the water separate out to the bottom if there is any there. If there's no water and you still continue to get the warning, it could be a bad float switch assembly on the bottom of the filter, or the wires to that unit have become chaffed and are shorting together (or to ground?? Not sure how this circuit switches).

Check the lead to the in-line connector (about 6" long) from the switch housing on the filter to the mating plug next to the block.

Scott