PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filter Inspection Method

woundedbear
08-05-2002, 08:35
Changed my fuel filter just prior to hitting 15K and had a question...How is everyone able to share a description of the filtering media of the changed out filter? Is everyone cutting the housing open? Can you pry the plastic end cap off? I did not have enough time to investigate after the job was complete and it's now sitting on my garage floor until I get some time to take a look at it.

FYI, I partially removed the wheel liner to gain access to the filter and it was a snap...thanks everyone for the tip! It also was not necessary to use a strap wrench during removal and installation, just a couple of rubber gloves for grip. After reading so much about the o-rings staying in place, I was prepared for the worst, but never had a problem after a little grease was applied to keep them in place.

jeffbentleyreich
08-05-2002, 09:42
This may be a stupid question... but, is there an easy way to remove the wheel well clips? That was the hardest part of the job! I used a screw driver to pry out the center insert...

woundedbear
08-05-2002, 10:06
The wheel well clips are actually a two part design. Just insert a small screw driver on both sides of the upper head where the flats are located and gently pry from one side to the other until it separates from the lower portion. The lower portion will then easily remove with your fingers. To reassemble, insert lower portion into the hole, then align and insert the upper portion into the lower portion.

mdrag
08-05-2002, 12:14
woundedbear,

I cut mine open with a filter cutter. There are a few pics in the Oil/Fuel filter comparison album at the first link in my sig.

mdrag aka 'shopsalot' :D tongue.gif

SoMnDMAX
08-05-2002, 12:44
I've also got some pictures from my latest filter change. This filter has 12,000 miles on it. There wasn't much sediment in the filter when I removed it, and the filter itself is actually quite clean. I buy 90% of my fuel from the local Conoco station, which has a very high fuel turnover rate.

http://pic2.picturetrail.com:80/VOL30/136857/1045705/12145452.ptp

SoCalDMAX
08-05-2002, 12:48
Of course, Mdrag has a filter cutter. I haven't gotten quite that esoteric yet. I'm still working on getting a full set of crescent wrenches.

I did use the can opener once. A little messy. The wife was upset, then the cat claimed the food tasted like diesel fuel... the good part is his purring sounds a lot more like diesel clatter than it used to... ;) :D :D

Regards, Steve

stillracing
08-06-2002, 22:25
Hey there,

I used a hammer and smashed the plastic end until it was in many pieces. Then I pulled plastic and filter out with a pair of pliers.

My filter had 10000mi on it and the filter was 3/4 black. No clay like material or anything unusual. I buy my fuel at brand name places or large truck stops.

Next I looked at my allison spin-on filter and found that the dealer did not replace the magnet, it was stuck to yhe old filter :mad: :mad: