PDA

View Full Version : I SAW IT!!! DMax Sub!

Mike Colville
08-05-2002, 10:56
Today...on my way down I75 north of detroit...what passes me by?? A 2500 suburban....with a dmax sticker...Im like, what a poser...they don't make these...as he blows by I notice the mplate on it! So, I catch up to him, and signal is that true...he signals back its the only one....

It was a charcoal grey suburban...so keep your eyes peeled!

Also, it didn't sit any higher than the regular 2500 suburban...i wonder if an allison was under there too...I may never know.

DURA-MAX3
08-05-2002, 11:06
You know it is coming, that will put GM with the only large SUV on the planet with a diesel in it. F^(# is discontinuing the excursion fuel drinking can't sell em' so were quiting vehicle in 2004. It will be good for the people who drive suburbans because they get more power and better fuel economy, but i can't even think of the cost of one of em..... smile.gif :D

SoCalDMAX
08-05-2002, 12:12
OK, STEP AWAY FROM THE CRACK PIPE WITH YOUR HANDS UP...LOL :D :D ;)

Sounds pretty nice, you got quite the scoop there. I woulda asked him if he had any job openings where he worked. ;)

Regards, Steve

bwhuntr
08-05-2002, 12:39
This page gets more entertaining everyday. :rolleyes:

Kennedy
08-05-2002, 12:45
About a month ago, BUICK528 (Jim) told me a friend of his from GM called him to tell her that she had one (prototype) sitting in her driveway, so they must be coming soon!

hoot
08-05-2002, 14:47
Lower hp = longer life!

Kennedy
08-05-2002, 14:58
So long as no major physical/mechanical changes were made, then the Subs would likely gain even MORE and step up to the same level as the trucks depending on the box used...

Chris N5CWM
08-05-2002, 20:30
I hope it's coming soon. Even if GM uses the 4L85E
and detunes the power of the DMax, the mileage will
be much better than a 496 2500. I'm getting 12 MPG
at best. My guess would be high teens average with
low 20's on the highway! smile.gif
Problem is ya gotta Pay to Play. Sticker shock will
be the problem selling the combo because the price
premium for the DMax will likely put the MSRP over
$50,000 for a nicely equipped 2500 DMax Suburban/
Yukon XL 4x4.
If it's true Ford is terminating production of the
Excursion then maybe GM will see an empty market
niche and finally make a diesel Burb again! :cool:

tmg115
08-06-2002, 10:39
all these new trucks. first the van and now a suburban. it looks like our prairs have been answered.

More Power
08-06-2002, 10:57
It's not a 6600.......

MP

DogDays
08-06-2002, 11:44
OK, I'll bite! What is it?

More Power
08-06-2002, 12:07
http://www.thedieselpage.com/duramax/durafaq.htm

MP

DogDays
08-06-2002, 12:35
5.0L! OK, sounds like a good deal. Bet the mileage does get alot better with that engine. Sure would like to see some #'s on engine performance when they are thru with the prototypes. :D :D

More Power
08-06-2002, 20:56
I've tried to get more info on the V-6, but GM/Isuzu isn't quite ready to go public with it. When they are, we'll cover it.

From what I've heard, it'll surprise a lot of folks.....

MP

Maverick
08-06-2002, 21:06
More Power,

You can change the FAQ to one head gasket failure. My 3500. The right head is leaking collant on the front side facing the radiator. The die they put in on Wed gave the leak away. They pulled the alt. bracket for a better look and you can see that it is clearly leaking. They had to order a bunch of stuff and will pull the head and replace the gasket on Mon and Tues next week. I will have pics of all this for everyone. Why me. Truck has just over 88,000.

More Power
08-07-2002, 09:49
Mav,

I suppose it's unrealistic to think that a Dmax gasket would never cause a problem. Too bad it had to be yours.

Dmax-Man mentioned a while back that he saw a returned engine early-on that was pulled for a supposed head gasket coolant leak. On that engine, the leak originated at the t-stat housing, which leaked coolant onto the engine valley, then ran back and wicked onto a head gasket. The dealership diagnosed that one as a leaking head gasket, when it wasn't.

MP

[ 08-08-2002: Message edited by: More Power ]</p>

DogDays
08-07-2002, 12:45
More Power! Where is Stevensville, MT? Wife and I are going to be up in Helena/Bozeman next month for the Dog Shows. How is weather up there in Sept?

[ 08-07-2002: Message edited by: DogDays ]</p>

More Power
08-08-2002, 15:32
September is usually a great time to be in Montana. Weather is generally mild. I've seen it snow here in every month of the year, but June through September is rare.

We'll be tied up on the 6th & 7th, but let me know otherwise.... Between the various Rendezvous' and drop-ins, I've met with at least a couple hundred members and diesel owners.

MP

DogDays
08-09-2002, 16:25
Hope the weather stays good, looking forward to a change of scene from cactus and sand. We will be at the Lewis & Clark County Fairgrounds 13-15 Sept for the Helena & Electric City Dog shows. Drop on by if you get the chance, we will be showing our Champion Pugs and staying in the 5th Wheel.

slagona
10-08-2002, 09:02
Last night, a 1999 vintage 2500 Diesel Suburban rolled by me in stop and go rush hour traffic. As it rolled towards me, I noticed that they had plugged up the bumper cooling holes with what looked like fog lights - how stupid, I thought. Then as it went by, I noticed the Duramax Diesel emblem on the side, above the 2500. It was a dark color, a dark gray - it wasn't black - and had gold pinstriping. I didn't catch if it was a manufacturer's plate. I jumped into traffic, four cars behind it - I planned on following it until I could talk to the driver - but it got away..... I'll keep an eye out for it to see if it's the real deal - It was within a 3 miles of my house that I lost it.....

Is this the same suburban that others have spotted, or was it the new body style for other spottings?

Last month I talked with a Chevy Headquarters Manager who exclusively drives suburbans as his company car. I asked him about the diesel suburbans, and he stated that they've tried many diesels in the suburban - wouldn't give much info, other than they've tried Cat's, Izuzu's, (a long list...... He said it was still several (many) years away from production.

hickcox
10-08-2002, 20:28
Slagona & Mike did you ever think maybe the suburban you guys saw is just some guy so impressed with the Duramax that he installed the emblem on his vechile to impress other people. I think this fellow is just out having some fun.

POS
10-08-2002, 21:05
That's what I think too - they were messing with you. Until I hear a confirmed report from a member that he's seen the DMax in the Burban engine bay and it was put there by Chev, I won't believe it.

However, Chevy better get to work. In the latest issue of Truck Trend, they report Ford as officially stating that the 4.5 liter "baby" PowerStroke will be available in the 2005 F150, Expedition, and E150 van.

The Excursion may be dead in 2004, but it'll be replaced by a long wheelbase (that's right!) Expedition with a diesel. Wake up, Chevy.

Kennedy
10-08-2002, 21:21
Well, in a phone conversation (Monday?) with Jim (BUICK528) who also runs a diesel fuel shop, he said that he has seen a Dmax powered Sub personally...

Tim B
10-09-2002, 21:03
I thought the biggest problem was supposed to be getting the Allison to fit. How would they have solved that ?

Tim B.