PDA

View Full Version : Banks Monster Exhaust

thechevyhdman
05-26-2003, 10:11
Gotta give these guys credit... One of the best overall exhausts I have ever bought and installed. Fit and finish is first rate....and well the sound is awsome....Louder than I thought it would be. I had a flowmaster American Thunder exhaust on a gasser that was loud....this one is even throatier.....but not obnoxious
Easiest exhaust job I have ever done, minus routing the old exhuast out towards the front of the truck(took a while, tons easier with 2 people I assume.) Glad I went with it. Bill

GMCTRUCK
05-26-2003, 10:53
Hey Bill. Glad you're happy with it. As much as you liked the Banks on mine and Mackin's truck I'm suprised it took you this long. They do sound pretty mean and I know you've heard Mac's at full throttle :D so you new what you were getting.

imported_
05-26-2003, 17:33
yes the banks system is cool... nice 'throat' to it..... good rumble at low rpm's..... and at higher rpms...mmmmmmm sounds like a small block with a pms problem!

mackin
05-26-2003, 17:50
It will turn some heads ,no doubt .....

Bout time Bill ....

I NEVER get sick of hearing the mighty deep roar ....

Mac :D :D :D

[ 05-26-2003: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Kevin West
05-27-2003, 15:34
how loaud is this inside the truck i spend many hours on the road and wouldnt like to hear a humm droning me to sleep at night..

mackin
05-27-2003, 17:54
Kevin West

I can still hear the engine and turbo whistle over the exhaust ..... The noisy end is WAAAAAY back there .... Ask the guy behind ya ...

Mac :D :D :D

MaxACL
05-28-2003, 13:49
Kevin West,

Gimme a call at miketheboo@hotmail.com

Mike (MaxACL)

aero
05-28-2003, 18:18
PUT BANKS MONSTER AND DIDN'T TELL THE LITTLE WOMAN. SHE FIGURED IT OUT REAL QUICK WHEN WE HOOKED TO THE 5TH WHEELER AND TOOK OFF TO BRISTOL. SHE DIDN'T CARE FOR THE NOISE, ESPECIALLY UNDER FULL THROTTLE. OOPS smile.gif

tophog
05-28-2003, 20:35
Ooops. I may be in trouble too. :( I did quite a bit of research on exhaust systems and decided on the banks based on the reviews I read, etc. however there weren't many, if any, that indicated the exhaust was LOUD? Have a new 03 with 1K miles ... how much louder then stock? I know that's tough to answer so answer anyway you see fit.

GMCTRUCK
05-28-2003, 21:12
It's just the right amount louder. Not too much not too little. Does that help? ;) :D tongue.gif

ndamico
05-28-2003, 21:27
i don't think my banks exhaust is loud. my 97 1/2 ton GMC gasser was louder and it had cat back gibson exhaust.

the banks is only "loud" (if you call it that) when you have the go pedal on the floor.

and just like mackin said, the turbo is louder..

Kennedy
05-28-2003, 21:37
Someone here said the Banks was slightly louder than mine. I think it was a Texan from their GTG. I'd be curious to know if this was a concensus or just an individual's opinion. There really should not be that much difference unless their muffler is smaller. I DO have a louder muffler available. Just ask SoMNDmax. :D

An additional note is that noise inside the cab is NOTHING compared to the roar outside when getting on the Juice!

cowboywildbill
05-28-2003, 21:44
Hey Guy's I just put the Banks monster exhaust on my truck. It is louder in the cab. I don't think my wife is going to like it. I wish it wasn't quite as loud. I notice it at 55 mph. I really hope it lowers the EGT's like they said it will while towing. I think the EGT's are running just as high empty when I am hammering it. Is there a quieter muffler on the market that will fit the banks system and still flow as well? I would probably spring for that. I'll let you know about the temps next time I pull.

[ 05-28-2003: Message edited by: Cowboy Wild Bill ]</p>

tophog
05-29-2003, 11:11
Ok, picked up Banks exhaust this morning ... sitting in back of truck. Thought I would try installing in garage but not sure if this is possible?

Anyone out there remove the OEM and install banks with truck sitting on ground or do I need a lift?

DMAX Daddy
05-29-2003, 11:24
I did mine on the ground no problem.

Well, after I cut the original exhaust in two right behind the original muffler....

The hardest part was getting the old muffler off the hangers. Just lube the new one up real good and it pops right in.

3-Fan
05-29-2003, 14:07
I did my install in my own garage. Put the front wheels up on ramps and put the back axle up on jack stands. I DIDN'T have to cut my stock exhaust to get it off. I drug it out from behind. If you drop the spare tire, you get the added room you need to twist the exhaust around to get it out over the axle. I lubed the rubber hangers with WD-40 and used a pry bar to slip them off. Took me 3 hours for complete removal and new install.

I also found if you remove the passanger side front wheel liner, the head pipe connection is right there. Makes it much easier to get to than trying to get it from underneath.

Good luck!!
Greg

tophog
05-29-2003, 23:47
Well I got it on smile.gif ... in garage. All I did was jackup the passenger side frame until rear wheel was just off floor, then supported frame with jack stands. Removed rear passenger shock and pushed it out forward. That was the worst part of the job. Putting the banks system on was like working with a 3 yr old puzzle with 4-5 pieces. Took me about 3 hours ... but I'm slow and meticulous. Haven't had a chance to drive yet as my 5 yr old son was home with me today ... you know how that is. smile.gif Started it up and blew the tip thru the side of the garage ... kidding smile.gif Really like the sound ... can't wait to drive tomorrrow ...leaving for quad trip on Oregon coast towing my 21 toy hauler for the first time ... (hope 1100 miles is okay to start towing?) looking forward to the trip, but will take it nice and slow with a few stops to break in the rear diff. At least that's what I've found here/there on this forum.

britannic
05-30-2003, 00:18
When I first fitted my Bank's Monster exhaust to my 6.2L, it was very noticeable, but now, either because I'm used to it, or maybe now it's acquired a soot lining, it seems mellower. YMMV with your Duramax.

I'm planning on getting the Stinger TLC for my Duramax, so I'll be finding out how it sounds for sure!

Originally posted by Cowboy Wild Bill:
Hey Guy's I just put the Banks monster exhaust on my truck. It is louder in the cab. I don't think my wife is going to like it. I wish it wasn't quite as loud. I notice it at 55 mph. [Message trimmed]

[ 05-30-2003, 12:27 AM: Message edited by: britannic ]

cowboywildbill
05-30-2003, 20:38
Well, I took my wife for a ride last night in the truck. She didn't like the added noise, but I didn't have any problem hearing her complain about it,over the added sound of the Monster exhaust as we drove. I guess sometimes maybe it isn't loud enough! "Ha Ha". I really would like it just a little more quiet in the cab. I don't really care how loud it is outside. Maybe someone will come up with a quieter muffler that will fit on the Banks 4" exhaust. I wonder if I could add a second muffler, if that might make it a little tamer. Maybe I'll get used to it in time. I really did like the quiet in the cab from the stock though.I think it does run better now, at least seat of the pants. :D

britannic
05-30-2003, 20:58
I just bought my wife her favorite CD (Cold Play, "Rush of Blood to the Head") and she turns up the Duramax's Bose sound system to the point she wouldn't notice the difference. It sure beats a second (back pressure adding) muffler :D !!

cowboywildbill
06-01-2003, 20:07
I'm wondering if someone were to take the stock exhaust and cut the baffles out so that it would flow pretty much straight through. I wonder if it would still be sorta quiet and flow better with lower EGT's? Also maybe the dealer wouldn't catch on. I have heard from several people that thier dealer's have told them that if they change the exhaust to aftermarket, that it does void the warranty. I wonder if any of them really have voided anyone for that, and if that is just dealer's talking a scare tactic, or if GM really say's that? I would like to hear from any GM mechanics that might know

ratlover
06-02-2003, 07:30
I did that on my 97 z 71 with a 350. It sounded bad, kinda gargly with a wierd cackel if you let off it. It basicly sounded like when your muff starts rotting through. IMO it sounded bad but I figured that heck it was free so why not. If it sounded good I had an exhuaust for free basicly otherwise I was going to put a system on it. I just cut a big square in the bottom, torched out the inner louvered tubes and welded the square back in there. Remember that its SS and sawsalls will eat alot of blades. Thats why i grabbed the torch ;)

They cant void your waranty unless they can prove that what you did caused it and since exhaust will lower temps it cant hurt. But if they wana be a pain then you will have to fight em and they can be a pain about things. It depends on the dealer. Talk to them ahead of time(especially purchase)

Billy T
06-02-2003, 16:52
The Banks Exhaust is virtually un-noticeable at 70 MPH cruise, However at 55 and WOT the moan is annoying. WOT is 82 decibles in the center of the front seat, twice as loud as stock at 72. It has a seweet rumble to it otherwise. Banks used to offer an offset inlet outlet mufler that let the rumble and turbo whine through, but kept moaning out of the cab. This is noticeable more on the Chevy but the Dodge system is noisy in the cab too. The Ford P/Stroke isn't noticeable at all. If you can live with it it is fine, right now I clamped the stock system back on behind the exhaust brake. I spend too much time on the road for all of noise in the cab

VWLURE
06-02-2003, 18:14
Just put on the Stinger TLC today...WOW! It is great. The noise isn't all that bad. Can't wait to tow something to see how it does with a load.

James S
06-02-2003, 18:19
Hey There,

I have a few questions, and some comments. I am vary specific on what I want my exhaust to sound like. However, in saying that, I do not tow alot, but got the truck for the versitility. Given I live in Edmonton Alberta, I want an exhaust or muffler, that will not rust, so I asume I have to go with stainless steel. What are the horse power, torque, etc, gains, with a muffler replacement, OR a complete new exhaust system replacement?? If you remember the 350 that was in the 1994 Silverado Z71's, it had a rhythmic burbel, or deep but quiet lulululululululululululululululululululululu, at idle. Do you understand what I am describing? That is what I want my truck to sound like. In the 94 Z71's, the rhythmic burbel, would obviously increase with speed, steadying to a noticeable, reasonably quiet but aggressive sounding rumble at 100 kilometres an hour cruise, on the outside, and just a hint of this rumble in the cab. I DO NOT WANT my truck to have the sound of a cement truck on crack, or whistling growl like I have heard with the Dodge's, typically from vertical stacks. So, having said this, what should I get??? A dynomax muffler, or exhaust, Magnaflow muffler, Banks Exhaust, Kennedy exhaust, etc?????? Could someone post a sound clip of one or more of these mufflers/systems, from the vehicle being started, and idling, NOT reving? This is alot to ask, but I am not getting a system, without knowing what it sounds like first, to avoid disappointment. Also, which of these systems are available here in Canada? Sory for the long post, but I wanted to be as specific as possible. Thanks for any and all help. I would like to order or purchase in the next couple of weeks at most, so I wait for your replies.

James

imported_
06-03-2003, 00:32
james, where in canada are you bud.... i have the banks on my truck if you wanna hear it firsthand

imported_
06-03-2003, 00:33
ok... i see you are in edmonton... i could meet with you in lethbridge if you wanted to have a listen.