PDA

View Full Version : More Juice Attitude Questions...

afp
01-18-2004, 17:49
I love the Juice attitude module. (Thanks John Kennedy for rushing it out!) I just upgraded from 90 HP Juice to the Attitude and installed it yesterday.

I especially like no defueling until the 4-5 shift. I normally drive like an adult, with only ocassionaly "bursts". My 90 HP juice would defuel a lot during the first "burst" after a prolonged period of adult-type behavior. It needed 2-3 WOT runs before it would only minimally defuel.

Now I do very much like the idea of defueling when it's needed to protect the tranny, but the only place it's needed is the 4-5 shift, TCC locked, with the 125 HP/350 ft lb power setting. I love having my cake and getting to eat it too!

The biggest difference in feel from the 90HP version to the 125 HP setting is acceleration above about 60-70 mph. The 90 HP seemed to start slowing it's rate of acceleration about then while the 125 HP level keeps pulling. No, I don't know how much past 70 the 125 HP keeps pulling, but I did hit 80 mph accidentally during one run and it was still pulling well.

With the low fuel boost set on level three, it feels about like my std 90 HP Juice in terms of throttle response. At low fuel boost level 5, the truck is very responsive, maybe even "throttle sensitive". However, full throttle, "stalled" launches don't seem much different whether on low boost settings 3 or 5, which makes sense.

I will probably not keep it on low fuel boost setting 5 because I think it will hurt mileage. I am assuming that as I increase low fuel boost it injects more fuel sooner, in effect shortening the pedal throw required to get a given level of injection.

I see level 3 as being like a vacum secondary carburettor where level 5 is like a double pumper. Double pumpers usually get worse mileage because every time you touch the gas you get twice the amount of fuel. However, at sustained WOT, the double pumper provides no more power than a single pumper.

Now my questions:

1.) What are the various HP levels? I know level 5 is 125 HP and level 4 is 90 HP. Are the rest 3 - 60HP, 2 - 45 HP, 1 - 30 HP?

2.) Have any of you guys noticed a mileage difference with the low fuel boost set at say 3 vs 5?

3.) How would you guys describe the difference in performance between the 90 HP Juice and the 125 HP setting?

4.) (Statement, then question.) I notice that during WOT launches in 2WD with the convertor stalled to about 1200 rpm, that I spin my 285s three seperate times. Just off launch until just prior to the shift, just after the shift into second gear until just before third, then just after third for a while. I kind of expected continuous spinning of tires. However, it doesn't feel like a defuel. My guess is the delayed spin at launch and shifts is due to the need for boost to build a bit more, and the end of spinning prior to the next shift is just becasue the engine has revved past it's power peak.

What have you guys seen here and what do you think?

Blaine

[ 01-18-2004, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: afp ]

max out
01-18-2004, 18:05
Are you saying your spinning 285 on and off through 3rd gear? sounds like a two stoke powerband, WOW can't wait to get that setup.

afp
01-18-2004, 21:11
It stops spinning in second right before it shifts, then it shifts, then starts spinning in third.

jared
01-20-2004, 17:44
I just bought the juice and attitude and I was wondering if this is normal with other peoples trucks. At about 2300 rpm my truck comes out of either pilot or direct injection. Can't remember which one but the motor gets louder. It usaully want do it till about 2700 rpm.

zip
01-21-2004, 11:32
afp, it almost sounds like the juice/attitude is throwing so much power at your tranny that the clutches are slipping.What do you think? I betcha JK could explain.
zip

drthv8r
01-21-2004, 12:16
1) The answer is on John's page:

Edge Juice module with the Attitude in cab controller/monitor. Power selectable between 5 levels of power: 40, 60, 75, 90, and 125HP at a push of a button!

I love my Hot Attitide.

afp
01-21-2004, 14:53
The Juice will defuel if it detects clutches slipping regardless of how the duefel at shift is set. Additionally, slipping clutches would likely put the tranny in limp mode.

D/A
01-21-2004, 22:05
I already have the hot juice what is the main advanage other than in cab pushbuttons to change levels. I also have guages in the overhead which I dont want to disconnect, Is there any other way without drilling another hole in exhaust manifold?

afp
01-22-2004, 17:42
The Attitude makes the regular juice Hot and takes the Hot Juice to the 145 HP level.

Normal Hot Juice is currently set up to defuel on all shifts with the TCC locked. There is only a need to defuel the 4-5 shift. Edge points out on it's new webpage that thay have not been able to slip the Allison through the 4th gear shift even at 900 ft lbs of torque. However, the Allison can only take about 680 ft lbs during the 4-5 shift.

You can choose what defueling profile you want with the attitude. All TCC locked shifts defueled, only the 4-5 shift defuels, or no defueling at all.

This defueling adjustability has been a noticeable improvement for me. Since I drive like an adult 95% of the time, my truck would adapt to that level of driving, even with my normal Juice always set on level 4. When I'd decide to make a full-throtle run after driving like an adult, the truck would defuel so much it felt like I was lifting the thrttle and manually shifting. It always took 2-3 full throttle passes before the truck would run with only minimal defueling. Now, I have full power available all the time.

You can also set what level of throttle response you want. While this does not affect your WOT performance, it does make a difference in part throttle responsiveness. They call this "low fuel boost" or something like that. At the lower levels there won't be any smoke, and the higher levels there will be. I am running mine on level three. Very little smoke but good pert throttle response. It seems smoother to me on my current setting than when set on max low fuel boost.

A big thing I liked is i was able to get rid of my vision blocking, pillar mounted gauges. The Attitude monitor can be set to display up to four things, and it has EGT and Boost readouts. Mine is set up to show speed (I have larger than stock tires), Boost, and EGT.

It also has a "G-tech" type peformance feature where you can check your 1/4 mile ETs, plus several other features you can use.

Blaine

Jorday
01-23-2004, 15:53
I got my attitude today for my standard juice. It is awesome. The truck has so much power in level 5 I can not believe it.