PDA

View Full Version : No Start Problems

Paul v
11-09-2004, 20:49
I've been having trouble, only occasionally my truck wont start, nothing I do (Priming system) will help this and while driving down the highway the truck surges. To get the truck to start all I have to do is wait a little and it will start.

Something worth noting is that I keep finding air in my fuel filter, I've tried a few things to fix this, ie changing the rubber hose, and o-rings, just waiting until I run low on diesel before I drop the tank to check the connections up there.

The surging still happens when I loosen my fuel cap and there is no air in my fuel system.

I had set a code 35 a while ago, I cleared that and not had it come back.

Things I've checked are:
1)changed fuel filter
2)checked fuel quality
3)checked lift pump

I was thinking that it could be the fsd. If anyone has any advice I would help it

[ 11-09-2004, 08:00 PM: Message edited by: Paul v ]

More Power
11-10-2004, 12:25
Air in the fuel filter assembly would indicate your electric fuel lift pump isn't operating while the engine is running.

An inop lift pump could also explain some of your other symptoms.

The lift pump is powered via a lift pump relay while cranking the engine (in a 1994-95 model year) and by the oil pressure switch whenever a few psi or more of oil pressure has been developed.

You should hear the lift pump run for 1 or more seconds after shutting off the engine (longer when the engine is cold and oil pressure takes longer to bleed down).

MP

Paul v
11-10-2004, 20:26
The air in the lift pump is under pressure and after the air bleeds out there is fuel coming out of the bleed screw.

I also can hear the lift pump under the conditions that you said I should hear it.

I can feel the lift pump working when the truck is idling.

I also checked to see if there were any bubbles coming out of the injection pump, and there was none.

Hopefully this can help you get a better picture of my problem.

Thanks

Paul v
11-11-2004, 20:07
I think that I may have figured out the criteria for my truck not starting. It has no problems starting in the morning when its cold.

It has a hard time starting after the truck has been off for a couple of hours and has been stitting. I leave it for a bit and it starts up afterwards.

The IP has been replaced 3 times with the last owner, but I dont know when it was last replaced, as well I belive that the injectors are originals still.

The surging still occurs at all times.

Anyone have any Ideas?

I followed through all of the turbo tips in the members area except replace the FSD. I'm Thinking this is my next step!