PDA

View Full Version : duramaximizer and potential problems

stilly
01-18-2004, 21:04
Just bought a used 2002 duramax with 20,000 miles with a duramaximizer. I've read several posts on this chip's pros, but little on its cons. I'm debating on pulling this thing out. Concerns:
1) This chip's "performance" will increase the wear on my engine...., in a bad way.
2) The chip could accelerate, or cause, my injectors to go bad.
3) The dealer could "void" my warranty because of me having the chip installed. How would I "prove" that it wasn't the chip?

If I do decide to leave it in (read "lazy" here), but don't use it, is it "affecting" my truck? Even just a little?

Thanks.

JEBar
01-19-2004, 05:56
A couple of years ago I looked at the Duramaximizer and strongly considered purchasing one. Ended up with an Edge Juice box because it can be totally removed in a minute or so. Can any box take a negative toll on a truck .... it would seem to me that it is possible but not certain. Have over 40,000 miles of use of Juice boxes with zero problems to date. My concern with removal was one related to warranty.

Jim

Kennedy
01-19-2004, 07:29
I still run one from time to time, but the pulse width type boxes have far surpassed the pressure boxes many times over.

The pressure type box got a bad rep due to fuel system leaks. Many times it was simply coincidental that the box was on the truck, but of course, you know who gets blamed...

The major drawback as I see it for warranty, is the degree of difficulty in removal prior to dealer/warranty service. If you find that R&R of this device is not a serious burden, then I wouldn't worry about it. Keep in mind though that this device does not add power to lesser pedal positions so you need to step deeper into the pedal to get the gains.

Quote from my web site:

Warranty Issues:
Most modifications shown here should not cause warranty concerns but remember: "Out of sight = Out of mind!" Any of the modules/programs listed her can be removed and there is really no way of detecting their use by the dealer. Now as for warranty issues, YES the dealer can refuse warranty due to the use of ANY module. There is the Magnusson-Moss warranty act that says the dealer/mfr must prove that the aftermarket device caused the failure directly, BUT the long and short of it is this: THEY hold all the cards, and in most cases, what they say goes. It all depends how much time/money you have to throw into a court case IF the need should arise! Again, "Out of site = Out of mind..." Try to keep on the good side of your dealer, and HOPE he/she is open minded!

stilly
01-19-2004, 20:14
Thanks for the replies. Kennedy et. al: If I'm not all that interested in extra power, should I take the Duramaximizer off? By having it hooked-up, is it increasing my chances of "future" problems?

Kennedy
01-20-2004, 07:01
If you don't want the power, I'd definitely take it off. Then the risk of dealer discovery is none...

stilly
01-20-2004, 18:53
Let me rephrase that...., I like the power, but not so much that it lessens the life of my engine. If I leave it hooked up, but don't use it let's say, is it negatively affecting my truck?
Thanks.

Kennedy
01-21-2004, 06:49
It shouldn't hurt you. The only problem that I have had I believe came down to a connector issue.

Does this one hook to the boost sensor too?

stilly
01-21-2004, 19:56
I have no idea. What do you mean by a connector issue?

Kennedy
01-22-2004, 06:27
I think something came unplugged, or it lost power. The engine would not idle properly so I removed it. I later reinstalled it and it worked fine.

The Duramaximizer hooks to either 2 or 3 points under hood. Fuel psi sensor, APP module, and possibly boost sensor depending on version.

The boost sensor for 2002 up trucks is found in the image below. Lower RH corner, it has the gold sticker on it. If there is a Y connector plugged in, then that is the Maximizer. If there is no additional plug within 6" if the sensor it does not.

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/images/Dmax-Boost-sensor-Location2.gif