PDA

View Full Version : Low Fuel Light - Is it consistant?

chuntag95
05-27-2003, 08:35
I know there are those who run to the low fuel light everytime. I have only seen it 2 or 3 times. For those that do, is it consistant the amount of fuel you put in when it comes on? I put in more than what I would expect and the light is not on. Just wondering.
Chris

NWDmax
05-27-2003, 08:45
Chris:The one time the low fuel light came on I had my camper on the back.
When I got to the filling station(about 20 miles)I had about 1 to 2 gallons left.Scared me it was so low!I keep the top half full now! smile.gif

dieselburb
05-27-2003, 09:06
I run the light as often as not and there is no consistancy between when it comes on and when it should. Best to go by odometer as well for a round about average per tank.

chuntag95
05-27-2003, 12:27
I do go by mileage, I guess that's why I noticed. I don't like to get below a 1/4 (how ever much that really is) but do on occation if I want to fill before a trip or something. You know when you push an extra day so you don't have to go twice. Just wanted to see if I need to get my eyes checked or if I am really that eratic on filling up. I figure if I go to the exact same pump, at the exact same station, that should limit my variability.

AlanL
05-27-2003, 12:33
According to the shop manual, the level at which the light goes on is about 1.86 gallons...

This is way too low for my liking, especially while towing.

I thought my low fuel light was broken when I first got the truck because my level would get pretty low and it still wouldn't come on. It turns out that I was still above 2 gals of fuel left, so I had never seen the light.

-Al

chipper
05-27-2003, 13:05
Mine has been on 3 times, about 3+ gallons left each time. smile.gif

Turbo Al
05-27-2003, 13:21
I ran mine out on purpose -- 80 -- miles (bobtail) so I could go through the whole prime/start sequence. I actually recomend this to everyone, just make sure you read the manual, locate the primer & vent have a dime or screwdriver (to open vent) and a full 5 gal jerry can smile.gif The 6.5 is actually harder to start after running dry.
Who knows maybe someday someone else will run out of fuel and you can get them going. I got a 6.2 going just outside my place and the next day the fella delivered a :D home baked apple pie :D and a thank you note from him and his wife.

GMC D-Max
05-27-2003, 17:16
I've ran mine to the "low fuel" indicator on several occasions, and it has never taken more than 29 gals. to fill it. Mine seems to consistently trip with about 5-6 gals. left in the tank.

CanadaKev
05-27-2003, 20:17
First time the light came on I was down in Utah pulling a 42' trailer into a headwind @ midnight.
Had been looking for a diesel station for miles. Finally found one. Pull off to fuel up, put in a 1/2 gallon. The station was out of diesel. Pull back onto the interstate and call up Onstar. "How far to the next diesel station I'm runnin' low?" She comes back on and says "About another 60 miles". I figured I was barely gettin' 10 miles to the gallon. I made it to the station(ended up being only 45 miles),and put in 32 gallons.(whew!!)

Second time the light came on I was only 10 miles from home. I was not towing anything. I never made it home. Ran out 2 miles from home :confused:
go figure???

Since then I've had the light come on 4 more times. I have stopped and fueled up immedietly.
Every time I have put 131L in a 128L tank, so when my light comes on now it means I'm empty even though the gauge still registers just under an 1/8 of a tank.

The low fuel light is very unreliable on my particular truck. Just my personal observations.

Kev

mguebert
05-27-2003, 20:20
Mine comes on every time with about 500-520 miles on the odometer and takes almost exactly 29 gallons to fill. Very consistent for me.

HotShot
05-27-2003, 21:19
Mine comes on consistantly at about 108-110 litres, 25 litres left.

1/2 inch/13mm works better on the bleeder. Screwdriver starts to make a mess of the bleeder after a dozen times.

6.5 TD was to easy to bleed; open bleeder, remove fuel pump relay, jumper relay contacts; electric pump does all the work.

Merconvert
05-28-2003, 00:24
Hey gents, I solved the problem,of running out of fuel. Didn't spend much money or lose much Bed Space. Get a 18 Gal. tank ,found behind the seat in old pickups. I paid $15.00 for the tank and about $0.00 for the pump and pluming. Mount it at the front of the Bed ,just like it set behind the seat,in the ole truck. Tanks are clean, they never seen the sun. I've put three in D A's so far. You lose about7" of bed. Just my two cents. Be Good be careful. Going Fishing

Bob

Merconvert
05-28-2003, 00:29
OOPS Can't spell tonight, Plumbing& Pump Cost $40.00 Still a good deal. Thinking of those Cat Fish awaitin.

Bye

AlanL
05-28-2003, 06:35
The numbers I quoted from the shop manual were for the short bed/26 gal tank.

The larger tank has a larger reserve when the light goes on.

DMAXED
05-28-2003, 20:39
I run mine down to the light just about every time and the light is on for 20 to 30 miles before I fill up and never got the fuel tank to take more then 30 gallons the light seems to be consiscant on my truck