PDA

View Full Version : atf and fuel

ctm
01-20-2004, 19:37
the gm dealer filled my new fuel filter with atf...is this sop

More Power
01-20-2004, 20:17
No....

That is an old trick used by diesel mechanics of old. I doubt this particular instance would hurt anything, but there is more or less unanimity among the diesel fuel injection industry that ATF should not be used as a fuel treatment.

When in doubt, try to follow the GM guidelines regarding the use of fuel treatments, for at least through the warranty period.

MP

dieseldummy
01-20-2004, 20:22
What is the reason for not using ATF?

Commuter Cop
01-21-2004, 04:29
To my knowledge mechanics do that to save them time in priming filter. As said before it is an old trick and they use ATF because it is supposed to be cleaner than diesel fuel making it less likely to mess up injectors. I think it's a little risky with our high pressure fuel system because if there is any contamination in the ATK fluid its heading straight for the injectors.

Just my 2 cents. ;)

george morrison
01-21-2004, 08:35
Interesting timing: I recently overviewed a large, electronic injection diesel engine teardown which had been plagued by injector issues, primarily that of carbon formation at the injector orifices. The machine had to have injectors replaced continually, with 5 complete injector sets replaced in 7,000 hours operating time. However, the exact same machine at another location had operated 10,000 hours with no injector failures or replacements, which is why the company wanted me to examine the engine. The injectors were indeed almost completely shrouded with carbonacious solids.. Fuel was purchased from the same supplier at both locations..
On inspection of the diesel fuel tank, I noted red stain at weld points and as the fuel system was dismantled, red stain throughout.
The rest of the story: the mechanic at this site was of the 'old school' and regularly added a quart of ATF to the 75 gallon fuel tank (once a month, at least).. He increased the rate of ATF additization when the machine began to have injector problesm (at $575 each for replacement +machine downtime)... The mechanic never did put two and two together, moreover condemned the new machine and electronic injectors....
ATF contains a whole host of addtives which are designed to extend automatic transmission life. Things like detergents, and non burning additives.. Which produce solid carbon residues...
So, the rest of the story.. Do NOT use ATF as a diesel fuel additive in our state of the art diesel engines!!!!
George Morrison

Heartbeat Hauler
01-21-2004, 09:56
The injectors were indeed almost completely shrouded with carbonacious solids.. He said carbonacious... ehh ehh :D :D