PDA

View Full Version : More Predator Q's...James??

DinoMax
08-29-2003, 09:38
I read in another post that the Predator has some new tunes available w/ higher HP, lower EGT's, and less smoke, so I called Diablo direct. They are only about 30 minutes south of me here in Florida.
The girl that answered the phone asked me what version I had. I told her I upgraded to v1.04 back in May, and she said that there are no new tunes available for the Duramax since my upgrade. :( Are the upgrades only available through James @ runninwiththedevil, or did I just get bad info? Also, if upgrades are available, is there a charge? How much?? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks, DinoMax :D

orange2
08-29-2003, 13:10
if new tunes are standard and not options the upgrade is free. James said a new upgrade is still a few weeks off and I am not surprised some girl on the phone wouldn't know about it. I am very anxious for the 120hp tune.

FIRELT
08-29-2003, 16:07
dinomax-------i live just south of them and know one of the tech.'s ,he said that there are new tunes coming ,maybe as soon as the next week or two

DMax_Doug
08-29-2003, 16:24
I left an email at RWTD's website about a week ago that has not been answered on the same topic. I would be more interested in tuning improvements to the existing tunes (40,60,85,100) than newer tunes, mainly in the area of lowering the soot level produced by the v1.04 that I have.

In the meantime I've been running the Quad Stealth Tow tuner, which produces 1/4 the smoke on the 110HP setting than the Predator does on 40HP. I've heard the Stealth programmer adjusts timing as well as injector pulse width.

I can say for certain the Predator has come catching up to do - the Quad pulls much stronger at similar HP settings, is nearly smoke free (none at all up to 70HP), and is not as touchy off-idle, and runs cooler than the Predator in normal or aggresive driving.

Doug

DinoMax
08-29-2003, 16:44
FIRELT, since you have an inside track w/ one of the tech's :cool: ,let us know when the updates are available. Your truck looks great! Did you do the cat filter install yourself, or at a shop? Install looks very clean. Was considering a secondary filter, but don't really want to tackle it myself. Have you had any air issues? As usual, everyone here is real helpful. Thanks all, DinoMax :D :D

ndamico
08-29-2003, 16:54
Dinomax - to answer your original question. the updates have yet to be released and from what i know are in the final stages and should be released soon. i believe james posted this info on another thread..

Nick

orange2
08-29-2003, 17:03
My pred barely smokes on the 40 or 60 hp levels and once the boost comes up on the others in is noticable, but not bad. On the 100, yea its pretty bad before the boost, but it make people put there windows up and kills moisquitos!

GMC-2002-Dmax
08-30-2003, 19:14
Originally posted by orange2:
My pred barely smokes on the 40 or 60 hp levels and once the boost comes up on the others in is noticable, but not bad. On the 100, yea its pretty bad before the boost, but it make people put there windows up and kills moisquitos! You should see it with a VA pressure Box :eek: :eek:

People turn on headlights, or so I have been told.

Right Scooter :eek:

GMC ;)

FIRELT
09-04-2003, 16:50
Talked to a tech. i know at predator,he said new tunes should be out monday,he said shifting is more like factory ,no defueling,big improvement,we will be very happy,they are saying with the 120 hp they are recommending bigger exhaust and some kind of aftermarket air intake besides factory, and gauges if you tow heavy,well that's what he told me ,hope it's true,mike

DinoMax
09-04-2003, 17:15
FIRELT, thanks for the update. I will give 'em a call next week to see about upgrading mine. DinoMax :D :D

RWTD
09-06-2003, 00:36
Okay, since the cat was pretty much let out of the bag last week, I'll go ahead and spill the entire beans ;)

The new tune levels will be 0, 40, 65, 85, and 120. The 65 will put out about 75, and 85 around 100, and the 120 anywhere from 115 to 130 depending on the modifications on the truck (if the truck has exhaust and an intake it should make over 120 easy).

All the shifting will be vastly improved and should feel like stock, and there will be none of the previous defueling that was associated with the old tunes. All of the issues with the overboost codes and limp mode has been fully rectified, and the EGT's have been lowered substantially compared to before. The drivability has been improved upon, and there should be no more just off idle twitchiness as some have reported before.

The same end-user options that was there before will remain; tire size, axle, and speed limiter adjustability. Also, the years covered are all Duramax years, which is 2001, 2002, 2003, and 2004.

The price on the unit will remain the same, which means you will see me sell the unit for the standard $449 with FREE UPS Next Day Air Shipping. All revision upgrades will be free to the current customers, and DiabloSport only asks that you pay for shipping. In order to get the revision upgrade, you will need to contact DiabloSport at general@diablosport.com and ask for the instructions on returning the unit for the revision upgrade. Please state your name, what year, make, and model of the vehicle you have, and the current type (Duramax Predator) and version (v1.02, 1.03, 1.04, etc.) of the Predator you have now. Please be patient on the reply back from DiabloSport, as undoubtedly they will get bombarded with emails from this new revision update.

A BIG special thanks to the near 10 members of this board who volunteered their time and their vehicles to do the testing on the new tunes for us, for the last few months. I greatly respect each of you for being so considerate and friendly with us. Johan of DiabloSport, and I, personally can't thank you enough!

Very Sincerely...