PDA

View Full Version : Help! 2004 HD's with 2 diesel engines?

Doc Robbs
05-27-2003, 13:34
Just came back from the dealer ordering my 04 2500HD CC LB SLT. The dealers order page lists 2 diesel engines with different codes. There was no description of them. Is this the newer DMax and the same ol 03? Which code do I tell them I want.

Dealer is holding the order until he can find out. but he called his sources and no one seemed to know.

Since I have been waiting for a Dmax since they were anounced and wanted a 03 but couldn'tfind it at the last moment I getting real anxious.

Anyone know the difference and which code should I tell him to order?

Thanks

Doc Robbs
David Robinson
Doc Robbs at Yahoo dot com

britannic
05-27-2003, 14:01
For the 2003 models, there is a California, Massachusetts and Maine version of the engine with EGR/cat etc. and a version for everyone else, probably the 2004 models have the same options.

[ 05-27-2003: Message edited by: britannic ]</p>

Doc Robbs
05-27-2003, 17:11
Thanks
This certainly could be. However there are codes to pick separately for the various states requirements on both the 2003 and 2004 webs pages.
For 2004 this seems to be something altogether new and nobody seems to be aware of the differences.

Maybe I unrealistic thinking that the dealer and/or district reps who have been ordering 2003 models would know it. Thats why I think this is different

Now for all the tough decisions. If I do have a choice for the new engine with a turbo(untested-doesn't seem to be a working concept for F**D), exhaust gas recirculating ect do I want it. Or should I stick with the tried and true motor?

Funny how I make lots of critical decisions every day but can't make simple decisions about the truck I'm going to buy. It's driving me nuts. Well could be worse. I could have to decide on bad things instead of this "fun" stuff.

Thanks
Doc Robbs

[ 05-27-2003: Message edited by: Doc Robbs ]</p>

NCalDMax
05-27-2003, 17:21
Doc,

"Funny how I make lots of critical decisions every day but can't make simple decisions about the truck I'm going to buy. It's driving me nuts. "

HAH! Man Oh Man can I identify with THAT!!!

Yessiree, I spend other people's money like water, but when it comes to MINE, you'd think it was my last $$

And I thought I was the only one........

Insofar as your question is concerned, sorry don't know a thing. smile.gif

[ 05-27-2003: Message edited by: NCalDMax ]</p>

FisHn2DMax
05-28-2003, 00:33
DOC,

Here's my $.02,
If you're ordering an 04, Go for it and get the latest and greatest Motor offering! You know the DMAX Engine is good and that won't change in the 04, the variable turbo is the only new planned change. You'll have a 5 year warranty and more low RPM power than the 03's. So what if it has an EGR set-up? You'll just be nicer to the environment than the rest of the older diesel crowd.

Seriously, this decison is one you'll need to make on blind faith. I highly doubt anyone here has first hand experience with the 04 DuraMax engines.

Good Luck! :D

77TransAm
05-28-2003, 07:38
The current Duramax (LB7) will remain in production for the beginning of the '04 model year. Sometime around January of '04 the new Duramax (LLY) will go into production. This is the upgraded engine that everyone speculates about with different turbo, etc. Are these the two codes you are talking about?

On edit: FisHn2DMax, don't doubt it TOO highly! smile.gif

[ 05-28-2003: Message edited by: 77TransAm ]</p>

chuntag95
05-28-2003, 07:52
Isn't there also an injector change where they can remove them without pulling the engine apart? I seem to remember that being tied to the new turbo as well. I think dmaxalli Tech gave info on it.

Buck
05-29-2003, 12:10
2 Diesel engines? Maybe the guys were telling the truth :confused:

I was talking to some GM guys the other day and they were talking about retooling mid summer for "NEW" Tahoes and Suburbans. Seems that a diesel will find its way into the bus.....finally. I don't know if its true or not, only time will tell.

kbrowns
05-30-2003, 12:04
Doc Robbs,

Just curious to find out what the codes were for the diesels. Was it the California emissions or was it as 77TransAm referred to, the LB7 or LLY? I too have been pondering this decision. To EGR or not. Seems to be a lot of feelings against the EGR, not only this site, but the Cummins boys are pretty adamant about not having EGR. But with the injector problems people have been talking about, the external injector I would think would be a plus. And the VVT or VGT would be nice for the low end grunt. Decisions, decisions.

Doc Robbs
05-30-2003, 20:44
The two codes were LB7 (same old Dmax) and LLY (I believe). I haven't anything from my dealer as yet however I was too busy today to check. I told him to try and get the LLY and see what kind of a delay it means.

It seems the change is going to be related to the larger heads, rerouted injectors, VV Turbo, Cat converter and EGR.

I am not thrilled with the EGR portion, Cat converter is a tossup as I'll probably keep the thing stock for quite a while then go to a larger exhaust. VV Turbo probably better--MORE BOOST. Rerouted injectors and bigger heads a definate plus.

Only down side is how much longer I'll have to wait.

Doc Robbs
David Robinson

[ 05-30-2003, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: Doc Robbs ]

FirstDiesel
05-31-2003, 05:21
And you would be one of the first with the new engine configuration.

fred
05-31-2003, 10:34
great now we have to buy new trucks ,just to keep up with the joneses