PDA

View Full Version : LIFT PUMP WIREING

gene smith
08-29-2003, 15:57
have seen people say they are going through a oil pressure switch, then some through a o/p switch and then through a relay, my question is why not through a line from the ingnition switch with a switch to turn it on and off under the hood while bleeding the air after a filter change. what am i missing.

SS396
08-29-2003, 16:08
Gene, in case of an accident and there are ruptured fuel lines, with power still to the pump, that could cause major problems.

With engine off, no oil pressure, no power to the lift pump.

I am going through the same thing, getting ready to add a lift pump.

dmaxalliTech
08-29-2003, 18:49
I dont remember who did it but I think it was jbplock.. He has a momentary on switch mounted to his ground bracket to prime the system for filter changes.

As far as wiring goes, I would use a relay due to the pump pulling some juice(no pun). Find a op switch that will provide a ground when there is pressure present( I havent found one yet) and use that to trigger the ground side of your relay, you can run a seperate lead from the same terminal on the relay to a switch that will also provide a ground to use for priming after filter change. Mount the switch wereever is convienent for you.

chuntag95
08-29-2003, 18:59
I have a pushbutton switch that I can use to prime the filters as well. Mounded right above my Mega.

a64pilot
09-02-2003, 07:10
dmaxalliTech,
I don't know, but IIRC my old 6.5's lift pump was controlled by it's oil pressure switch. Could we use the 6.5's? It would be nice to use the local GM dealer for replacement parts if necessary.