PDA

View Full Version : changing the alternator

kavik
01-22-2004, 17:05
I have a 2001 gmc duramax that came with the base generator (102 A) - I got the below info from a previous post - I wish to swap out my 102 A for the 130 A so I get a little more without going to the dual setup - Are they a direct swap, no other changes needed? Can the alt be found aftermarket cheaper/or somewhere that doesn't want the core exchange (the 102 is working great!). Anyone have part #'s for the 130 A and are the two 130's listed below interchangable for the main alt (or is the one listed as dual for the other mounting bracket)? Thanks Chris

Base
Generator Model Delphi AD230
Rated Output 102 A
Load Test Output 71 A

Optional (Dual)
Generator Model Delphi AD244
Rated Output 130 A
Load Test Output 91 A

Bosch

mdrag
01-23-2004, 09:14
kavik,

The alts should be interchangable. However, when I did the dual alt install using a PowerMaster 200A, I discovered that the PM was a tight fit on the PS and would have required some work to fit there.

The AD244 or Bosch 130A may present the same challenge if installed in the PS OEM location. I don't have the part #s for the different alts. Good luck.

GMC D-Max
01-28-2004, 13:56
The 130a alternator fits the passenger side with no issues. I upgraded the 102a to the 130a after I did the dual-alt upgrade. The case is a little bigger than the 102a, but it fits. Also, because of the difference in size, you have to crank the tensioner a little more to get the belt back on, but there's enough travel in it to work.

I picked up both 130a alts (AD244) on eBay. There's a seller, "truckandrvsupply" who has new take-offs that they offer occasionally. Expect to pay around $85 for one.