PDA

View Full Version : High Idle Question

DMAXED
05-27-2003, 19:02
I just got through installing the high idle when i hooked the batteries up and started the truck up the reduced engine power light came on scared the crap out of me . The high idle works in all three rpms 800 1200 1700 the truck is a 01. After starting the truck up three or four times the light went out I have not driven the truck yet is this because the batteries were disconected or did i screw something up ?

DMAXED
05-28-2003, 16:07
Has this happend to anyone else ?

mackin
05-28-2003, 16:18
DMAXED

It's the first I've heard ....The Mil light will extinguish it self at 3 consecutive start cycles,without an additional failure ..... But a code will remain untill 40 consecutive warm-up cycles .... From Helms ....Unless you can clear before hand with a scan tool ... Maybe it was just a voltage issue ..... I doubt you screwed anything up .... You would know if you did .....

Mac smile.gif

[ 05-28-2003: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

DMAXED
05-29-2003, 17:07
The reduced engine power light came back on when I started the truck this morning stepped on the go pedel and no go , The truck would only go 35 mph with my foot to the floorboard this does not sound good . On my way home from work everything seemed ok five minutes into the ride the light came back on but I could still drive the truck ok just not as much power as normal . When I got home disconected the batteries ,hooked them back after about half hour everything was ok for five minutes then the same deal , when the light comes on the cruise control does not work I drove to autozone to see if they read the codes and it came up with randem cylinder misfire (the high idle switch is off), low egr input. did I damage the ecm or does the high idle just not like my truck . any info would helpful thank you

mackin
05-29-2003, 19:00
I'm just making suggestions and asking a few question to and try and help..... ;)

Who's instructions did you use ??

What type of switch are you using ??

Have you tried disconnecting switch ??

Are you sure that the wire coming thru the firewall is well protected and not grounding out ??

You tap'd pin number 71 in the ECM and found a key on only source of 12 volt power ??

Mac

:confused: :confused:

[ 05-29-2003: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

DMAXED
05-29-2003, 19:22
Mackin

I got the instuctoins from jk's web page ,the switch is a radioshack spst contact the reduced engine power light came on before I hooked the switch to 12v I will have to check the wire coming into the cab I came thruogh the main rubber boot under the brack booster, and I did tap into c71 the high idle works fine .

Thanks for the reply

mackin
05-29-2003, 20:07
You might have to check and make sure none of the pins backed out on the plug on the ECM connector ..... To ensure good contact is being made on all "other" locations .....It's probably something simple and over looked ....

I shorted my ECM fuse once ,bro ..... :eek:

Mac

HotShot
05-30-2003, 02:02
Have done a couple of these and never seen anything like that.

Would suggest when looking at the pins in the ECM connector as mackin suggests, to check you haven't bent any pins on the ECM. Is it possible you over or under tightened the ECM connector?

Are you sure about your power source? Did you tap into something you shouldn't?

DMAXED
05-30-2003, 17:46
When I got from work today I took a look at the conector it looked like it was not in all all the way like hotshot mentioned , when I took it apart the rubber seal was not set right fixed the seal put it back together all is good now smile.gif that is a big relief

thanks for the replys