PDA

View Full Version : Lemon Law?

Stizoj
05-28-2003, 08:02
I was wondering if any of you guys have any experience with the lemon law. I purchased a new truck about five weeks ago that had zero power. Took it in to a dealer after a week and it has been there ever since. The dealer does admit there is a problem but they don't have the slightest idea. I've been getting the run around for the last three weeks. I must have called thirty times asking for info and have only received a single phone call from them. The manager and mechanic all mysteriously disappear when I show up.

I have been patient with them but this is ridiculous. I am losing a lot of money by not having this truck. Today was the last straw. Went in this morning when they promised me an answer only to have this 250 lb dough boy smirking and shrugging his shoulders at me. His sarcastic tone was almost enough for me to grab him from behind the desk and body slam his gelatinous body on the concrete floor and back over him with my useless truck.

I've had enough. I'm going to call around to find out some info. I would like to just get a lawyer and not even look at these people again. I bought the truck and live in PA but the shop is in NJ because I am in that area a decent amount of time and they USED to do good work. If anyone has had any experience with this and has any insight it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

ratlover
05-28-2003, 08:37
Have you tried calling GM? The number for unresolved complaints? Its in your manual.

This dosnt sound like a problem with GM but one of its representitives. Sounds like you got a really crappy dealer. :(

Hopefully GM will resolve this for you.

That sucks man :(

Edit: it dont really sound like a lemon law case. Thats more for a truck thats constantly broke not a case of a jackass of a dealer.

[ 05-28-2003: Message edited by: ratlover ]</p>

More Power
05-28-2003, 11:53
It amazes me that some people who are having a problem will first jump to the lawyers, then post their complaints and legal action plans in a public venue before exhausting other avenues.

Certainly, if anyone is having a problem, posting a plea for help here in this forum in entirely appropriate. Failing that, perhaps a private email or phone call to TDP admin/moderators could help.

Once someone posts a message having anything to do with lawyers or legal action, those best equipped to help don't want to get involved.

MP

dmaxalliTech
05-28-2003, 13:38
I have to agree with MorePower on this. Legal action is quickly jumped to as a solution many time. Those that can help are helpless once the lawyers get involved. It is very benificial to post concerns in here as they is a lot of knowledgable people in here that can assist in trouble, also more then one dealer should be tried if the first one is unsuccesfull. The gm reps remember people that were upset and when they go to legal actions with out going through the proper channels, however lenthly, are less likely to get assistance on out of warrenty problems, at least thats the case around here....I know extended problems are very frustrating but it may be wise to take it to a different dealer that might be more knowledgable on the trucks. Theses are very sophisticated rigs and there arnt many people out there working on them.....

HD-Nate
05-28-2003, 14:48
OK, I have been there and done that with GM on a Buick a few years back. Here is the procedure.

*****YOU DO NOT NEED A LAWYER*****

My lawyer said that the consumer is the best witness during any arbitration. Lawyers will just muck this process up!!! :D

1st it must effect the drivability or safety of the vehicle. Obviously you qualify.

2nd you must give GM (not the dealer) a chance to resolve the issue. Call the number in your owners manual for customer service or problem resolution.

3rd if the above does not correct the situation, contact the Better Business Bureau

I have been through the process and have helped several others with the BBB and GM. It works and will almost always favor the consumer as long as the criterion listed on the BBB web site is met.

I have seen people complaining that the dealer can not or didn

Nixter
05-28-2003, 19:44
If your problem causes serious danger like stalling while merging, or major brake failure and has happened more than a few times you may see fast action. Otherwise in most states you would likely be facing a lenghthy and exhausting process that could take several months. If in the end you should choose legal action you had better have a good documented record of having exploited the proper means of other resolution. --Nick

BADMAX
05-28-2003, 20:05
Stizoj. I AM A TECHNICAN AT A NJ CHEVY DEALERSHIP, EMAIL ME IF YOUR LOOKING TO TAKE IT ELSEWHERE KEVINMALIBUMAN@AOL.COM
PLEASE GET BACK TO ME EITHER WAY

NewEnglandDmax
05-28-2003, 20:05
Stizoj,

I have succesfully used the lemon law on my wifes car. i did a search on google for Massachusetts lemon law, you try your state. That brought me to the states attorney general website that had a form letter and the addresses of every car manufacturors corporate HQ. I then sent the letter certified mail. By law, once they receive this letter they have 1 week to fix the vehicle. Well a few days after i mailed the letter I statretd getting calls from the factory rep. Wanted me to meet him at the dealer. gave me a nice loaner. They could not fix the problem so the law required them to refund me my money less something like 30 cents a mile. Well, i had the car 10 months and 7000 miles so we got pretty much most of our money back. Good luck and please keep us posted.

John

Stizoj
05-28-2003, 22:05
Easy there guys. Just cause I am from a state with a bunch of sue happy jerk offs doesn't mean I am jumping to it right away. I wrote that right after I came back from the dealer so cut me some slack, I was just venting. I did call an attorney today though. I see nothing wrong with keeping my options open and knowing my rights.

I read the lemon law awhile back and it would apply in this case. It is a problem that seriously hinders its intended purpose and it has been in the shop for 32 consecutive days. I'd prefer not to wait three to nine months for arbitration so I will try a few other options first. That and this truck has exactly the options I wanted. I don't want something similar.

Tomorrow I am calling the dealer to tell them to put a bandaid on the truck cause I am coming to pick it up. Going to take it to a dealer that deals more with commercial trucks. Hopefully have more luck with guys who are actually real diesel mechanics. Wouldn't be surprised if it was a simple problem and they had it fixed in a day.

I'm sure I will finally get to talk to a manager when he hears I'm taking the truck. Should be enjoyable.

Thanks for the advice guys. Much appreciated

NCalDMax
05-29-2003, 17:36
Stijoz,

Do you literally mean your 5-week old truck has been in your hands just for the first week, but in a dealer's shop ever since?

I'm trying to "picture" this situation, without success.

Sorry, but I'm still wondering if you're having a bit of fun with us here??

saywhat
06-15-2003, 09:48
I agree with H-D Nate.I had a 2001 gasser that did not run right but was driveable.After 9 months of repeated attempts by dealer to fix it I contacted the BBB Autoline which resulted in immediate action from GM.After one offer from GM that was not in my best interest the BBB set up an arbitration date.GM wanted to avoid that at all costs and offered to buy back or replace the truck.Less than two months passed from the time the BBB stepped in and the issue was resolved.I have to say that I never got nasty with the dealership or GM.In your case if talking to management at the dealership does not immediately resolve the issue call customer service(a formality),they will refer you back to dealership but they should inform you of your option with the BBB Autoline.I think when GM hears from the BBB Autoline they will be looking for a replacement vehicle fast.