PDA

View Full Version : Aux tank problems

jcummins
05-28-2003, 11:34
I had a custom size fuel tank built and have been having fuel pickup problems when the tank is low on fuel, but not out by any means. Over Memorial Day, I switch from the aux tank to my main tank, and the solenoid that switched the lines, switched the return line ok, but stayed on the aux tank. This backfeed all of the remaining diesel in the aux tank to my main tank, overflowing the main tank. It was a mess. Lucky I had enough tools, hoses, etc with me to bypass the solenoid.

Because of the fuel pickup problems, I will not just replace the solenoid. I want to put in a 12V transfer pump and simply pump from my aux tank to my main tank. Person who built the tank says easily way is to tee into the return line. Said it would be slow, but works. I would prefer to tee into the main filler neck. I note that Transfer Flow has a new tank that does just that and they have a 2

HoustonDMax
05-28-2003, 11:49
I just installed one this past week. Put a hose barb with the male threaded side into the fill neck hose (drill smaller hole, threaded barb into hose, with nuts on both sides of hose) and the hose barb side back toward the aux. tank with rubber line. Use a 1/4 turn ball valve to control flow; when in open position, gravity feed. I do come out of the bottom of the aux. tank, not the top; hence, I don't need a pump. Could have put a solonoid control rather than manual, but a 3/4" electric solonoid was rather pricey compared to a manual valve.

Plumbing everything was less than 10 bucks for valve, hose and a couple of 3/4" pipe fittings. Custom tank to fit under and around retrax canister was not nearly so cheap.

Hope this helps.

a64pilot
05-28-2003, 13:22
In some states I believe that gravity feed is illegal. There are a varity of pumps that will work, but are not real cheap. Instead of a tee you may want to try an all metal valve stem with the schrader valve removed, seals real well in a rubber interface and one less nut to fall off and real cheap too.

Maverick
05-28-2003, 20:12
I cut 2 inches out of the rubber filler neck. I installed a 3 inch piece of 1 15/16 OD pipe with a 5/8 pipe thread nut welded to it. I used a plasma cutter and cut a hole in the pipe through the nut. I have the barbed fitting screwed into this and the hose from the valve is hooked onto the barbed fitting. I am using 1/2 ID rubber hose made for fuel. It is also steel braided like hydraulic hose. I am using a 1/2 inch ball valve. It is gravity feed also. Works good. no pumps to go bad!

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=777914&uid=437876

Paintdude
05-28-2003, 20:36
I drilled a hole in my filler neck and brazed a fitting off of a fuel filter on the side,I use a carter electric fuel pump to transfer the fuel(lowest pressure one I could get)and use a 84 Chevy fuel tank valve for a shut off of the fuel line.Been using this for along time now with no problems. I even filter the fuel before the carter pump.

TBC
05-28-2003, 21:50
I have the 6 port valve that seems to be hooked up like yours and have never had a problem. Apparently you had a valve failure. I like the way mine works. Had it for a year and half.

Tom

earniem
05-28-2003, 22:40
Paintdude I would like to hear more about your aux tank hookup. What kind of filter and how you vented the aux tank. That kind of data. I have an 03 and would like to put in the 6 way valve but mine has 1/2" lines and the 6 ways only come in 3/8". I am getting frustrated tring to do it right.
earniem@nwi.net
if you want to get a hold of me direct.

Paintdude
05-29-2003, 05:58
I will be in the shop most of the day ..I will be out from 11:30 to about 2..

Lloyd

[ 05-29-2003: Message edited by: Paintdude ]</p>

BigRedDMaxx
05-29-2003, 20:32
I have been watching the megafilter/air issues posts but have been very reluctant to cut into my fuel system lines. Since I would also like additional fuel capacity along with better filtration, I was planning a system along the lines of this thread where I would install a 40-60 gallon bed tank outfitted with a high capacity 2 micron filter, fuel pump, and three way 2 position solenoid valve, a manual shut off valve (in case of a leak issues), and two switches, one to control the pump and one to control the solenoid. In it's normal position, the solenoid would direct fuel back to the bed tank (operating in a bypass mode whereas the bed tank fuel could see multiple passes thru the filter for maximum filtration) while in the other position, the solenoid would direct fuel to the main tank.
I haven't decided yet where to tap into the main tank.
Has anyone configured a set up like this ?
Are there any issues I should be aware of?
Any suggestions on sources for these components?
I see where JC Whitney has a 12V fuel selector valve for $38 (item 81UD2686W).

NEAB
05-30-2003, 14:13
I recently installed a Transfer Flow Aux tank and used its standard hardware. The way it works is to sense the fuel guage level and pump from the aux tank to the OEM tank. The pumping begins when the tank is half empty and continues until a little better than three-quarters full. The controller with the aux tank is connected to the purple wire in the bus running along the chassis frame and to a 12 volt source. This continues until the aux tank is empty and then fuel is supplied from the OEM tank. When the aux tank and OEM tanks are filled the process continues.

Hardware permits the aux tank pump to be connected to the OEM fill line, and a bezel and filler tube if it is required to fill through a camper shell.

red sled
05-30-2003, 18:47
NEAB: You must tell me more, where did this tank come from and how much. This sounds like something I need!

earniem
05-31-2003, 22:48
Paintdude I dont have a way to get a hold of you. I would sure like a little better view of how you hooked up your tank. I would be very happy if you would Contact me.
My e-mail is earniem@nwi.net :confused:

Paintdude
06-01-2003, 10:27
I deleted my phone number, sorry bout that.

I will email it to ya..