PDA

View Full Version : Ouch!! Water in Fuel = BIG $$$

rsgs
01-27-2004, 07:54
I was driving my truck (2003 Sierra 2500HD Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box) on Thursday January 15th when it just died. It was about 7 degrees out. After a 3 hour wait (contacted On-Star) for a wrecker, he towed it to my local dealer (Jim Causley - supposedly the largest volume dealer in the country). The next day I get a call from the Service Tech. that the bill is at $1500.00 right now. That includes a new filter, sensor, cleaning out the tank and the lines. He then tells me that the bill could go as high as $7000.00 if other items, like injectors, injector pump, fuel pump are bad. He said they pulled half a jar of water out of the fuel filter. I asked him why this was not covered under warranty as the Water idiot light (WIF) did not go on to tell me that there was water in the fuel. He said this was NOT a warranty item and suggested I contact my Insurance company, which I did (he said "we have this problem all the time and the insurance usually will cover it"). The station I buy my fuel from is a high volume station. My original thought was that they had not switched to the winter blend and the fuel just gelled up. Then the dealer comes back with this.

I got the truck back on Friday January 23rd. My insurance did cover the repairs. When I talked to the Service Manager after I signed off, he seemed to not know what was going on (even though the Tech had asked him about warranty coverage several times before they started the work). He then went to get the mechanic that worked on the truck. When I suggested to the mechanic that the damage should have been covered by warranty because the WIF did not come on (after they "took a half jar of water out of the filter" - according to the Tech.), he said it was bateria and dirt that caused the problem. When I asked where the sample of fuel I had asked for was, he said they had offered it to the insurance agent and she didn't want it in her car. So they threw it away. Nice, eh? Destroy the evidence. I have the filter, the WIF sensor, and the fuel pump, but no sample to be checked out. They had charged me over $800.00 dollars (9 hours) in labor for a job that should have taken 2-3 at the most. A case of the dealer ripping off the insurance company - big time! I am going to continue to pursue this. I now know of several cases from different dealers where customers had the same problem, some with even more damage, that the warranty covered. I'm not sure what I can do, but I'm going to try.

DMAX4LIFE
01-27-2004, 08:35
you don't think that they turned this in to the warranty too do you? You might send me your vin and I'll check out the warranty history, just in case.

rsgs
01-27-2004, 10:13
DMAX4LIFE: Is there a pm or email function I can use to send you my VIN?

mdrag
01-27-2004, 13:17
rsgs,

Sorry to hear of your mishap. What repairs did the dealer end up doing to fix your truck?

I'd suggest that you cut open the fuel filter for inspection Many have cut open filters using a hacksaw, cut off tool, or dremel etc. I prefer to use the Tavia 8340 Filter Cutter (http://www.tavia.com/cat13.html#3) to do this.

http://www.tavia.com/08340.jpg

Or you can send it to me for inspection - send an email (note the hyphen between the 'l' and 'T'):

mdragosl-TDP at yahoo.com

J Dawson
01-27-2004, 14:42
Even though your problem wasn't caused by fuel gelling not all stations treat their fuel during the winter. I live in Sterling Hts and buy my fuel from a Marathon station near my house. There was a tanker truck delivering fuel when I was buying kerosene for my kerosene heaters and I was talking to the driver. He told me that the fuel that they get from the distributor is not treated. They treat the fuel as they are putting it in the tanks at the station but since the station has to pay for the treatment not all of them will pay the extra charge. He has a list of the stations that are to be treated. They keep the treatment chemicals in a bulk tank on the truck.

DMAX4LIFE
01-27-2004, 15:12
you can email it to cdn111(at)hotmail(dot)com

Jim Cobler
01-27-2004, 15:52
What insurance covered this repair? Was this your regular vehicle insurance? Please explain the coverage.

Thank you,

keywest
01-27-2004, 16:04
:rolleyes:
Sorry for the trouble.......

I'm with Jim::: Did your Regular Truck Ins. cover the repairs??

Thanks,Paul

We're ALL interested!!!

rsgs
01-28-2004, 11:37
I bought my fuel from the Sunoco at Metro Pkwy and Groesbeck. My first thought, and I continue to believe that the fuel gelled. I had always bought my fuel there until now. I know they had a high turn over because I always had to wait in line to fuel up. I think the dealer fed me a line of B.S. about the contamination. At first, the Tech told me they took a half a jar of water out of the fuel filter. He stuck to the Water in Fuel throughout the entire time it was there (1 week). Then the mechanic told me it wasn't a water issue, he said it was bacteria and dirt. I'm not quite sure how bacteria can grow in single digit temps. Funny how the fuel sample I had asked for just disappeared...

I have State Farm insurance. They covered it under my Comprehensive.

To fix the problem, the dealer replaced:

1. Fuel Filter
2. WIF Sensor
3. Fuel Pump

They R&R'd the tank and lines. This took them supposedly 9 hours for a little over $800.00 in labor alone. Then add in another $500.00 in parts. They really stuck it to me.

I am very thankful the Insurance covered it. But I still believe they ripped both of us off.

mdrag
01-28-2004, 13:47
rsgs,

Cut open the fuel filter for a look see, it should be helpful in determining what happened...

mdrag

J Dawson
01-29-2004, 03:30
I just had my injector pump replaced at 85,000 miles. Before having it towed to the dealer I changed the filter and saved the fuel that was in the filter. I cut the old filter open to see what it looked like. It was in very good shape after 10,000 miles. When I took my truck to the dealer I put the filter and the fuel that I removed from it in the bed of the truck so that the mechanic would be able to see that fuel or the filter wasn't the problem. I used the same filter cutter that mdrag has and it works great.

Jim Cobler
01-29-2004, 07:22
Gentlemen, I am amazed at what one can learn from a forum like this one. I would have never even considered checking my vehicle's comprehensive insurance for damage such as described here.

I really appreciate being able to share with all of you. Thanks,

dmaxalliTech
01-29-2004, 08:49
rsgs, sorry to hear of your trouble. Jim Causley is a big dealer for sure, largest GMC dealer in MI. but if you want to avoid trouble like this in the future, may I suggest a trip to Grand Rapids next time?

rsgs
01-30-2004, 04:38
dmaxalliTech: I don't know why I keep going back there other than they are very close to me. They've screwed me before on servicing my Suburban. Hell, when I was looking to buy the truck, I went in there. I was ready to buy. The perfect customer - ready to spend money. The salesperson told me "...they didn't have time for me today". Can you believe it! The next dealer I went to found the truck I wanted, but it was in Ohio and the dealer down there didn't want to trade it up. So I had to drive the 250 miles down to Akron to buy the truck in Ohio. I am definetly a guy looking for a good dealer, both for purchasing and service.

dmaxalliTech
01-30-2004, 14:20
Well, I know GR is a couple hours from ya.. but well worth the trip.. I can promise ya that. Ask around to those who know me. You can email me if you like to discuss off line if you wish.
tqauto@aol.com
gmdies5@gmdieseltech.com
Eric