PDA

View Full Version : Question for DinoMax?

crimedawg
08-31-2003, 20:28
I will be installing my new Quadzilla Monster Monitor 3 in 1 digital gauge this weekend, so I will be able to tell you more next week. Quad sez it is brighter & easier to read than others. We will see. Went with Quad gauge because it will give me 3 readings (egt, boost, oil temp) from a single gauge, and will easily mount in my overhead console (which I prefer over a pillar mount). Hope this helps, DinoMax I read this in one of your previous post. Did you install your new gauge in your overhead console? Which overhead console do you have? Will this gauge fit both overhead consoles? Any install tips and/or pics? I am very interested in any help you can provide because I also prefer the overhead console mount over the pillar mount as I am planning to purchase and install egt and boost gauges soon.
Thank you,
Dawg

DinoMax
09-02-2003, 10:15
crimedawg, I did get the gauge mounted in the overhead console this weekend. I will try to get some pic's posted later today. Ran into a few problems, and when I get it corrected, will let you know. Need to pick an extra length of tubing and a union, did'nt get a long enough piece w/ the gauge, and I think I got a bad thermocoupler. EGT reading stays on 75. Quad sez they will send me new one if it's bad. Oil temp sender works great, though. BTW, I have the console with sunglass & garage opener holders, 2 small maplights, and a rectangular shaped piece that has a plastic blank in it. Cut the blank out and mounteg gauge to it, then snapped it back in. Looks Awesome, real clean, just wish it all worked :rolleyes: :eek: Oh well, I'll get it together later and give you an update. Thanks, DinoMax :D

crimedawg
09-02-2003, 19:32
Thanks for the reply DinoMax. I have the same overhead console, so it should work. Did you get the monitor for the GM 01-03 or the universal fits all monitor? Did you run the wires down the A pillar and if so which one? What other parts are required that is not included with the monitor? Sorry for all of the questions but, since you have done it I figured you would be the best person to ask. I plan to orde in the next couple of days. Thanks again Dawg

DinoMax
09-03-2003, 09:55
crimedawg, I told Quad I had an '02 chevy, but according to the ups label on the box, the unit is a universal one. Not really sure, because I never received any paperwork with it. No manual, no install instructions, nothing. That is my only beef w/ Quad. If it wasn't for TDP & all the good info, I would have been up a creek! To make the unit fit flush in the console, the top metal cover of the monitor was removed(4 small screws) and the unit was mounted to the removable console plate with 2 screws. Wiring was run down the passenger side A-Pillar, because it was closest to the EGT probe, which was mounted in the passenger side Exhaust manifold (pre-turbo). No extra wiring/splicing was needed this way.

You will need some extra things. I had to buy a T fitting for the boost pressure. 1/8" NPT on top of T for the line & union they supply you with to screw into, and barbed ends right & left to go into wastegate hose.(Quad supplied small tie wraps for the wastegate hose splice, but I chose to use worm clamps). I also had to buy extra tubing for the boost pressure line to make it back to the gauge. It's 1/8" O.D. plastic tube, usually used for air brake lines. I got it at NAPA off of a roll. They sell it by the foot. You'll need another 1/8" union to join the plastic tubing. (BTW, all fittings available @ NAPA or similar store) I also needed to add extra length to the oil temp and power lead wires. If you have a soldering gun, you might want to solder these splices to insure good continuity. Other things to consider, but not mandatory to get it going are some split loom wiring covers, and an in-line fuse for your power lead wire. Heat shrink tube was also used to cover/protect all connections.

I got a few pic's posted. Just click on address in my sig., and go to photo albums.
If you need any other info, just let me know. I think you will be happy with the gauge, it looks real nice and is easy to read, day or night. Good Luck, DinoMax :D :D

[ 09-03-2003, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: DinoMax ]