PDA

View Full Version : ordered a new lly today

dmaxmule
01-27-2004, 20:04
I went to the dealer today, and I ordered my new truck. He said, since they were a small dealer, it might take a couple of weeks before GM would give him the ability to order my truck. There is somthing to do with alacation(spelling :rolleyes: )of vehicles and he can only get them at certain times. He says larger dealers and dealers in the midwest get more opportunities to order these trucks. I would like to have it sooner than later, but the longer it takes the more money I will have to pay down, and the less I will have to borrow. I do not like borrowing from Peter to pay Paul.

I could not seem to get the winter cover or the sliding rear window on my order, so he said he would add them when he ordered the truck. He even said I would only have to pay his cost for these two options.

I hope it does not take too awful long to order my truck. I am already getting nervous. :D :D :cool: ;) :D :D

BarryD
01-28-2004, 03:17
The winter came with my truck. See if he trys to sell you one. :rolleyes:

dmaxmule
01-28-2004, 18:12
I think the winter cover comes on all trucks sold in the northern US and Canada. I think it is only a option in Tennessee. I will check and see just to be safe.

My dealer called me today and told me I needed to place $1000 down. Is this normal? I feel like I need a guarentee on getting what I ordered, and for it to be in perfect condition if I am going to give $1000 dollars up front. ANYBODY have any experience with this?

Thanks
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

mdadgar
01-28-2004, 22:09
The winter cover comes with all the trucks, although my sales droid tried to tell me that he "got me a free bra to go with it." Yeah, ok. smile.gif

In all fairness, the dealership (Moore GMC) has treated me very, very well. Much better than the local BMW dealers have treated me over the years!

Anyway, I also had to put the $1K deposit down since I special-ordered my truck. What they told me is that it's to protect them from someone special-ordering a truck and then opting not to purchase it when it arrives. The dealer GM told me at the time that the Duramaxes were in such demand that he would have no trouble offloading the truck if I decided I didn't want it and that I would get my deposit back in that instance.

YMMV, of course.

- Mark

DmaxMaverick
01-28-2004, 23:13
Many good dealers will ask for a deposit. It is not required by GM.

The deposit is really a good thing in most cases. The dealer asks for it as a "good faith" gesture. It binds the dealer to the deal (sort of). They have less chance of selling the vehicle out from under you. It also ensures that you won't place an order and dissapear. Frequently, people will place an order with no deposit, then buy another vehicle somewhere else while the order is in process, not telling the ordering dealer. This complicates matters for the dealer because it is usually too late for them to make changes to the order. The dealer is going to get a truck (or car) anyway, due to the system of allocations. The truck might be better lot stock if it were config'd different.

In any case, if you place an order, whether a deposit is requested or not, it is not final. They can not keep the deposit if you decline the purchase at any time before you sign the bottom line. The deposit only keeps you on a string with the dealer.

As far as the winter cover goes, I got one with mine in CA (Nov. 2000). I may never use it and GM probably figured it that way too. A friend of mine bought a 2003 and it specified that the cover was not included due to geographic location of sale, but he could purchase one seperate. He told the dealer that he would be traveling to areas of the country that would warrant its use. GM (not the dealer) included the cover, no problem. All they needed was a reason. GM R&D (or whoever) has determined that the cover is necessary for proper operation under certain circumstances, so they have to supply it if the conditions are met. My take on this is they are not giving this thing away. Believe me, you are paying for it, whether you get one or not. Are the people that don't get one receiving a credit? I don't think so. Perhaps a better way to do it would be to remove it as a standard equip. item and reduce the cost accordingly. It could then be an option, or purchased over the counter. That way, everyone that needs one, gets one. Those that don't need it, don't have to pay for it. Make sense? (that must be the problem)

Congrat's on the order and good luck.

Aluminator
01-29-2004, 14:12
The first dealer here in San Diego asked for $1,000 to order. Gave him the money and a day latter he called and said the owner didn't want to sell me the truck with my GM discount because he could only get ten for the year and didn't want to waste it on a discounted sale. It only took me 20 mins to find another one that would. It's now a waiting game.

Dennis

Mike330R
01-29-2004, 16:14
Dennis,
Who did you order from? And when do you expect it?

I ordered from Bob Baker. They gave me a 500 over invoice price right off the bat where everyone else wanted 2K over.

It's being built Feb 23rd and delivered March 20th. Can't figure out why it takes a month to get here.

carco
01-29-2004, 16:21
I have ordered 4 new GM vehicles over the years and placed a downpayment on two. The D/A ordered 1-7-04 no money down, dealer said if I do not want it, they would have no problem selling. Service manager ordered it, small dealer, so SM sometimes sells for friends or special customers, no salesperson ignorance or BS. Winter cover was an option as near as could figure, I declined as I do not need one. . bob....