PDA

View Full Version : Diesel engine market share

Jorday
01-28-2004, 19:56
Someone told me that the cummins had recently passed duramax in diesel pickup market share. Anyone know if that's true?

I found some diesel market share numbers for 2002:

FORD: 50.8%
GM: 26.8%
DODGE: 21.8%

I don't even know if those are right or not. Anyone have anything more recent?

I was just wondering is all.

Jordan

mtomac
01-29-2004, 07:49
dodge is at 28%

Johnny Diesel
01-29-2004, 10:31
I don't know about market share but I do know what I see. Here in PA there are a lot of new pickups on the road. Even if you live in a trailer,you need a new pickup before you put a down payment on a house. Not my logic but I assure you its alive here. Anyway there are a few "pedestrian version" Dodge 1500's on the road and in a local dealers lot. But by far the majority are Gm products and Fords for severe heavy duty use. All 3 municipalities here and the state have NO Chrysler truck products that I have ever seen. They are all 2500 HD's and F250's with aftermarket boxes on the back from Reading and other specialty box manufacturers. Of course they all have plows mounted to them and these guys work the crap out of these trucks. I've NEVER seen the state or the 3 towns near here (population 14000 and growing) even TRY a Dodge. Just an observation of mine. If i liked a Dodge I'd buy one. But apparently they are not geared towards contractors or severe service use.