PDA

View Full Version : Diesel vs. Gas

buffy
01-29-2004, 13:16
I'm sure everyone's been through this argument before. I'm not here to start something. Based on what I've read, it appears that a diesel, in general, requires more maintenance than a gas engine. Besides the overall torque advantage you get in a diesel, why did everyone here choose a diesel over a gas engine?

Idle_Chatter
01-29-2004, 13:31
I don't think that a diesel really requires more maintenance, buffy. It appears that way because this site is an enthusiast site and many of the owners here are very involved in modifications and self-maintenance. The diesel not only offers torque and economy over the gasser (especially in towing and pulling applications) but greatly enhanced durability. The diesel engine option carries a high initial price tag, but includes a 100,000 mile drivetrain warranty. There are many many owners out there that do not frequent this site, do not modify or self-service their vehicles and are content to simply "fuel and go" which these trucks will do quite handsomely, especially pulling large trailers.

Fat Boy
01-29-2004, 21:24
The truth is, these trucks are good only for a few select individuals... Either a) someone who is going to keep the truck a very long time, or b) someone who is pushing the envelope as far as load is concerned or c) buyers with a lot of money who want the coolest truck ever built.

For buyers who are not pushing the envelope (i.e. they tow less than 5,000 lbs or not at all) and "trade up" regularly (i.e. before 100,000 miles) will not likely see any real cost savings over getting a big block gas engine.

Don't get me wrong, I want one, but I'll be the first to admit it's primarily for the "cool factor". I will probably own it long enough to see a savings (my 6.5L TD is about to turn 200,000 miles). My boat only weighs 6,000lbs, so I really don't "need" the power.

Fat Boy

mark45678
01-30-2004, 14:30
THE only added stuff I have done is fuel additive for the days when its below 10*f....... a small price to pay for what you get in return! Besides what would it cost for a extra 120 hp and 300 f-lbs with a 8.1...... My guess is around $4500 .....YA its fast but its out of warrenty at 36k and it drinks gas like you own a refinery!..... I have owned GM diesels since 93 and looking for a LLY next month! I have about 300 miles of driveing time on a 2001 hd with a 8.1 ,Yes its a great motor but 11~12 mph nothing in tow...... Na I will pass! I did a run with the owner to DC from MA with a 20' cover car trailer total weight around 5800lbs WE only got 8.23 MPH average! 4:10 rear 4x4 x cab 75mph cruise control most of the time! My Dmax get min 12~13 mpg with the same load every day! Theres no way the 8.1 will keep up with my chipped Dmax empty or loaded!

ore.diesel
01-30-2004, 14:49
I JUST ENJOY DRIVING THE TRUCK, PULLING WITH POWER, AND FIND THE SIMPLICITY OF THE DIESEL UNDERSTANDABLE. I DO A LOT OF UNPAVED ROAD DRIVING AND THE LOW END TORQUE IS PERFECT FOR THAT. ALSO FIND THE FOUR WHEELING IN THE SNOW IS BETTER FOR ME WITH THE DIESEL . DID I MENTION THAT I LOVE THE TRUCK? IF THE $$$ DIFFERENCE WORKS OUT FINE, IF NOT I AM WILLING TO PAY THE DIFFERNCE TO HAVE THIS TRUCK TO DRIVE. I DO LOVE THIS TRUCK.

Max Power
01-30-2004, 16:23
In my opintion you can't say that it takes xxxx amount of miles for a diesel to pay for itself. I trade my truck off every couple of years and I will easily get the extra xxxxx amount of money back when I sell it.

In reality unless you drive a vehicle into the ground it's real cost is the depreciation it costs you to drive it. Not the outright purchase amount. Of course interest cost is a factor too. But with 0% financing it is not relevant.

So if I buy a diesel truck for $40k and sell it two years later for 30k it costs me $5000 per year.

If I buy a gas truck for $30k and sell it two years later for 20k it also cost me $5000 per year.

bob
01-31-2004, 18:47
if you look at it the way max power looks at the diesel is that much better because the gas motor drinks way to much gas if you drive alot!