PDA

View Full Version : Water in Fuel sensor & Tech2 question

mdrag
09-01-2003, 23:41
In one of the fuel filter topics, the question came up regarding the water in fuel warning light/indicator (WIF). Page 6-5 of the 2001 Diesel Supplement describes the WIF warning light operation - although it incorrectly states that the WIF light will come on briefly after starting the engine as a check. For the 2001-2002 trucks, the WIF warning should appear in the MESSAGE CENTER, the rectangular box in the upper left of the IP where the BATTERY, SECURITY etc. indicators appear.

My WIF indicator has never come on, and I do not recall any forum posts on this topic...hence the interest.

I spent over 30 minutes with the Tech2 tonight trying to get the WIF light to come on...tried almost every menu. I located the menus to test the IP and message center, and identified the WIF light - but I was unsuccessful in turning it on with the Tech2. Later, I read the shop manual, and the instructions state to close the doors, fasten the seat belt, and turn off the high beams. I had the PS door open and my seat belt was not fastened....

Would anyone with access to a Tech2 see if they can turn ON the WIF indicator? It may be a few days before I can check this out.

Kennedy suggested testing the WIF switch when servicing the filter - connecting the sensor after it was removed from the fuel filter and inverting the switch from its normal position. A jumper across the connector terminals may also do it, but that would be too easy ;)

mackin
09-02-2003, 05:15
Inverting the switch didn't work ..... Been there ,tried it ..... Maybe truck has to be running,but shouldn't matter ??

Mac

Kennedy
09-02-2003, 08:30
I sent Elaine out for a couple dozen cases of FPPF (back ordered) so mine isn't handy now, but quite often, the dash light tests are hiden in with the Body way early in the Tech 2 setup screen.

I'll see if I can try mine later today...

mdrag
09-02-2003, 11:59
Kennedy,

I tried pert near every menu in the BODY section. One screen pulls up letters from A to Z (with a few missing letters). These letters did not have a description - you had to choose one to see what it included in the menu , they tested various combinations of Message center and IP functions. I confirmed that my BATTERY, SECURITY, and a few others work - and the fuel/tach/speedo/temp gauges 'sweep' up/down like they supposed to.

GM is entering the 4th year of Dmax production and I do not remember reading a single post on the WIF light coming on :confused: . I started reading TDP forums in early 2001, and certainly could have missed one, maybe two :eek: ... or more likely forgotaboutit.

mdrag

Jackmchome
09-02-2003, 12:25
The WIF is float controlled. It will float in water and close the switch. It will not float in fuel oil.
I had the same questions when my 2001 was new. I disconnected the switch at the in line connecter you break when changing the filter and jumped the two points in the connecter. SHAZAM! The WIF message came up. Hope this helps.

mdrag
09-02-2003, 12:26
Originally posted by mackin:
Inverting the switch didn't work ..... Been there ,tried it ..... Maybe truck has to be running,but shouldn't matter ??

Mac mackin,

Interesting....I'll have to try disconnecting the WIF sensor and driving around for a while - you would think an idiot light or warning should come on...

mdrag

Kennedy
09-02-2003, 13:10
Use C or K ie C/K trucks...

[ 09-02-2003, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: kennedy ]

Kennedy
09-02-2003, 19:54
I found where you can SEE it, but not switch it on.

I forget the exact filepath but I noted in my truck and will try to post it tomorrow...

dmaxalliTech
09-02-2003, 20:04
I too have found where to see it, but I dont think you can turn it on with the scanner, I havent found a way yet either...

Best way to test is to just unplug it or leave it unplugged after change and it will turn on, or when you have it off to change the filter, plug it in and slide the float up, it should kick the light..

Flyboy
09-02-2003, 20:19
I confess. I have had water in my fuel and the light came on. At first it would come on when I was in a turn, then after a little more water, It would stay on. Drained water, light went out.

mdrag
09-02-2003, 20:35
Kennedy and dmaxalliTech,

I also 'found' the WIF in the menus but could not turn it ON. When I checked SI2000 (older version), there is a statement that says the Tech2 can command the WIF ON/OFF - so I thought I was doing something wrong...

Best way to test is to just unplug it or leave it unplugged after change and it will turn on, or when you have it off to change the filter, plug it in and slide the float up, it should kick the light..

mackin stated in his reply that plugging in the sensor and inverting it did not work for him? :confused: I'll try disconnecting the sensor and driving around - or the jumper...

Thanks for the confession and all the responses.

mdrag

FirstDiesel
09-03-2003, 15:38
Based on Flyboy's explaination of how his light came on and off I'm betting that when Mackin turn his over and the float went to the top it might have actually gone beyond the point where it turns on the light. The only way to test it would be to put someone in the driver seat and have them watch while you slide the float slowly up the sensor.

Bridgeman
08-08-2005, 11:10
My WIF Message comes on when braking or turning hard. I Have run conditioner in fuel and changed fuel filter with no change. How do I get the water drained from the fuel or is this a defective water sensor.