PDA

View Full Version : Predator Goes LIMP

DMAX Phil
09-02-2003, 01:04
Was out in the country and figured I'd verify, with my GPS, the 110MPH top speed limit with the Predator in the 85 HP mode. Went to about 105 MPH and the truck went into limp mode and came back to life at about 65-70 MPH. I've heard of problems in the top setting but not the 85HP setting (?).

Between this and how hot the Predator runs in the tow (40HP) mode, I may be looking at another box, soon.

Phil B. :mad:

schnier
09-02-2003, 04:58
You need to get the new program, mine would do this towing and they fixed it with a new program. It has been about three months now and no limp while towing all loads fast. Also I think they were saying they lowered the EGT temps. Send it back and give it another shot. I was not happy at first, but now I am. It was mainly the 2001 with the problems. Hope this helps.

mackin
09-02-2003, 05:11
How long was the Predator on your truck at higher settings ??

Could be a learn issue ......
One thing to keep in mind is the Predator doesn't play into stock tranny slipping monitoring, like another we all no and have tak'in a liking to .... ;) Most of the tuners including the new don't either ..... If your conservative, guess it won't matter, time will tell I guess .....

Anyone that has stacked with the Predator with the Allison has found limp mode or zinged into neutral .....

Mac

heartbeatcanada
09-02-2003, 05:37
DMAX Phil

If you didn't pull over and shut the truck off and restart or place gear selector into neutral then back to drive then it was not limp. What you had i'm guessing is it overboosted and shut power off until you've slowed down and less boost is shown. Go into your diagnostics and see if it set a code. Mine would sometimes, but no always.
My truck would do the exact same thing going down the highway, could be going a constent speed with cruise on or off and there would be a loss of power(exact same feeling as hitting the speed limiter on the old gassers), i would just coast down a little in speed and the truck would power back up. I talked to my dealer about it and they were having problems with it overboosting. As far as i know the latest update was suppose to fix this. I don't know as mine is for sale and won't use it again since i have the quad.Later Jeremy

Kennedy
09-02-2003, 08:35
Any codes set?

DMAX Phil
09-02-2003, 09:29
I stand corrected, if it wasn't a limp it may very well have been an overboost - no codes set.

I have v.1.04...

I had the 85HP setting on for only a couple of hours prior to this occuring. If it is trying to "learn" it definitely failed the session.

Phil B.

ndamico
09-02-2003, 09:54
Phil,

you definately need to get it upgraded... my predator is 200% better now than it used to be..

Nick

DMAX Phil
09-02-2003, 11:56
Nick,

I'll look into the upgrade. I thought 1.04 was the latest... I posted my initial impressions of the Predator a while back (re-registering to TDP has marked me as a newbie...) and I'm pleased with the power but the EGTs get very high, very quick.

Did you find that the upgrade caused cooler EGTs in your rig?