PDA

View Full Version : Catalytic Converter

WhiteDiesel
09-02-2003, 14:40
New to the forum, although I've been reading for awhile. Great place to talk about the best truck I have ever owned. Hello everybody!

I have a catalytic (California). I heard from a fellow Dmax owner at the dealer that he removed his and gets better gas milelage. Then I heard from a diesel mechanic who said do not remove it. What's up?

I have 40k on my truck and bought it in Oct. Right bank injectors have been replaced, and the service dude said the other side will go out, it's just a matter of time. He said GM wouldn't allow them to replace all 8 unless they test out of spec. My question is, how do you know if 1,2,3 or all of my injectors are bad? And what is the warranty? :confused:

Chris

DinoMax
09-02-2003, 15:41
Hello WhiteDiesel, and welcome to the forum! The dealer should be able to check all injectors with a tech 2, or, if you have access to a scan tool like the predator, you can check them yourself. The warranty from GM is 5 years or 100K miles. After 3 years or 36K miles, there is a $100. deductible. I have heard it is no problem to remove your cat, as they come from factory w/out when built for other states, but I think the penalty/fine in CA is pretty steep if you get caught without it :( Hope this helps, DinoMax :D

DmaxMaverick
09-02-2003, 15:48
There are no smog equipment restrictions/inspections in Kalifornia for light truck Diesels. The law simply states that the OEM emmission equipment must be maintained in original condition. The powers that be don't even know where to look for a converter on a diesel. If you're blonde, its a no brainer. If you're not blonde, act like one if the question ever comes up.

56Nomad
09-02-2003, 18:44
WhiteDiesel,

If you decide to take if off, keep it in the
garage because when you sell it a few years
from now..... the new owner may not be
able to register it with out it. It is not going to
be long before CA starts doing emission
tests for diesels. :mad: :mad:

mark45678
09-02-2003, 19:56
I have heard of a well know DP member that said he took a "cat" and put a pipe there the middle of it and removed the core! ;) If I recall this person lived some place in the WI area.... but this is only 2nd info.....