PDA

View Full Version : Predator =>Weakness

mackin
05-31-2003, 08:22
Yup let it be known I bought one .....

Here it had it's chance to shine, be worthy, be the hero....

But Nooooo The little scan tool that couldn't .... http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/blush.gif

This is what happen .....

Hot Juice in a 03 GMC ..... Against my advice right to 125 settings it went ..

I go for a tire spin, explaining the learning process to as why the quirky shifts .... We get to (buy the way there are some nice test and tune spots by GMC awesome) to a semi deserted area and he spools up a burner ... She's a melting tires first gear,Quick shift into second still burning, shift third,pause,zing =>Limp mod, mil is on ....

Stuck in third gear ..... Yes, with Juice in place it will still smoke the tires with them lil tires on in limp .... That was cool....The sit and rest also was unsuccessful,to just get it "out" of limp ....

Back, we go get out that pretty orange box, I'll fixer up "BUD" ....

Tried one two three and so on ,every which way..... No way would it clear the fault code P0700 and reset the Mil ..... What is the dealie'o .....??

Also what is the dealie'o on no BOOST reading in real time data ....??

I, we, all have to know here Predator techs ....

Mac http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

[ 05-31-2003, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: mackin ]

Hound
05-31-2003, 08:50
As dmaxalliTech said, P0700 is a code that tells that the TCM has codes stored. You must clear the tranny codes before you can clear the P0700 code. The Predator cannot read the transmission codes.

[ 05-31-2003, 09:28 AM: Message edited by: Hound ]

mackin
05-31-2003, 09:53
Originally posted by Hound:
As dmaxalliTech said, P0700 is a code that tells that the TCM has codes stored. You must clear the tranny codes before you can clear the P0700 code. The Predator cannot read the transmission codes. I understand the Pred doesen't read the TCM but the DTC was set in the ECM which the Pred was showing .... Should clear and or at least reset Mil ....

Mac

Hound
05-31-2003, 10:04
Right, the Pred can read the P0700, the code cannot be cleared until after the tranny codes are cleared from the TCM. It's a 2 step thing, clear the codes stored in the TCM first and then clear the P0700 in the ECM. It won't clear the ECM code, P0700, or reset the MIL till the TCM codes are cleared out and gone. At least that's my understanding of what this code means and why it won't go away.

[ 05-31-2003, 10:13 AM: Message edited by: Hound ]

mackin
05-31-2003, 10:28
Well All Righty then .....Thanks ....

Have to find out about the Boost reading I guess now .....

Mac ;)

[ 05-31-2003, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: mackin ]

DinoMax
05-31-2003, 11:53
Mackin, I too was wondering why I could not get a boost reading from the Predator, but then it dawned on me. I dont think the GM set it up to read/monitor "real time" boost pressure. They only set it up to show a fault code at overboost levels. I'm not 100% sure on this, but that is what I understand. Maybe Dmaxallitech could enlighten us a little more.

ndamico
05-31-2003, 12:21
Mackin,

i had a similar experience. i was able to clear the p0700, but only for about 1/2 sec. the pred can reset it, but with the code still stored in TCM it just "re-illuminates" the light.

drive it a day or 2 and the light will go off. been there, DUN that. :rolleyes:

05-31-2003, 13:04
Ndamico, I am considering the Banks Ottomind. Are you happy with the Banks system? A buddy of mine just sent his Predator back. I already have the Banks exhaust, aFe stage II, X-monitor, and now I need some horsepower...Thanks.. :cool:

mackin
05-31-2003, 18:37
Originally posted by ndamico:
Mackin,

i had a similar experience. i was able to clear the p0700, but only for about 1/2 sec. the pred can reset it, but with the code still stored in TCM it just "re-illuminates" the light.

drive it a day or 2 and the light will go off. been there, DUN that. :rolleyes: That's is what ultimately happened on the way home for him ...I cycled the key about 7/8 times got now where ... It will be awhile before I vin lock the Predator ...

Mac :mad:

dmaxalliTech
05-31-2003, 20:31
The truck is set up for real time boost info, IIRC for some reason the Predater does not see it, I can see it with my Tech-2. One must remember when viewing it that it starts out at atmospheric pressure, which is usually around 14 or so. Actual boost is determined by boost senser reading minus baro sensor reading.

Hound is dead on, p0700 wont go away unless you clear codes from tcm... :(

ndamico
06-01-2003, 01:02
10851 - I've been happy with the ottomind. Banks has been very helpful to me with their products. i've done a couple stinger installs for friends too.

I bought my gauges and exhaust first, followed by the wastegate actuator and then finally the ottomind. it makes more power and is good for towning, but i must admit it is not as fast as the juice, predator, or some others out there. If you want the fastest thing out, there are better choices. If you are looking for a nice increase that you can tow with, its a good choice.

mackin
06-01-2003, 04:36
No boost reading makes no sense to me either ... Should be a upgrade or fix forth coming really ... Even the TST reads it of the ECM for it's in the cab controller ....

Mac http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

c5dura
06-01-2003, 06:28
Autotap will read boost in real-time as well, but as dmaxallitech points out, you have to subtract atmospheric from the reading.

sdaver
06-01-2003, 07:01
I have mentioned this several times and performed it dozens......when you tranny zings into nuetral(prelimp)coast for a few 100 feet (no throttle) shift carefully into neutral count to ten and back into drive...no limp no codes...........this works :D dave

06-01-2003, 09:33
Ndamico, Thanks for the information and the reply. smile.gif

RWTD
06-02-2003, 11:15
Mac, sorry to hear you had those problems. That always stinks too, especially when you're attempting to enjoy your day.

Last month I was changing my oil on my car for its first time, and upon taking the drain plug out the nut on the inside, with the threads, broke loose from its weld. I was stranded where I was, had to get tow truck to take it home, de-mod it, then tow it to Ford. Several days later my car is ready, get it back, time to re-mod...

Originally posted by mackin:
Also what is the dealie'o on no BOOST reading in real time data ....??I'm going to run this buy them again. It needs to be fixed, no doubt.

I'm yacking with Johan right now about the transmission code monitoring/clearing. Will update soon...

mackin
06-02-2003, 14:10
James

That would be cool if you could find out on the boost reading .... The P0700 I think we are poop out of luck do to the explanation being the TCM must be cleared first,oh well ....I could get it to not illuminate for about 2 seconds or a blink of the eye only ... Theres always 40 warm up cycles to look forward to,I guess ...Wasn't my truck any hoo...

Mac ;)