PDA

View Full Version : Tips on removing fuel filter

indydmax
05-31-2003, 19:04
Can anyone describe how they removed the fuel filter? I can not seem to get anything around the filter except a strap wrench and that did not seem to work. I believe an article was posted on this subject and I thought I printed it out. However, for the life of me I can not find the print out.

Sneaks
05-31-2003, 19:18
Mine broke free with just hand power. Used a pair of latex gloves. Easier than a strap wrench.

indydmax
05-31-2003, 19:26
I tried to remove it by hand minus the gloves and did not have any luck. I will see if I can find some gloves and give it a try.

Captain Mal
05-31-2003, 19:50
Indymax,

Put a long, 1 ft., extension on the strap wrench. Now you have room for a good turn and tighten on the ratchet.

Go left, which is 'right' from the top.

It should loosen rather easily.

BADMAX
06-01-2003, 08:03
UNDO LINES,UNPLUG CONECTORS,UNBOLT THE TWO BOLTS HOLDING FILTER MOUNT TO TRUCK,REMOVE FROM TRUCK,INSTALL NEW FILTER.THEN REVERSE PROCEDURE TO INSTALL. SOUNDS BAD BUT IS REALLY EASY!

I USE LIGHT COATING OF VASALINE ON O-RINGS

03 D/A EC SB G80 AFE STAGE TWO,AUTOMETER PYRO,BOOST GAUGES ON PILLAR,AUDIOVOX REMOTE STARTER, JUICE ON THE WAY!

Turbo Al
06-04-2003, 21:06
I just did mine today (clockwise from above with strap wrench) not really on that tight, but I did put that one on about 20,000 miles ago. I cut the old filter apart and found it about 7/8 full of dirt (pleats were black) so I am going to change my filter at about 15,000 miles from now on. There was also a very small amount of water in the bottom of the filter -- I have never drained it for any reason.
Bleed screw is 13mm socket or screwdriver.
The new filter wouldn't go on -- a closer look and I found the old rubber gasket (center one) still on filter housing.
Put new one on 1/3 turn past O-ring contact -- no leaks.
Approx. 25 pumps of primer pump to fill dry filter.

[ 06-04-2003, 09:12 PM: Message edited by: Turbo Al ]

indydmax
06-04-2003, 22:02
Thanks for all the suggestions. As soon as I get a free night ( girls softball and boys baseball ), I will give it a try with the extension on the strap wrench.

Jelisfc
06-04-2003, 23:14
Ya know what's interesting? I just received my order of Racor OEM replacements and the install instructions printed on the filter same to fill the filter with clean fuel. Kinda goes against all the marathon threads on fuel filters ay!!!

hoot
06-05-2003, 05:41
Originally posted by Turbo Al:
I just did mine today (clockwise from above with strap wrench) not really on that tight, but I did put that one on about 20,000 miles ago. I cut the old filter apart and found it about 7/8 full of dirt (pleats were black) so I am going to change my filter at about 15,000 miles from now on. There was also a very small amount of water in the bottom of the filter -- I have never drained it for any reason.
Bleed screw is 13mm socket or screwdriver.
The new filter wouldn't go on -- a closer look and I found the old rubber gasket (center one) still on filter housing.
Put new one on 1/3 turn past O-ring contact -- no leaks.
Approx. 25 pumps of primer pump to fill dry filter. 7/8 is good. That means you probably had little air in the top and most of your filter media was in use.

Turbo Al
06-05-2003, 11:44
Jelisfc: The filters I have say the same thing --fill before installing. It is just easier (for me) to just pump the diesel in after the filter is in place. It also isn't a bad idea to operate the manual pump once in a while.
Axe grinder: I hadn't thought of that but now that you mention it the trucks I have seen with "see through" filter housings were also not quite full when running.

mdrag
06-05-2003, 12:27
Turbo Al sayeth:

Axe grinder: I hadn't thought of that but now that you mention it the trucks I have seen with "see through" filter housings were also not quite full when running.Sounds like a fuel in air problem... tongue.gif :D :D

NEAB
06-05-2003, 14:59
Another approach is to remove the passenger front wheel and reach the fuel filter by hand behind the wheel cavity housing. Filter should come loose by hand readily. The OEM filter seems to be on tighter and takes a bit more effort. No need to fill filter, just pump 25 times or so and try starting. It may take 2 or 3 tries after starting to run smoothly.

1BADDMAX
06-05-2003, 16:39
I just reach my hand through the fender well. I use my left hand to hold the plastic out of the way. Once the filter is loose I go to the top and completely loosen it. I can usually pull it out without spilling a drop of fuel. Make sure the water sensor is unplugged before unscrewing the filter.

Hoss
06-06-2003, 17:49
I crack mine loose with a strap wrench from the top, then put a 1 gallon freezer bag around it before I finish removing it. Never spill a drop this way. Try it, ya might like it... :D