PDA

View Full Version : More Power for the forum

More Power
09-03-2003, 10:41
I've been researching various recommended web hosts since mid August. The deal has been closed for a new ISP host on the East Coast that specializes in UBB bulletin board hosting. As I explained to them and all others I contacted, performance, security and service were the primary considerations for any proposed move. No one has been affected by the recent spate in forum problems more than I.

The new server has more than enough power, speed and bandwidth to handle the load. It has more than 100 times the expected hard disk space required, and in addition, it incorporates a Raid backup system and additional built-in ISP backup. Dedicated professionals at all levels will be involved in its maintenance and service. Forum administration will remain with those who have always been involved.

Moving the BB from its current host to this new one could happen soon - as soon as all parties can coordinate. The BB will be offline for a period of time while the move is being made and properly set up - again, by professional UBB people. Professionals are being employed to reduce the downtime. An announcement will be posted as soon as I have the schedule. I ask for your patience during this move.

In addition to a new ISP, this BB will begin operation under a new domain name. It'll be separate from this web site, but continuity will be built in.

Any member who feels shortchanged by the recent forum problems need only ask for a prorated refund. I should add however, that this BB forum was/is made available to all current members at no additional cost. This was a fee based member web site years before we incorporated a bulletin board forum. The Diesel Page has always been a web magazine - now with a bulletin board forum (and soon to be much improved bulletin board forum).

MP

[ 09-07-2003, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: More Power ]

2DAMAX
09-03-2003, 10:57
Great news I can feel the power already.

Steve :D

HDLD
09-03-2003, 10:59
Very timely. Thank you! :D

Heartbeat Hauler
09-03-2003, 11:13
Hmmmmm... A prorated refund. Yeah I'll take that. I think it comes to about $3000, just enough for my Banks Stinger Kit :D

Just Kiddin' I appreciate your committment to quality improvements for the site.
JP

sdaver
09-03-2003, 12:46
http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL59/718709/1218122/28258768.jpg

thats right son, enough bandwidth so I wont' have to listen to any more cheesy comments from that sdaver sum b!tch..... :D dave and thanks

sonofagun
09-03-2003, 13:11
Jim,

So I can anticipate my withdrawal symptoms: How long do you anticipate that the site will be down for the conversion?

Sounds like a good move.

Thanks,
Bob

More Power
09-03-2003, 14:03
The move will be coordinated so everyone can be involved early in the (a) workweek. I don't know if next Monday-Wednesday is agreeable to everyone yet, but I want it to happen ASAP.

The new server is currently beginning a 72 hour burn-in, the new domain name has been registered, and all parties involved in performing the move have been notified.

Incidentally, even though this new ISP was within the blackout radius in the NE recently, they operate with both diesel generators and battery power, so they did not go offline. There was no interruption in service.

I'll give everyone here as much advance notice as possible before going offline for the move.

MP

DinoMax
09-03-2003, 14:58
Maybe we can come up w/ a bigger exhaust & a performance box/programmer for those diesel generators, just in case tongue.gif tongue.gif Seriously, though, thanks for the info, and I look forward to an even better TDP. DinoMax :D :D

HD-Nate
09-03-2003, 15:43
I have to pay for this BB :confused: :confused:

Sounds like a good move!!! Just let us know as soon as you can so we can deal with our withdrawal in the early stages ;)

NWDmax
09-03-2003, 15:57
I feel sick already
Thanks for the improvements!
Blake tongue.gif

FirstDiesel
09-03-2003, 17:00
MP

Any plans to go ahead with enabling the rest of the features available on the forum software??

Thanks in advance for the increase in power!! smile.gif

heartbeatcanada
09-03-2003, 18:12
Next mon to weds would be great, as i'm gone to the sunny south Fort Walton. I'll be going into withdrawals anyhow, so if it was up and running by the time i got back it would be like i didn't even miss anything. Hope all goes well on the change over, and doesn't last long, as i'm just getting the soot off my face now, from sitting infront of the exhaust getting my diesel fix. :D smile.gif Keep up the good work. Later Jeremy

smartfix
09-03-2003, 18:27
hello all

So we can keep in touch guys.. Would some one like to start a news group on yahoo .. This way we can all keep chating about every thing.. We can name it Duramax or what ever.. And its free.. Just some feed back..Think this would nice .. for all of us to keep in touch.. <This is one great group of people>

The ford boys have news group going on yahoo.. and the person that runs it he works for ford on there Diesel powerstrokes.. Thinking how about Eric

From steve

More Power
09-03-2003, 20:59
Estimating the time to move the board is somewhat hard to guess. In the past, it took me a couple days to upgrade this BB from one version to the next. A UBB pro upgraded this UBB the last time in 1-1/2 hours.

So, I'd guess since pros are doing the move, it shouldn't take very long. Could take a couple hours, it could take a half day..... hard to know. I'm hiring it done to reduce the downtime.

Getting the DNS for the forum subdomain transferred is the wildcard.

MP

[ 09-03-2003, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: More Power ]

DMAX Phil
09-04-2003, 19:46
Jim,

Great news on the upgrades.

Don't know if you received my email or not but my profile needs updating. Thanks!

Phil B.

RWTD
09-08-2003, 07:15
Jim, not purposely questioning you or your site, just curious is all, but why do you not care for vBulletin, instead of UBB? I switched a long time ago, as did 90% of the other large auto forums out there. I know UBB has made some better strides in recent years, but still to this day vBulletin out paces them in all categories for features vs. value, and performance and simplicity for both users and Administrators. Not to mention it will import all current settings and threads/posts from UBB and most other forum software ;)

Kind Regards,

James

Lawnboy
09-08-2003, 09:36
I agree. This would have been the time to switch over. vBulletin is MUCH more popular, and there is a reason. UBB, no matter how current the version still seems antiquated in its look and feel, and options.

P.S. James, your not the first person to let More Power know about this. :rolleyes:

More Power
09-08-2003, 10:22
Who knows what the future might hold for a forum upgrade. At this particular point in time, sticking with what we know best might be the wisest choice. There are pros who contract their time to move/upgrade UBB forums, and there are ISP hosts that specialize in UBB boards. We are employing them. Their support and assistance are essential. I'm an author, not a techno geek.

Till we've resolved the current problems, I would feel more comfortable staying with UBB. There may be other issues at work here besides hardware and software.

Lastly, I've been around long enough to know that when you pay for BB software (or anything else for that matter), there is more likely to be an infrastructure in place to support it - now and on into the future. Many of you place a high value on this BB. Support and infrastructure are important behind-the-scenes strengths that free software might not have - cannot guarantee - because after all, it's free.

MP

[ 09-08-2003, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: More Power ]

letsgo
09-08-2003, 19:00
I hope you include a "spell and grammar" check as my spelling is atrocious.

I do need it!!!

good luck.

zip
09-09-2003, 07:16
Can we expect an "upgrade" in our yrly dues as well (like it really hurts) smile.gif
Cheapskate zip

chuntag95
09-09-2003, 09:49
Originally posted by letsgo:
I hope you include a "spell and grammar" check as my spelling is atrocious.

I do need it!!!

good luck. AMAN tongue.gif ;)

2DAMAX
09-10-2003, 08:03
Most defiantly I seccond tat.