PDA

View Full Version : Auxiliary fuel tanks

4x4hunter
12-24-2004, 06:35
Have 120 gallon auxiliary fuel tanks on several of our Duramax diesel rigs.

Having a fuel feed problem on one of our 2004 C4500 Kodiaks. Dealer in Colorado disconnected the aux. tank claiming the 3/8" feed lines are too small and all plumbing has to be 1/2". Now we're on the 25 gallon stock tank, which means we have to hit every other gas station. Personally, I think dealer is full of BS as don't have any problems with our other similarly equipped rigs.

Haven't had a chance to run it only on the 25 gallon tank and see if cured our problem as had a tow truck yank our truck from that dealership and take to another. Friggin' idiots wanted to argue with my driver that he should have used his engine block heater overnight as engine started then died and w/n start again, the morning after they "worked" on it. This truck has NO engine block heater setup. It's a Texas truck.

When new dealer received it, they ascertained that the first dealership had run the 25 gallon tank dry and hadn't switched the fuel tank selector switch from our, now disconnected, aux. tank, so the guage was reading full.

I checked with several 4X4 and custom type shops who agree with me. They use 3/8" with no customer complaints. One advised they equipped 4 Kodiaks a few weeks ago - all with 3/8" and numerous 3500's over the years and no problems.

Anybody experienced any similar problems? Are 3/8" feed lines adequate or inadequate?

J-M
12-25-2004, 08:44
We also have a 4500 with aux fuel. No problems to date. Our tank is an ATT tank. I will check the size of the feed lines and get back to you.

4x4hunter
12-25-2004, 08:53
Thanks, J-M

J-M
12-26-2004, 08:29
I just checked the fuel lines on our truck. ATT uses 3/8 for main feed, and 5/16 for return lines. There system uses an electric sliptter like on the older chevys with daul tanks. We only have 5000 miles on this truck but have had no problems. We have put another ATT tank on an 03 and he has driven over 100k with no problems with simular set up.You may want to check if you are getting air in the system some where?

Diesel Dude
12-28-2004, 21:24
I have seen numerous cases of fuel tank and line problems,dirt and rocks in the tank,rust and sediment,even a loose piece of silicone or a bad return vent or valve.on a new truck maybe its gremlins and a 1/2" line well that would make it easyer for the gremlins to squeeze thru and we can't have that!