PDA

View Full Version : Cobra Eyes — LEDs

MAXed Out
05-07-2002, 10:35
Well I saw a picture of Hoot's blue LEDs that he installed so I just had to go out get a pair. Unfortunately I could not get them to work! I tried splicing the red hot wire from the Cobra Eye LED to my fog light hot wire (black) — no luck. I also tried splicing to my daytime running light hot wire without success.

I'm completely frustrated! If I can't wire a simple set of LEDs, heaven help me when its time to wire in my Tekonsha Prodigy brake controler! Somebody draw me picture!

Any wiring tips would be appreciated!

[ 05-07-2002: Message edited by: MAXed Out ]</p>

MAXed Out
05-08-2002, 12:22
Hoot,

Thanks! I'll give it a try. Are these LEDs legal in your state?

hoot
05-08-2002, 14:19
I don't believe the LED's themselves are illegal, it's the color that's illegal in Pa. I talked to a kid in a ricer that had recieved a $70 fine for having them in the windshield washer spot.

No muffler and speeding is illegal too.

I think the nature of the truck and where the lights are keeps me a little inconspicuous. I really don't think I'll ever have a problem. When the headlights are on they don't stand out like the ones on the hood do.

[ 05-08-2002: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

BadDog
08-15-2002, 11:30
Ok, I'll bite...

LED tail lights and such I understand. But what is the point of those blue lights on the grill? ;)

hoot
08-15-2002, 12:27
No point at all. I had a '89 lifted Chevy stepside back in 1990. I put a couple of small blue lights down on the frame under the front bumper. Looked cool at night.

The ricers have since caught on (I think I started the fad ;) ) and are putting them on the hoods by replacing the windshield washers with these specially made units.

I wanted something eye catching at night without too much so I went with the little blue LEDs between the hood and the grill.

Here's a question for you. Not to be smart.. What is the point of clearance lights on a pickup? I have them cause I like the way they look.

Look at the big rigs. Some of them bad boys got more lights on them than the National Christmas tree.

Just to be different!

[ 08-15-2002: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

BadDog
08-15-2002, 16:31
Hehe, good enough for me. Just thought I might be missing something. :D

GBurton
08-15-2002, 17:07
FYI

I had not known about the fad of putting colored LEDs in the windshield washer spot until my son told me about it. I don't think the driver of that rice rocket was very pleased with my son. In addition to the vehicle violation that he stopped him for, he added a light violation. The LEDs were blue and blue lights of any type are not allowed on non emergency vehicles in this state. Be sure that you check the vehicle laws where you live and travel.

George

hoot
08-15-2002, 20:59
That's true George. I was talking to a young fellow in a ricer that got fined $70 for having the blue LEDs on his hood. But what I have found is....

The cops look at ricers with an eye for these things cause it's kids, loud bass, racing around and other things.

They don't look at my truck. Plus where I put them they don't stand out like they do on top of the hood. They get a little washed out with the headlights on but when close up they look good. Hey, maybe they think I'm a fireman ;)