PDA

View Full Version : Replacement fuel tank

dl537
05-08-2002, 09:03
I am new to the forum, but I have already learned a lot from you guys. Has anybody had a replacement fuel tank installed on a 2500HD Duramax? The one I am looking at is made by Transfer Flow in Chico,CA. I am planning on having it installed at the manufacturers location.

Wiley
05-08-2002, 10:31
I did it last month. I have a 2002 HD Duramax SB that had a 26 gal tank. Way too small. I put in the 45 gal replacement and also had the high volume filler installed at the same time. I'd advise this as well.

Very professional operation. They even calibrate the tank pickup for you so you know exactly how much fuel you have at the fuel gauge marks.

I love it. Still runnin' on the same tank. Of course the sticker shock will hit me when I refill, but it's great not worrying about where to find a station.

mdrag
05-08-2002, 11:44
dl537,

I agree with Wiley on the TFI tanks. I installed the 56 gal midship replacement tank on my '01 3500 - first rate construction/materials/workmanship. I also agree with his recommendation for the fast fill fillneck option - with this option the large fill nozzles at truck stops can be used - mine takes the highest flow rate without spit back.

If I lived close enough to TFI, I gladly would have paid to let them install the tank...

Even with the larger tank, the non-linear OEM fuel gauge reading remains the same - from FULL to 3/4 lasts the longest, and from 1/4 to EMPTY drops quickly.

Check the link in my sig for pics of the TFI tank install...

BTW, welcome to the forums. :D

SoCalDMAX
05-08-2002, 21:54
dl537,

Thought you'd sneak in here and post without us catching you, huh??!!

Congrats on the new truck and WELCOME TO THE FORUM!! It's a great place to learn lots about your truck and get all of your questions answered. All of the items I've bought/installed were chosen based on the posts here.

Just be careful when going to the dealer, they sometimes get defensive when customers know 10x more than they do and have TSB #s and calibration update #s before they do. It's better to ask them to check on it and let them think it's their discovery, I guess it hurts to get led by the nose... ;)

I've read every post since probably July of last yr and no one has ever had a negative comment on TFI tanks. I don't tow anything yet so the stock tank is OK for me for now, but when I get a trailer, TFI looks to be the way to go.

Regards, Steve

AndrewF
05-09-2002, 08:22
Mdrag, what did the 56gallon mid-ship tank cost you from Transfer Flow ?? Do you have their contact coordinates handy ?
I heard you sometimes go for a swim underneath your truck ! ;) ;)

Colorado Kid
05-09-2002, 10:38
http://www.transferflow.com/

Sit down before you hit return, when you see the prices you'll :eek:

I'd like to get one, but so far the boss hasn't bought off on it. Actually I think she likes the idea that it only holds 3 hours of fuel. :rolleyes:

fordpuckettjpuckett@tampa
05-09-2002, 11:04
I just Recieved The New 56 Gallon Tank .$771.13,
Quick Fill Neck $87.21 Plus Freight Estimated At $200.00.Instulation will run About $350.00,Total cost about $1,325.00 A bit Pricey but the Truck was also.
2002 GMC D/A 2500 HD4WD,summit White, Extended Cab, Long Bed, Line X Sprayed in Liner, Bed Rug, ARE-CH Cab High Cap W/Side Windoors,Invincashield,DTA Running Boards & Mud Flaps, Leather,Onstar.

Alasdan Kid

ndamico
05-09-2002, 11:05
Wiley,

I'm just down the hill in Sac and was wondering if that 56 Gal tank was a replacement or addon? i don't want to give up and valuable bed space, but sure would like to ditch the small 26er. also, how much did that set you back?

thanks

fordpuckettjpuckett@tampa
05-09-2002, 11:07
I just Recieved The New 56 Gallon Tank .$771.13,
Quick Fill Neck $87.21 Plus Freight Estimated At $200.00.Instulation will run About $350.00,Total cost about $1,325.00 A bit Pricey but the Truck was also.
2002 GMC D/A 2500 HD4WD,summit White, Extended Cab, Long Bed, Line X Sprayed in Liner, Bed Rug, ARE-CH Cab High Cap W/Side Windoors,Invincashield,DTA Running Boards & Mud Flaps, Leather,Onstar.

Alaskan Kid

dl537
05-09-2002, 11:35
ndamico,
You can go to their website and see all of their products. Their sales staff is great at answering any questions you have. The 56gal. tank is for the long bed and the 45gal tank is for the short bed. I would use them for installation as their prices are the best. I checked around at shops they suggest and no one came close to their price of $125.00.

mdrag
05-09-2002, 12:35
AndrewF,

Colorado Kid's post has the info for Transfer Flow website. Offhand, I don't remember the exact price but ~$770 sounds correct. TFI did give a break on the fast fill option at the time I bought mine - 50% off the fillneck...

ndamico,

The 56 gal/long bed and 45 gal/short bed TFI tanks are replacements for the OEM tank. Mine bolted up without any mods to the truck. I would have paid $125 for the install...$350 is tooo much $$$$$

There was a post a few months back asking about using a 5th wheel hitch with the TFI tanks - and whether there was enough clearance. Don't recall if the results were posted...

pinehill
05-09-2002, 18:42
I had a Transfer Flow 50 gal. cross-bed auxilliary fuel tank installed yesterday. I have a topper installed, so got the optional "camper shell fillneck" which installs through the topper wall, right above the stock fillneck. I also replaced the OEM tank fillneck with the TF high flow item at the same time, and added two matching, common-keyed locking fuel caps.

This is all very high quality hardware, and very well designed. The tank takes up only 16" of bed space, and sits 5" below the bed rails, so there should be no problem with 5th wheel hitches. The cross-bed units come with a cab display that shows fuel remaining in both the aux. and the OEM tank. The controller automatically pumps fuel from the aux. tank to the OEM to keep both at about the same percentage fill. It's neat to be driving along and watch the transfer ocurring. Not cheap, but you usually get no more than what you pay for.

Now, with a total 76 gal. capacity, I won't have to make 2 PITA fuel stops each day when towing.

Range not towing -- almost 1400 mi. :D
Range towing -- almost 800 mi. :D

Hound
05-10-2002, 09:41
Pinehill,

Where'd ya get those locking caps? smile.gif

pinehill
05-10-2002, 11:39
Hound,

I got the locking caps directly from Transfer Flow. They were about $14 each, IIRC.