PDA

View Full Version : Best bug deflector for HD?

TallyMax
05-08-2002, 19:36
Any of you folks have recommendations for bug deflectors for the hood. Here in North Florida these @#%! love bugs and other flyin' critters will cover your truck at night. Received a SS Apollo? shield today, but am sending it back. It was bent on one end and the quality was poor. I'd like to get a full sized deflector to match the big truck look. Also, thinking about ordering a grill screen to keep bugs and rocks out of the radiator and coolers. Any thoughts? :cool:

SoCalDMAX
05-08-2002, 21:39
There was a pretty long discussion a while back on bug deflectors changing the airflow over the hood and possibly causing more rocks to hit the windshield.

I wanted to protect the hood but didn't like the look of deflectors so I got Invinca-shield. It's a 3-M clear polyurethane strip that goes right on the paint. So far, no chips or bugs or rocks in the windshield and the best part is it's invisible. Click truck pics below to see how invisible it is.

It's a little pricey at $102, but very complete kit (install it yourself or have a tint shop install it) and it's exactly what I wanted.

Just a suggestion. Regards, Steve

TallyMax
05-08-2002, 21:59
Hey SoCalDMAX thanks for the tip! I do remember seeing something about the Invinca Shield some time back will look at that again. I really don't like the looks of most of the deflectors I've seen. This may be just what the doctor ordered.
smile.gif

TimofCharlotte
05-08-2002, 22:07
I've had the 3M Invinca-Sheild on now for about 2 months working down in Fort Myers, and it looks to be holding up great. I wash my truck pretty often with VERY high pressure wash, and it doesn't lift it at all, a concern I had early on. It still looks great, and the bugs don't seem to stick near as bad as bare paint.
Check out pics of it after installed, you can barely see it, but the white paint does help that.

Good luck.

gregmican
05-09-2002, 02:51
I put a "Lund" brand hood deflector on mine, It looks great I think. I like the way it looks with my Ranch Hand grill guard in front of it.

DSLPOWR
05-09-2002, 18:35
I have the Lund Interceptor Low pro on mine, pics in sig. No whistleing or any wind noise for that matter. Pretty cheap protection too, the low pro version does not stick up as high as the others, it ends just shy of the top of the hood so it does not look goofy. I like it better than the deflecta-shield on my 3500.

Greg Watkins
05-09-2002, 19:31
I have the LUND Interceptor. Appears to work ok. At least it protects the front end smile.gif Somehow a lot of bugs still appear to find the windshield.

greg

SalmonExpress
05-09-2002, 20:29
I also have the Lund Interceptor. I had gotten the clear one and painted it to match the truck. Hard to tell that it is there when looking from the front.

Scott

pushpole
05-10-2002, 07:31
The invinca-shield is great for bugs and maintains the clean stock look. However, a decent size rock will penetrate the film and damage our already vulnerable paint. I would highly recommend using the film if you don't get trapped behind rock trucks very often. I do and as a result I'm trying to figure out the best way to repair mine. I have used Lund and GTS hood protectors in the past and both created turbulence at the windshield which interfered with windshield wiper effectiveness, but they never allowed a rock to chip my paint. Maybe the new ones have spent some time in the wind tunnel to minimize the airflow effects. It pretty much comes down to what looks good to you and how much protection you want.

TallyMax
05-10-2002, 08:06
Thanks for all the good infomation. As PUSHPOLE pointed out, I guess it just depends on what your priorities are and what looks good to you. Most of my problem here is with the bugs, so I'm going to try the Invinca-Shield. These bugs also tend to clog up the radiator and coolers and this year seems like a really bad year for them. Last year, hardly any love bugs at all. Has anyone tried the new grill screen/shield that Lund has out? I wondered if you still get enough airflow to cool properly, especially down here. As an alternative to this, I had thought about one of the Speed Grilles(Street Scenes) and fitting some window screen between the Speed grille and the oem grille when I installed it. Any thoughts? Thanks again! smile.gif :rolleyes: :confused:

MABurns
05-10-2002, 08:34
I painted a clear LUND to match the truck. It looks good, but I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference on the number of kamikazee bugs that complete the mission of messin up the windshield.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=487575&uid=431880

pushpole
05-10-2002, 10:40
When you apply the invinca-shield start with the small side pieces. Take your time and work the small bubbles out from under the film. Don't be afraid to pull it off a start over. Just keep it wet and take your time. If you do end up with a few small bubbles, wait couple of days to see if they go away. I used a hypodermic needle to puncture the few I had and they disappeared. Even with a few bubbles, they are very hard to see. Good Luck!!

TallyMax
05-10-2002, 20:24
pushpole, much obliged for the installation advice. Hope I can do it without making too many waves. By the way, ya'll got some nice looking rigs posted out there. Great pics! DSLPOWR, I like those Daytona shots. :cool:

3176CATPOWER
05-12-2002, 06:28
I have tried various brands of bug deflecters on my trucks over the years and was disappointed with them all.They did stop the stones from chipping the hood but their aero qualities were unacceptable.Did not seem to stop bugs from hitting windshield and always made mirrors vibrate.Never put one on my 2001 for these reasons,could not see paying for a product that was not tested and refined to do what it is supposed to do.Got a chip on my new 2002 so have to try some thing.Lund makes a Trident which has 4 holes at underside to let air through and over windshield but still deflect the stones or so they claim.Has anyone tried one on a GMC?If so any mirror vibes or srange noises?Also looked for info on Lund Interceptor low pro,can only find Interceptor,no low pro mentioned anywhere.The invinca-shield might be an option but would it show up much on pewter and where can I purchase it?

TimofCharlotte
05-13-2002, 00:45
I don't think the Invinca-sheild would show up much on pewter. I would consider it the next easiest to hide after white.

Go here, http://www.invinca-shield.com/asp/Genkit.asp?kit=1731,
which is $94 for a GMC like yours.

I'm sold on the stuff, (they're not paying me or giving me anything for this in case you're wondering) and you can see my links for pics of installation on my white CC Chevy HD.

I do think you will have a MUCH easier time with the more gentle hood slope changes on the GMC vs the Chevy HD. They send a video along with the kit to show the application, and it does a pretty darn good job of explaining the procedure.

You can order a sample piece with some solution to try out first, just give them a call.
Good luck.

You'll like the 3M product if you don't like to put a hard sheild in front. I used to use the hard shields, but am sold. I even bought a kit to put on my car, and it's dark green.
Good luck with whatever you choose.

DSLPOWR
05-16-2002, 23:46
TallyMax- Thanks, they would have been alot better if we had not have went on the first week of January (it was a scorching 40 degrees). The whole place was empty, maybe four or five cars out there, got some good shots of her though.

ASI DMAX
05-27-2002, 14:51
OK, I've decided to go with the Lund. Who carries them and does someone have some part numbers? The ones on the net say they are not for the Chevy HD.
Thanks

DSLPOWR
05-27-2002, 20:28
ASI Dmax- Try www.summitracing.com or stylinconcepts.com, thye both have a pretty good selection. Even your local parst place (napa, carquest) can get them.