PDA

View Full Version : 03 power tow mirrors

Gasman1075
04-02-2003, 19:32
Has anyone had trouble with there OEM power extending mirrors not extending properly? Some times only the drivers side works without help. :confused:

DIESEL/VETTE
04-02-2003, 19:36
MINE WORK GREAT, BETTER GO SEE THR DEALER.

Jelisfc
04-03-2003, 09:27
I am. Sometimes they won't extend or retract. By playing with the switch in and out it usually catches but this week I had to get out and bend the mirrors in and out before they would catch. I've extended them only 10 or so times.

BKColeman
04-03-2003, 09:42
I've had the same problem w/ my driver's side mirror not wanting to move. It isn't a big enough pain to take it in, but it is on my list for the next time I have to take it in for something else. Keep us updated on the fix if you find out...

Husker Fan
04-03-2003, 16:52
Yea, my towing mirrors get stuck too. I just have someone press the extend button and I give them a little tug and they start moving again. Thanks for reminding me to complain to the dealer about this next time. Quite frankly, it's my only problem other than a couple of rattles. (12,000 Miles).

BlueTank
04-07-2003, 22:24
Gasman1075 and other 03 tow mirror owners,

Just came back from dealer today with a new internal switch, Part # 15202848. Had to wait several weeks to get this switch. Several weeks ago I went to dealer because power tow mirrors did not extend. All other power functions worked fine, they just did not extend.

Initially, new switch was enroute, then GM said all switches on shelf were put on hold pending a redesign of the switch due to many problems and warranty claims. I finally got the new switch installed today. The switch or relay is located in the driver's side door panel. Mirrors now work as expected.

Grizz272
04-07-2003, 22:45
I have to stop reading the DIESEL PAGE. Every time I do something quits. My tow mirrors quick working after I read this. The truck was schudled to go in for the "4wd service" message so I added the tow mirrors to the short list. My mirrors work fine when it is below 50 degrees. The dealer didnot belive me until they stopped working when the temp on the mirror hit 53 degrees. :D The dealer took them apart put back together and I quote" something went snap on both mirrors now they work". We will see. I am getting a new shifter motor for the 4wd. It is on order,

Grizz

Grizz272
04-10-2003, 00:00
Dealer did not fix the mirrors. what ever the noise was it was not a fix. The truck is going in on monday for the 4wd problem and they will look at the mirrors then. Already talking about replacing them. :mad:

K1XV
04-10-2003, 04:47
I understand that the fix for non-extending power mirrors is to dissolve a Viagara in a pint of warm water and then wipe the mirror down with the liquid. Only problem then is that the mirror might not retract for a few hours. :D :D :D

Seriously, I have these mirrors and have not experienced a problem with them, but as usual, DieselPage comes through with another thing to be aware of.

Jelisfc
04-10-2003, 07:27
I read BlueTank's and Grizz272's comments. My switch seems to work because I can hear both motors running within the mirrors they just don't extend. Yesterday as I drove to lunch I hit the switch. No windows. Looked up at the mirror and guess what? 53 degrees. I wonder how the dealer will take it when I tell them not work on the mirrors until after lunch? smile.gif

FisHn2DMax
04-11-2003, 10:35
Now that it's warmed up, My passenger side tow mirror intermittently will not extend. If I go out and collapse the mirror in and back out, it will work? The mirror motor is running, it's just not engaging the splines until its moved back and forth?

Given the number of people having problems with the power extend, I hope GM has a fix? Anyone know if GM has a fix?

:(

scsparts
04-12-2003, 05:53
I had a set of the original Power Vision mirrors on my 00 Crew Cab i installed them and they worked great other than the boots would sometimes pop off in the winter.
My 03 HD has the factory installed versions and they won't extend or retract when it is cold (freezing temps.)have to give them a push or pull to get them started I am going to live with it a while and take it to the dealer in a few months and see how they work through the summer. I took delivery in December and have used them a lot towing the sled trailer. Mayby they will figure out the problem.

Grizz272
04-14-2003, 21:54
The Dealer ordered me new mirrors today. He seems to think that when they move in the move to far in and get jammed. I will post an update if the new mirrors work or not.

Grizz

Diesel Freak
04-14-2003, 23:11
Does anybody know if it's possible to have the mirrors extend further than they do? An 8.5 foot camper sitting on the back of the truck is still dang hard to see around :rolleyes:

VaDmax2003
04-14-2003, 23:29
I too had no problem extending and retracting my mirror since I got my 03 in November 02, BUT, today after reading the posts here I tried it (ambient temperature 60 deg)and the drivers side mirrow would not extend until I gave it a tug and then it worked fine. I had no problem with them this winter on a trip with temperatures as low as zero. I added Powervison mirrors to my 96 suburban in 2000 and never had a problem with them despite instructions to slide back the boot monthly and spray the rack and pinion mechanism with the supplied by factory silicon spray. I had trouble with one boot getting loose and collapsing but a couple small bungee cords which were unobtrusive kept it in place. The boots on my 03 however do not seem to be capable of retracting for spray lubrication.

Gasman1075
04-15-2003, 18:07
Took my truck to my dealer yesterday and they have new mirrors on order for me. I don't know if these will be any better after another salty winter but I won't turn them down.

Walt

Dave Lewis
04-16-2003, 19:58
Ditto on the mirrors. The drivers side sometimes does not work. I have not seen the problem with the passenger side. The dealer will look at it whenever I have the time. It's not a pressing issue at this point in time. Maybe by the time I go in there will be a fix.