PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Bed Rail Caps

MaxRock
05-09-2002, 12:20
I am thinking about putting on the plastic bed rail caps. I was going to purchase the GM brand from gmpartsdirect.com. These are priced at $120+, this is a little expensive, but if it worth it I'll gladly pay.

I would like to have your opinions!!!

Thanks,
MaxRock

crafty
05-09-2002, 12:47
Take a look at the pics I have on the accessories page 1 at the link below.
I have the aluminum ones sold by DEE ZEE. You can get them with the box holes cut out or solid, they come checker plate or smooth, they mount with two-sided tape and a couple of small screws on the inside lip (they may not be needed) and I paid $120 (can) for the pair. They polish up nice, look good and don't mark up too easily.
:D :D :D

AlaskaDmax
05-09-2002, 12:47
I just had the Line-x sprayed in a couple of weeks ago and had it done over the rails.

My buddy has the rail caps and of course the wife had to question it...

So what I told her is this...

The rails caps are alright, if I had them and was going to put a canopy on the bed I would consider taking them off for that. The reasons would be looks and seal quality...seal quality might not be legit but in my head, I would always think about it. The plastic is going to get scratched and will fade with exposure.

Over the rails spray, the distance I had sprayed was not as far over the rails as the guy normally does, because I plan to have a canopy sooner or later and very little of it will be exposed with the canopy on, and it will not sit as high as it would with the plastic caps. Because the spray is part of the rail now I do not think a good seal will be a problem. Scratches will not be as noticeable and even less succeptible to scratches. Fading will occur with exposure to the elements but far less quickly and far less drastic as the plastic.

As far as price goes, with a spray installation the rails were only an additional $50.

MAXed Out
05-09-2002, 13:56
O.k.,

Here's my opinion:

Bak Indrusties (Julian @ 818-764-0031 bakliner@aol.com) manufactures Pro-Caps™ (www.bakliner.com/pro-caps.html) bed rail and tailgate caps made to OE dimensions, with or without stake holes. They are paintable so I had the rail caps and tailgate protector painted to match my pewter 2500HD. Clean! MotoVet, my idea so back off!

I paid $59.50 for the two rail caps and $22.99 for the tailgate protector. Beautiful fit and finish!

P.S. The tailgate protector doesn't have that stupid tapered curve.

Also, did you know that if you remove the funky stock tailgate protector you'll find four hexaganal holes? These are for the "Rear End Spoiler Tailgate Protector you find on the 1500 Z71s. Part # 15046605 for the spoiler. Part # 15151978 for the 6mm

AlaskaDmax
05-09-2002, 14:25
Maxed out,

Great! I was wondering about those hex holes.
The tailgate protector is coming up on one end of my truck...tape loosening, and you can just see the bottom of the hole.

GMC-2002-Dmax
05-09-2002, 19:47
I have WADE brand plastic caps on my '02. I have a red truck and wanted something to match the tailgate protector and wheel flares. The WADE's are a perfect match. I have also decided to go with a LINE-X liner.

GMC tongue.gif

konacat
05-10-2002, 13:21
MaxRock,

I was faced with the same situation regarding the rail caps. I like the platic caps. They came stock on my F150 and I loved there durability and funtion. Why GM can't wake up and smell the coffee is beyond me. After all we paid gobs of money for a HD truck and then they skimp on so much. I looked and looked for plastic caps that were as nice as the stock F**D ones and could find not that suited me. Had Rhino liner sprayed in and added the caps for only a little more. It turned out better than I had expected. Best of all my wife thought it looked gool. Good Luck

CCR91
05-10-2002, 20:42
I have the GM Bed Rail Caps and am very happy with them. I did not use the double sided tape to fasten them. I have a Downey SST tonneau cover and the frame fastens with six c-clamps. I just put the caps on the rails and the tonneau frame on top. That way, when I wash or wax, the rails come right off.

Also, the bed rail caps are the same height/texture/color as the factory tail gate cap. So the tail gate fits perfect against the tonneau seal.

Corey

SledZep
05-12-2002, 05:43
How about opinions on Aluminum VS Stainless??
I am hoping that I could get smooth ones and still install some sort of roll top cover. Any thoughts?

SledZep
05-12-2002, 05:50
Crafty, I was looking at your pics and have some questions.
1) your side rails look to be smooth on top, but diamond plated on the inside lip?? Pic 9.
2) where did you get those mudflaps. Do they make a chevy?

Thanks

crafty
05-13-2002, 06:09
Sledzep,

The bed rail caps are smooth both on top and on the inside. What you are seeing in that pic is a reflection off of the front box protector. The front and back pieces are checkerplate.
The rear mudflaps came from Van & Truck World and yes they do make a Chevy one.I'm not sure if it just has the chevy symbol or if it says Chevy. I paid almost $100 for those. A little pricey I guess but it was what I wanted. Nothing is too good for the baby!!!!!!

Silver Bullet
05-13-2002, 12:36
Mark,
I went with the factory caps...I paid more, but it is worth it to me b/c they match the tailgate piece. They are durable...I had them on my '99 Z-71 with no problems.

SledZep
05-13-2002, 15:56
Crafty, I searched their website but could not find the ones you have online.
Do you have a part #? Or know the manufacturer?

Thanks
SledZep
On Edit... I hope someone else makes tham because thay will not ship to the USA...

[ 05-13-2002: Message edited by: SledZep ]</p>

crafty
05-13-2002, 16:13
Sledzep,
I should have told you in he last post. They are sold by DEE ZEE in the US. The number on my invoice is DZ 12990. You should be able to find them down there without too much trouble.

diesel-dog
05-14-2002, 14:42
Sledzep
Just bought a pair of mudflaps similar to Crafty's for the rear except they have the Chev Bowtie cutout instead. Look great on the truck. They are 12.5" wide X 23" at the longest point in length. Bought them also at Van&Truck World. The part number on the invoice is "PMFSC" and the description is "Flap Sgl Whl Chev Bowtie" Price is $90.00CDN.

SledZep
05-14-2002, 20:06
Thanks guys. The DeeZee web page does not have them so I sent them an email....

MaxRock
05-15-2002, 09:52
Thanks Guys for all of the feedback. I believe I'll go with the factory bed rail caps. I was thinking about having the bed liner sprayed over the rails. I've seen some trucks that looked very good and others that didn't. This approach is very "technician sensitive" so I'll just stick with the factory covers.

Once again, thanks for the replies.

MaxRock

INDI-GO
05-15-2002, 12:55
I have plastic rail caps with the simulated diamond emboss. But having a problem with the small tape strip not sticking in some places.
I may have not gotten it all clean enough when I installed them. Will go to a wider tape strip when I get one of those "roundtuits".

Otherwise they work great and I don't worry about damaging the bed rails. I think, better protection than just the over the rail spray on.

Paid $70 at an offroad accessories shop.

SledZep
05-19-2002, 10:08
Crafty and DieselDog, DeeZee says they do not make flaps with the logos cut out. Any other thoughts?

diesel-dog
05-19-2002, 17:24
SledZep
I'll check Tuesday for the manufacturer of these mudflaps for you and let you know . (Long weekend form us up here) :cool:

diesel-dog
05-21-2002, 12:02
SledZep

Checked with the guy at Van&Truck World today and he said they (mudflaps) are distributed through a company in Quebec,Canada. (JAB Distribution). They are manufactured under the name "Futura". Not sure if they are distributed throughout the States or not. Hope this helps you out.