PDA

View Full Version : Replaced Brakelights with LED's

Alli-max
05-10-2002, 21:00
I just finished putting my LED's in the brakelights (had a bulb go out, so i said what the heck).

MAN are they cool looking! I have the stock tail lens', and they work GREAT! They kick on much faster than the 3rd brakelight, and are MUCH more brighter. Plus, a ten year warranty to boot. I bought them at Autozone for ~$14.00 a pair. They ARE the red LED type, but it looks the same. And, you can still see them from a 90 degree angle (the side).

So, if you have a bulb go out, get THESE. I wont have to worry anymore...

hoot
05-12-2002, 18:30
Alli,

What make are they?

Alli-max
05-12-2002, 21:59
sorry, threw away the package, but autozone carries them

MAXed Out
05-13-2002, 11:01
O.k.,

Ali-Max,

Next time please remember to post the brand and part number. We won't hold you to a picture too taken from different angles in various lighting conditions, this time.

Thanks!

7mmSTW
05-13-2002, 11:24
I am running LED tailights on my '84 that I bought @ autozone for ~14. They are jamstrait brand lights.

Later

Seven

MAXed Out
05-13-2002, 12:26
Jam Strait is correct,

I bought a pair of the 3157R red LEDs at Autozone for $14.99. They were not nearly as bright as the stock clear lamps so I took them back!

Jam Strait does sell a 3157-HR (Hyper-Bright Red) LED (described as BLINDING) that should cut through the semi-dark stock red lenses. stylingconcepts.com sells them for $29.95 a pair. Ordered them up immediately.

[ 05-16-2002: Message edited by: MAXed Out ]</p>

hoot
05-13-2002, 15:39
That's what mine are. JamStrait HR's. I like them.

konacat
05-13-2002, 15:56
Alli-max,

Leaf blower? Let me guess...Blowing in from the bottom of the air box to pressurize the intake. If duct tape will not hold does it mean that you have too much internal pressure (air box) with no relief valve? Sounds like fun! Let us know what happens.

Alli-max
05-13-2002, 18:47
konacat... funny.. :D :D

Its an old inside joke I guess from last summer, it was me trying to keep up with SoMn and Mdrag (which is virtually IMPOSSIBLE).

Pictures on their way, when I get the dang hose out and wash this thing again. :rolleyes:

Fatdaddy
05-16-2002, 14:55
I just put mine in 3157R my HD and they look great. I wish they were the 3157HR's, but autozone did not have these. I accidentally bought two pair of them and opened both packages. Oh well, I guess I will have a replacement pair if one ever goes out.

This is my first time on here and I will give a little description:

On my second HD because the first one was one of the first trucks to hit the floor in November of 2000(need I say more). I traded my Ext cab 2500HD in for a Crew Cab 2500HD and I love this one. I did get them to put on 265's on and custom wheels on it when I bought it. Had a rub when I turned on the front driver side fender. I tried trimming it and it worked for a while. I took the truck to a custom shop to get the driver side and passenger side windows tinted and the guy asked me if that rubbing bothered me. Anyway, he offered to raise my truck with the suspension bolts or something like that that is located under the cab and he raised it about two inches and the rubbing is gone. I will get pictures of my truck on here as soon as I can figure out how to transfer pictures on my Mini DV Digital Camcorder.

Nice to be here and you will probably see more of me in the future. I am located in Dallas so take it easy on me.

Alli-max
05-17-2002, 08:57
Welcome!! Check out the Duramax 6600 section. Soem of the boys are getting a meeting together in the Metroplex right now. If you dont have a dmax, come on anyway! We wont razzzzzzz you too bad! :D :D

2DAMAX
05-17-2002, 10:48
Welcome Fatdaddy:Hey alli-max I have family in malikoff and Athens are you close too that area.I really like it down thier.Fatdaddy why should we be easy on you for living in dallas???? :D :D :D

Alli-max
05-17-2002, 12:45
Athens is ~140 miles from me. It is a nice area. Lots of good lakes around, and the camping at those lakes..preeeeeety nice facilities. (Navara Mills lake West of Athens is super).

Fatdaddy
05-20-2002, 15:21
I live about 60 miles from Athens. I think what Alli-Max was trying to say is Navarro-Mills Lake.

Everyone on forums give me a hard time about living in Texas.

Alli-Max, where are you going to meet? I do not have a dmax so I guess you'll have to razz me.

Reno DMAX
06-19-2002, 12:42
F.Y.I.,

I ordered two pairs of the Jam Strait 3157-HR (Hyper Red) LEDs from 2kracing.com. Great price $25.00 per pair and the service from 2kracing.com was exemplary. No fuse problems whatsoever and the LEDs have a lifetime warranty. Jam Straits description of blindingly bright is an understatement.

[ 06-19-2002: Message edited by: Reno DMAX ]</p>

john deere
06-20-2002, 19:28
I bought the same kind (Jam Strait) and kept blowing fuses. Brake light fuses that is. What's up with that? I took them back and got my money back. Any suggestions??????? I like the way they looked until I hit my brakes.

hoot
06-21-2002, 19:21
There are two types of bulbs. Pre-99 and 99-up bulbs. You cannot mix them. Jam Strait does not sell to the general public so your distributor must have gotten you the wrong ones. I installed "APC" LED the fist time around and they blew fuses. I called APC. They told me their bulbs don't work on 99-up truck. That's great, the package said no such thing.

I suggest you get back and get the correct bulbs. You also need to get a variable load flasher or they will flash real fast.

Read this...

http://www.jamstrait.com/appguide.html

I purchased my stuff here with excellent service...
http://www.hot-fit.com/

[ 06-21-2002: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

cmadmaxman
06-22-2002, 21:16
Hey Hoot!

Did you talk to them about replacing the driving lights with the hyper white or amber?

Changed my lights to amber and noticed the sockets starting to burn because of the heat from the stock blubs. It would be great if we could put in cooler burning bulbs. You see a lot of the trucks (99 and up) with burned out lights.

Thanks for the links for the lights.

hoot
06-24-2002, 09:59
No I did not talk to them about the driving lights. That does sound like a good idea though. I put the long life amber incandescent bulbs in last year and have not noticed any problems and no burnouts. I haven't bothered to check out the sockets but maybe I'll have a look since you mentioned it. This is the first I've heard of stock DRL's overheating the sockets.

cmadmaxman
07-03-2002, 18:59
Thanks Hoot. Sorry so long getting back. I droped the company a line and they said that the LED hyper lights should work fine for the day time driving lights.

When I changed my stock lights out for the amber lights a while back (got to be diffrent! :D ), I noticed the socket turning black from the heat of the bulb. I don't know if the heat from the lights is causing the problem or not, just notice a lot of the silverados with the day time lights burnt out.

Thanks again. Will let you know if and when I change my lights out to the LED's.

hoot
07-03-2002, 20:48
You're welcome.

The concensus on the daytime lights burning out is the bulbs GM is using aren't designed for constant on.