PDA

View Full Version : New Rims

ThePend
05-15-2002, 16:16
Just averted disaster. Im talking about Mickey Thompson Classic II rims. Last week I order 1 rim and had a tire mounted to check for fit. (16x8 rims, 285 tires). Well, the fit checked out so I ordered 3 more rims. After opening the 3 boxes and checking the rims I noticed something odd about the center hole and the lug holes. They werent the same as the first rim that I had ordered. With the new rims, the center hole had been cut to 5" just like the first. The lug holes had been cut properly just like the first. Now heres the problem, the factory recut the center hole (on the rim face side) to 5 1/2" and 3/8" deep (not all the way thru) this in turn cut into the lug holes. Not good. I called Mickey Thompson Wheels on the east coast (%#$@!) no answer. So I called the one on the west coast. Tried for 10 mins to explain to the guy on the other end of the phone what it was that I was talking about. Hmmmmmm! Idea :D . Took a picture of the rim and emailed it to him while we were on the phone. (A picture is worth a thousand words or 10 mins) "Hmmmmmmmmm" said he. "Thats not right". So he showed it to his boss and called me back right away. It turns out that theses rims were sent back for recut and failed (but they have a PASSED sticker on em). The guy on the phone was very nice the entire time, apologized up and down for the screw up. Tomorrow Ill talk with the east coast office and set things up to send the bad ones back and get the new ones on their way. The guy at M/T said it was a good thing that these didnt get mounted and used. It could have turned into a disaster if one of these rims let go. I guess it pays to pay attention and ask questions.

Im happy now smile.gif .

NutNbutGMC
05-15-2002, 16:40
^...How many folks DON'T know about this. Pi$$ poor quality control by Mikey Thompson... Thanks for the warning. I'll buy elsewhere.

[ 05-15-2002: Message edited by: NutNbutGMC ]</p>

Alli-max
05-15-2002, 22:26
easy nutn... :D :D

Things are always easy to overlook. There is NO COMPANY in the world that puts out 100% correct products. Everybody has their faults. You company too! I dont own any MT products, but I see similar things happen with even my company's products. I look at some stuff on the shelf of my customers and say to myself... "WTF...how'd THIS pass inspection!"