PDA

View Full Version : Owen's Molded Step Boards for 01 Dually

Heartbeat Hauler
05-16-2002, 14:19
Well I'm gonna bite the bullet and get me a set of running boards for my truck. Anyone have these Owen's running boards? How do you like'em and do they fit/work well? I have seen them in the new Summit catalog (pg 19) and they are about $600 for the cab (ext) & the bed boards , w/ mounting brackets.
Thanks,
JP

[ 05-16-2002: Message edited by: Heartbeat Hauler ]</p>

Heartbeat Hauler
05-17-2002, 13:25
Anybody? :confused:

TLA
05-17-2002, 17:34
Saw that too - try a search, as I remember some posts in late fall about Owens. I have the same problem right now - which ones??

TLA
05-18-2002, 09:14
I did find some posts under 2500/3500 Drivtrain - search for Owens. Look under boards4less.com for more information.

Just-Lee
05-19-2002, 09:41
I installed the Owens boards on my 2500HD based on a recommendation from a guy on this forum that had installed them on his 3500. He really liked them. I bought mine from boards4less and have been satisfied with them. The factory paint job was less than perfect with a couple of minor runs in the paint but they are in places where you don't see it.

I had a problem with the brackets for the rear (short) boards that were easily taken care of with a hacksaw. The guy with the 3500 that recommended them to me didn't mention having any problems with his install.

Based on my experience, I would install the rear boards first. It is easier to line up the front boards if the back ones are installed first for reference. At least on the 2500HD install, the short boards have very little leeway on adjustment where the front (Main) boards have a lot of room for adjustment.

You should be able to find the original post searching for either Owens or boards4less. If I remember correctly, the original post was some time last fall.

OldCarKook
05-20-2002, 06:21
I just put the Owens boards on my truck. I'm happy with them. I like the styling better than other boards. I had them painted to match the truck but still they were off. I have a Crew cab and I bought the shortie piece between the bed and cab and if they offered one for the back I would have bought that too to even them out. I do find that you will need front mud flaps with the Owens boards because the gap between the fender and board are a perfect position to fling mud and muck on the board. Also, I find that water does not drain off the board and I have not had them on in winter to see if this is a problem yet or not.

I ordered them special with no decals in my GMC paint code color. They have some large advertising on them and my opinion on manufacturer emblems is, if you want to buy some billboard space on my truck, we can talk about it but don't just put a large sign for your product on my truck and think I will accept it. Took them two tries to send them without the decals and paint didn't match, but I think that was more just paint differences than anything else. To match your truck color perfectly, you should have it color eyed and then painted from the color eye match.

They look good and are suprisingly solid. I had steel wrapped with vinyl before on my D**** product. On the D****, the runningboards were a lot better than the truck!

Heartbeat Hauler
05-20-2002, 11:49
Thanks guys,
I ordered mine unpainted and will get the painting done here in town. I also decided that since I have the black flares I will try to match the boards to that color instead of the Summit White. OLDCARKOOK mentioned mudflaps...what brand did you use? I thought about that, but wasn't sure what would work with my combo.
Thanks again.
JP

OldCarKook
05-22-2002, 06:25
I have not put flaps on yet, but need to. I too have the summit white. If you send me your email, I'll email you photos back of the boards so you can see what I'm talking about.

Heartbeat Hauler
05-22-2002, 13:53
OldCarKook,

jpalmer_intear@yahoo.com

Thanks for the pics in advance