PDA

View Full Version : Enclosed Car Trailer Recommendation

bora
05-19-2002, 20:27
I am looking to buy an enclosed trailer for my race car.

I am considering either a 20 ft or a 24 ft trailer with following brands: Haulmark, Wells Cargo, Braco or TPD.

The car will fit fine in a 20 with 3 ft to spare, but a lot of people are telling me to get a 24 instead.

Any comments/

Bora

NutNbutGMC
05-19-2002, 20:30
^...Featherlite, Haulmark, Wells Cargo..... Don't forget the vents and / or AC in the roof. Go with the 24 ft version.

[ 05-19-2002: Message edited by: NutNbutGMC ]</p>

Speedy
05-19-2002, 21:39
You would be better off to get a 24ft minimum box length, with most folks now days getting minimum 28 ft box length. The extra length provides room for adding cabinets later, and resale is improved (someone w/ a dragster would not fit in a 24ft box easily). I owned a 24ft box wells cargo, and it was a great low cost trailer. Had it for 7 years and sold it for $1000 less than I paid for it!

Get good tires put on the trailer, and heaviest axles you can get. I was always having trouble w/ tires, I traveled a lot with it for NHRA Dragracing all over the country, carried two spares!

Now have an all aluminum 40 ft that is super light. Haul a dragster and roadster in it, and lots of spare parts. As you grow into your trailer you will find you take more stuff (coolers, chairs, BBQ, dog, family). Also keep in mind that you have to have 2-3 ft in front/back for connecting tiedowns, and safety in case one of your straps come loose, or other unseen problems. The extra cost of 4ft is not much...

carnutsx2
05-19-2002, 22:00
I just ordered an in Interstate west v nose 27' the box is 22' Look around I found that I can save big $$$ by picking it up at the factory. The dealers like making a deal if they never have to see the trailer. Try www.trailersforless.com They didn't sell the interstate line so I just began calling dealers who were interested in making a deal

IndigoDually
05-20-2002, 07:49
Unless you are racing a go cart or something that small get the lergest trailer that you can afford. It is better to have too much trailer and have room to grow vs. quickly growing out if the one you just bought recently. I know thisfrom personal experience. I bought an 8x20 last spring and now I need a second because I am using it for two purposes and unloading and reloading is getting old.
You can't have too much power, too good brakes or too big of a trailer.

John

Kennedy
05-20-2002, 09:19
Cargo Mate has a fiberglass body (also called We-Haul) that is truly awesome! Stronger, lighter, tows easy, AND you can add windows/doors after the fact as there aren't any wall studs. Up here, the road salt compounds the electrolysis problems of aluminum over steel, and the glass body will not be affected.

I'd say opt for 24-26' minimum. I always say 6' MINIMUM over the length of the vehicle. This allows adequate room to balance the tongue weight a bit AND crawl around and tie down. If you plan for a front work bench, add this to the length spec. Opt for the 3 ton payload and get the 6 lug 8 ply tires as a minimum.

The ones I'd stay away from are: TNT, Interstate, and Haulmark (especially Haulmark's Thrifty hauler) and watch out for 24" centers on walls in the aluminum skinned trailers.

Buck
05-20-2002, 09:42
I have a featherlite 24' Aluminum gooseneck enclosed car hauler. Excellent quality pulls really easy too. Cost me $12000 but it is well worth it. A least I won't have a pile of rust in a few years :D Just got back from Black River Falls ATVing. 7000# total trailer averaged 17.5 mpg on the way up :D . I couldn't believe it! I checked my math a couple times but it is right! I don't get that good empty most of the time! Never shifted out of 5th the whole way up 70mph.
BTW, parked in front of a pewter crew cab D/A that said www.kennedydiesel.com in the back window at Palms supper club near Hatfield saturday night. Was that you JK?

Kennedy
05-20-2002, 10:36
Buck,

Ubet that was me! Best Prime Rib I've ever found! Durn good margaritas too! Hey your EC short is pretty near same height as mine! We commented about that as most sit quite a bit lower than mine. I noticed the Lucerix mirrors etc. and of course the Dmax badging, and got to wondering...

So my question is this: Who's convex stick ons were those? Looked really nice.

Next time you are up that way, drop me a line, that is IF you don't mind a tag along on a Polaris, and IF a SP 500 H.O. can keep up! I'll show ya what mudding is all about!!!

Buck
05-20-2002, 11:34
Yup! THE BEST PRIME RIB. SP 500 HO! How did you know I had one :D Got the convex mirrors at flying J South Beloit.

Kennedy
05-20-2002, 13:51
Like I say, gimme a holler before the next time up! 27" Titan 589's on Douglas .190 alum's Gonna need a shower (actually a hose down) after riding though.

Problem I see is we keep getting restricted by the DNR as to what sink holes we can play in.

Shoulda seen their faces when they saw me in a water crossing playing motorboat with the front tires out of the water!

Tell me about this Denali trip computer...

[ 05-20-2002: Message edited by: kennedy ]</p>

01_Duramax_Dually
05-20-2002, 15:18
Bora,
Not sure where you live or your particular application or budget, But I would recommend a TPD. I would also recommend the 24ft. The weight addition is not significant but you would have some room to sleep in the trailer if required. I have a 25 ft and have slept in mine and it is very nice. Mine is not a TPD but a Custom Sport trailer, But TPD has similar build quality.

A few addtional things I would have added if you are ordering, Floor Storage, Roof vents, winch and generator space. Mine has 3 windows as it was custom ordered by my friend from whom I purchased the trailer from when he stepped up to a 38 foot 6 months aftering receiving his new one. I was intially concerned about the windows but now I love having them. Nice to be in the trailer looking out at the race track when doing some work on the inside. Not like a Black BOX. I can work during the day and not have to have lights on.

Let me know if I can be of any further help.

battmain
05-20-2002, 20:44
Anyone using the Exiss car trailers? I saw one at the track and really liked the looks of it. The pricing seems slightly less than a Pace of the same size.

Brian

mdrag
05-20-2002, 20:59
Bora,

I agree with the the comments above. Since we are having a great time spending your money ;) a few more items to ponder. Most of these are inexpensive if done when the trailer is being built, but a real PITA to do later:

1) A winch is a must have - what if your car does not want to start?. When I ordered my Wells Cargo about five years ago, I had the factory weld a 1/4" plate between the trailer frame rails at the front for a winch to be added later. Months later, when I bought a Warn winch, I mounted it on a removable receiver mount. I then used a bumper mount receiver bolted through the trailer floor to the 1/4" plate and can use same winch on the truck and in the trailer. Found those heavy duty plugs for the 12V connections and used them throughout.

2) A front of trailer walk through door is highly recommended.

3) 12V deep cycle battery with fuse panel so you can add 12V items.

4) 120V switched outlet(s) with exterior plug so you can plug in 120V when available (or a portable generator). One or two outlet plugs, a switch, and exterior outlet, and some wire...

5) In addition to the two standard overhead lights, I placed four basic 12V lights about 6 inches off the floor - two front and two rear. Beats holding a flashlight under the car when attaching tie downs.

6) 12V power tongue jack - beats the heck out of cranking up/down.

7) Put an empty electrical box at the front and at the rear of the trailer with at least four wires going between them (not counting the ground)- use this as an extension for your winch control. so you can winch from the back of the trailer. Or spend $150 to $300 for a wireless winch controller if you don't want to trip/untangle 30ft plus of winch control cable...

8) E track around the trailer interior on three sides, especially if you plan to haul something other than cars.

9) Floor tie downs. My trailer came with 4, and I ordered 4 loose ones to install where I wanted after using the trailer for a while.

Kennedy,

Here is a link to a LONG discussion on the overhead console and installing a Denali trip computer in the HD trucks. From the most recent posts on page two, it does not seem this person was able to get the trip computer to work with the Dmax - fuel related functions were not working for him:

http://forums.pickuptruck.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB11&Number=66242&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1

29mdla
05-21-2002, 15:40
I use the Exiss Alu flatbed and it is very well build and has heavy axles and wheels. If their enclosed is like it anyone would be happy. The owners father started Featherlite. I use the Roadmaster enclosed trailed and it was well priced with the factory pickup, they will do what you want to it at a reasonalble price compared to others.

bora
05-22-2002, 10:47
Thanks for all the responses, if I had infinite resources then I would get all of the options
that you recommend, for now I think
I am going to go with workbench, cabinets and
a 24 ft trailer unless I pick an open tilt-bed trailer that has popped for sale at a real good price.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

bora
05-25-2002, 17:03
So I did it.

Just purchased a 22 ft Haulmark Elite II with work bench, cabinets, 110V, 12V RV battery, insulated and lined including custom locations for D-rings and an electric winch 10k axles.

They had the trailer in stock so I should pick it up in a couple days.

Nice trailer, nice price. Nice people. South Valley Trailer in Hollister, CA. Pat and Sandy.