PDA

View Full Version : Westin Nerf Bars Installation Help

FightinTXag
05-19-2002, 21:11
Howdy, I was installing the Westin bars I got this weekend and there's not any detail in the instructions on what to do with the body bushings that were below the frame. Do you put them back between the bracket and frame, or below the bracket, or just toss them? It doesn't look like they're present in the figure, but after I put them on, I noticed a rattle kind of like a loose shock on bumps. I figured it must be the bars since I just put them on, but then again, maybe it was a loose shock or something else. Somebody help me out.

TimofCharlotte
05-19-2002, 23:19
Hey Fightin, You need to keep the bushings on otherwise you have no body to frame cushion on the upswing, know what I mean? ;) ;)
You probably found that you had wayyyy toooo much thread engagement without reusing the bushings.

You will reuse both the bushings and the big (2-3 inch diameter) washer that is part of them in some locations. The ONLY item that you don't reuse, is the original bolt, though you may be able to if you wanted.
I found the long bolts they provided with the kit were the same overall length, but didn't have the 3/8" of thread turned down on the end like the factory bolts, this effectively gives you more thread engagement after 'adding' the extra length required by the thickness of the Westin brackets.
Hope it turns out OK. I had to push like all get out to make the center support's self tapping threads (they tap into the nerf bar) engage, but finally they started cutting in. You may not have the center support if you don't have the crew cab.

Good luck again.