PDA

View Full Version : Great Window Vent Deflectors

Rilo
05-21-2002, 10:52
If you are in the market for a very nice set of window wind deflectors take a look at Weather Tech (WWW.WEATHERTECH.COM). I just installed a set on my HD crew cab (Modle 72184) in about 30 minutes. They don't use "sticky tape" to hold them in place, they slip under the weather strip and use clips. Much nicer than the OEM and a lot less likely to come off. They have lots of other stuff too.

[ 05-21-2002: Message edited by: Rilo ]</p>

AKDmax
05-21-2002, 23:13
Rilo,
Any troubles with the windows rolling up/down? Looking for a set for my rig. Thanks :D

ThePend
05-22-2002, 03:55
I had a set of these deflectors. Only thing I didnt like was when the truck had been sitting awhile with the windows up and any type of dust or sand was blowing around it would get between the glass and the plastic, when you rolled the windows down it sounded as if you were scratching both the window and deflector. Like I said they were nice and they fit close to the vehicle for a more streamlined look but I couldnt live with that scratching soundand took them off.

Rilo
05-22-2002, 05:38
Haven't had any problems yet. Around here we don't have too much blowing dust so that hasn't been a problem either. They are much nicer looking than the stuck on ones.

MaxNouT
05-22-2002, 09:53
Rilo,
I'm interested.
Would you possably have a picture?
35LIGHTNING@PRODIGY.NET
smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

odoh
05-22-2002, 10:22
W/exception of MaxNouT ~ all you guys that posted so far have CCs. I'm wondering about the fit for the ECs. Looking at their website, it doesn't indicate that they've deflectors for the back doors/vents. FWIW they've not been very active in answering their mail either. ~ odoh

woundedbear
05-22-2002, 11:51
I hope that you don't take this personally, odoh, but for what reason would you put a vent visor on the rear venting window of an extended cab? :confused:

Maybe I'm missing something here, but don't vent visors serve two purposes:
1) Shield from incoming rain/sleet/snow while window is partially opened
2) Shield from direct airflow while window is partially opened

If a visor is placed on the rear tilt-out vent windows of an extended cab, rain can still enter from the unshielded portion of the open vent from the rear, and airflow can still enter from the unshielded portion of the open vent from the bottom.

Don't get me wrong, I have always had a set on my vehicles for the reasons stated above. I have EGR In-Channel Window Visors on all four windows of my crew cab. I would recommend these for their clean lines and slim fit. But, when I owned an extended cab prior to my crew cab, I could not see the benefit of visors on the rear vents.

SalmonExpress
05-22-2002, 20:16
I have just replaced my Drawtight window deflectors this last weekend with the WeatherTech. I have to agree they fit and look much better. The Drawtight never fit right and almost lost one at 75 mph when I touched it when I had the window open on the interstate. I have had no problems with the windows rolling up or down.
MaxNouT, I will try and take a picture tonight and email it to you but if it does not come out(since it dark out), I will take one tomorrow.

Scott

odoh
05-22-2002, 20:35
WounderBear ~ none taken. For me, its only aesthetics. It looks 'incomplete/unbalanced' w/only the front windows. Was at Pep Boys today and almost bought a set (yes four) of VistaVisors so there must be a place for four on an ExtCab (nope, not only me). Unfortunately, the set was the tape on and not the newer qwick click kind ~ so, I'm still out & still shopping. ~ odoh

Kennedy
05-23-2002, 09:58
Has antbody tried the Auto Vent Shade Co. clip in visors? I have a set here, but haven't tried installing them yet...

battmain
05-23-2002, 15:15
Odoh wrote:
"I'm wondering about the fit for the ECs. Looking at their website, it doesn't indicate that they've deflectors for the back doors/vents."

I'm using a front set on my Ext Cab. After removing the passenger side one and forgeting to put it back on after washing the truck, I decided to leave it off. Unless they have redesigned them, the vertical part interferes with the view of the mirror on that side. The problem is only about an inch, but if your front windows are tinted, the interference will be worse due to the tinted visor. I decided I'd rather have the full view of that side. As for how they work. Noticeable difference in cab temps when both windows down slightly. IMHO, they look a heck of a lot better than the taped on visors.

Also noticed a slight tear in the weather seal on both doors caused by the design. Wonder how big that tear will get after a few years. Other than those minor problems, they (well one now) work great. I've been meaning to call Macneil and mention it to them for a redesign, but haven't gotten around to it yet. The ones on my aunt's Blazer fit fine.

Installation takes a whopping 30 seconds and that's being careful.

As for the back visors...I don't think they make one that doesn't require tape. If the rain is falling other than vertical, I think you'd also have a wet cab. ;)

Steve Cornell
05-25-2002, 12:42
I have the Weather Tech vent visors on my crew cab, also had a set on my 99 ext. cab (just on the front windows) it looks fine without the visors on the back windows of an ext. cab.

Click on my 2500HD web page link in my sig. for pics of the Weather Tech visors on my crew cab.

Kennedy
05-25-2002, 17:04
Well, I put them on today. Very simple, no tools, 2 minutes per side...