PDA

View Full Version : Gooseneck hitch?

taarciag
05-21-2002, 14:14
Has anyone installed a gooseneck hitch on their 2500HD Dmax? I am looking at the Popup Gooseneck Hitch (http://www.popuphitch.com) and wonder if anyone has any information on this product? Or if there are any other "better" gooseneck hitches out on the market.
We will soon be taking delivery of our new sea ray 300 sundancer witch will be weighing approx 15-16k lbs (gooseneck trailer, gas, and water).
Any advise on the gooseneck hitches is greatly appreciated!
Thanks

CanadaKev
05-21-2002, 15:49
taarciag, That popup hitch looks like a great hitch! Same ratings as my Draw-tite 7,500/30,000 which is the heaviest and safest hitch you can get. My Draw-tite is very similar but I have to jump into the box to remove the ball. The popup makes a lot more sense.
www.draw-tite.com if you would like to compare hithes.
Kevin

IndigoDually
05-22-2002, 05:34
I have a "Quick Goose" by Curt Manufacturing (curtmfg.com) I think. Works very nice and I like the fact that the levers to raise and lower are in the wheel well. The ball also rotates so if it binds in the coupler it will still pivot freely. I have used many different types of folding G/N hitches and I like this one the best.

I bought it from Weaver Distributing for $299 and shipping is free east of the Missippi. They don't have a web site but call and they will quickly send a catalog. Their number is 1-800-932-8373. They carry a lot of other hitch accessories, balls etc. A very good company to deal with, I have bought from them many times(Convert a ball, etc.)

John

Rilo
05-22-2002, 05:43
I have the Popup and it works great. That's the one I recommend. Very unintrusive and "it looks cool".

taarciag
05-22-2002, 07:11
Thanks All for you advise, I'll check into these other products. IndigoDually, great insite about the binding scenario.

Thanks,

Heartbeat Hauler
05-22-2002, 14:00
taarciag,
I haven't used one, but Reese has a goose neck hitch that installs like a fifth wheel. You install the rails and then you use either the goose neck or the fifth wheel. Other than the holes to mount the rails you don't have to cut the bed or liner. Just a thought. smile.gif

AlaskaDmax
05-22-2002, 17:28
Alright,

What is this hitch used for?

I can't remember ever seeing one before.... :confused:

Big O
05-22-2002, 17:31
taarciag,
If you want the best, simpliest, and STRONGEST, try the Una-Goose hitch. the specs are below. It is ABSOLUTELY THE STRONGEST! I choose it over the 'pop-up' models, because there was nothing to freeze-up or rust-up. Instead, a collar is simply picked up and the ball comes out, and replaced by a flat 'drop-in' cover--leaving the bed totally flat. Takes just seconds to remove, with no worry of froze up linkages under the bed. Go to:
http://www.una-goose.com/index.html

Rated:
5,000 lb. Lift
10,000 lb. Load
40,000 lb. Braking & Towing
Tested To:
10,000 lb. Lift
20,000 lb. Load
60,000 lb. Braking & Towing

taarciag
05-22-2002, 18:34
Big O,
I am impressed with the una-goose's specs and install. I think I'm gonna go with the una-goose.
Did you install it yourself?

Big O
05-22-2002, 19:04
taarciag,
No I had a dealer do it. My nearest dealer was 90 miles away in Jackson, Ms. They hadn't installed any of these in quite a while. It took them most of the day to do it, but it came out perfect, including Jordan brakes, wiring, and installation. Probably a dealer that did them regularly could do it in about 4 hrs. The manufacturer can give you a list of your nearest dealers. You won't regret the choice.

Maverick
05-22-2002, 19:22
One thing I didn't like about the handle in the wheel well is if you live in snow country it will get snow and ice build up and not move. Rust and corrosion on sliding parts. If you would have a blow out, what happens to the handle? Will it look like a pretzel? Just a thought. I put a draw-tite in my 2500HD. :D

IndigoDually
05-22-2002, 20:56
I don't exactly live in the snow belt but we do get slush and ice and I have not had any problems yet. The handles are very tight to the inside of the wheel well and I am not really concearned with a blow out.

I would shy away from the rail type that is interchangeable with a 5th wheel because the 5th wheel exerts it's downpressure on the outsides over the truck frame rails. While the ball adapters that I have seen push pown in the middle where the rails are unsupported. Just what I have been told by retailers that were not trying to sell me something else.

John

AlaskaDmax
05-23-2002, 10:03
So,

Are these hitches just another style of hitch for a fifth-wheel camper?

crafty
05-23-2002, 11:57
I have the rails and the gooseneck plate in my truck. I used it last fall and I experienced no problems at all. When I added the plate, the installer added a bolt in the centre of each rail to help take any added stress. I now have 3 bolts in each rail. There are pics at the link below. I needed the flexablity to pull either a fifth wheel camper or a gooseneck trailer so that is why I chose this setup.

Maverick
05-23-2002, 12:23
AlaskaDmax,
Take a look at my pics. "3500 w/trailers" Most gooseneck hitches are a 2 5/16 ball mounted below, flush, or above the bed of the truck. Good placement is 2-6 inches in front of the rear axle. This type of hitch is used with the heavier trailer, and loads for better weight distribution and manuverability.

Big O
05-23-2002, 17:16
AlaskaDmax
Also, they make an adapter, where you can use the gooseneck hitck to couple a 5th wheel trailer.

AlaskaDmax
05-23-2002, 18:43
Thanks, now I know!!

IndigoDually
05-24-2002, 05:56
I believe that the issue with the rails bending is more prevalent with higher tongue loads. Gooseneck kits always include some rather heavy gauge angle (mine was 1/2") to create a bridge between the truck frame to support the ball mount. I don't know what kind of support you have under yours Crafty but the couple of models that I looked at, the center section was just supported be truck bed sheet metal.

Just letting Ya know what I was told and saw.

John

P.S. I just like the idea that I have not touched the ball on my Quic-Goose since I installed it, and I have raised and lowered it dozens of times.

[ 05-24-2002: Message edited by: IndigoDually ]</p>