PDA

View Full Version : XM AND CB RADIO USE

thechevyhdman
10-16-2002, 12:07
I tryed looking but remember a while back of someone having problems with there XM radio causing interferance with their CB radio or vice versa. My question is with the antenna I will run I plan on running it alongside my CB antenna wire. I find that running the wiring from the roof of the truck through my center high mounted stoplight is the easiest way to wire into the cab.However my CB antenna is their now and before I install it I want to make sure there wont be any problems. I couldnt remember if the person that wrote on the problem was from antenna wiring or a ground problem. Thanks in advanced Bill
PS I found some really great prices for XM stuff at this site called abtelectronics.com. Stuff was 80 dollars cheaper there then Crutchfield Total package out the door antenna and reciever No shipping on Sony products $250 to my front door.

3-Fan
10-16-2002, 12:43
thechevyhdman,

It was me that was having problems with my XM Radio and my CB. Haven't had time to solve the problem yet. My problem is that when my CB is on and then I turn the XM radio on, I have to adjust the squelch way up. My CB coax and XM radio antenna come through the firewall at the same location. I am probably getting some bleeding over on each other. I'm gonna check to make sure both are grounded well. If they are, i'm gonna try to seperate the 2. Maybe run the XM antenna into the cablight and under the headliner, then down through the A-Pillar. But since that sounds like you did that to your Coax, maybe run your XM antenna like I did. I pulled back the rubber moulding around the windshield and was able to lay the antenna cable between the windshield and the cab. Followed the windshield all the way down to under the hood. Popped the antenna through the firewall.

What ever you do, I would try to NOT run the two together. Also run RG-8X cable for the CB. Less loss and better shielding than the RG-58 coax.

I bought my XM radio at Abe's too. Good prices eh?? Just a tip I used. I mounted my FM modulator in the area underneath the cigerette lighters. THis is where the older Silverado's had cup holders. Just the right amount of room in there for the modulator and it is well hidden.

Good luck and let me know if you have any interference problems with you CB and XM.

chuntag95
10-16-2002, 18:55
Have you looked into power filters? I had to put one on my CB to get it to act correctly and not have turn the squelch all the way up. No XM, so that's not it. Just my 0.02 and they are pretty cheap at Radio Shack.

thechevyhdman
10-19-2002, 13:31
Im not running the Fm modulator I have a Sony Face thats XM ready so I ordered that Apparatus that looks like an amplifier Wait dude that might be where your interference is coming from through your Fm antenna Is that the kind you have ? the one that recievers the Xm signal but works through your Fm radio? I bet thats your interference right there. Anyways If it wasnt for a search engine I would of spent alot more from Crutchfield, never heard of abt till now. Just checked UPS not in till the 23rd Ill run the lines side by side and let you know if i have the same problem. I dont know what antenna wire I am usinng I have a Wilson Short Stick antenna magnet mount on the roof so I have no clue what Coax she uses. For poops and giggles do you find XM worth it.. so sick of ads and bad signals and lack of channels to choose from. Let me know Thehdman