PDA

View Full Version : aftermarket XM radio

racerfan#3
06-24-2003, 20:09
I am installing an aftermarket modulated XM radio in a friends 2003 2500HD and need to know where to hook up the wire for switched power. Any help would be great and thanks in advance.

3-Fan
06-24-2003, 21:34
I used a mini-add-a-fuse and plugged it into the radio fuse in the fuse panel on the side of the DS door area. My XM has power when the radio is on. And shuts off when the door is opened and the key is off.

Works well for me.

Good luck!

B-Dog
06-28-2003, 00:55
I also tapped into the fuse panel by the driver's side door using spade connectors. Hooked up an Alpine FM modulated XM player. Check my webpage for a picture, under XM Install.

I think the very top left prong is the 12V (Ignition switch) and the one down and to the right is the 12V constant supply. Check with a meter. Worked OK for me..

B-Dog
06-28-2003, 00:56
Forgot the link:

http://feynman.ee.ualberta.ca/~bherman/

Professor
06-28-2003, 06:19
B-Dog

Does the Alpine display "clip" the song titles or does it scroll with the complete song name?

on edit-

I also like your installation location. I planned on doing the same thing. I had my GPS mounted in that location but removed it. It was difficult to see at the angle from the driver

B-Dog
06-29-2003, 02:01
Professor,

Unfortuneatly for XM radio mode the unit only displays the first 8 characters, It will switch back and forth between channel, artist and song title but that's it. The only way it will scroll text longer than 8 characters is if it's connected to a CD / MP3 changer, it will scroll disc title, track names etc.

I usually like Alpine's products but I think they could have done a much better job on the display, using an LCD screen or something that shows more text. As for viewing it, its not too bad. The overhead console is angled down enough that you don't have to go out of your way to see it. I think it turned out pretty good, I put the FM modulator box behind the panel underneath the steering wheel and ran the cable from the display along the roof, down through the A-pillars. There's just barely enough cable to reach but it works. I have a few more pictures I will post to my page. Glad you liked it.

c5dura
06-30-2003, 06:54
I went w/ an Alpine headunit (9815) along with their XM-Radio module. With this combo, I get 2 lines of 16 characters to simultaneously display artist and song names. Very slick setup...

ndamico
06-30-2003, 13:01
which of their XM modules did you get? the TUA-T020XM or the XMA-T200RF

c5dura
06-30-2003, 14:44
I got the XMA-T200RF, but only because Crutchfield was running a special on this package for $149 instead of paying $279 for just the tuner itself.

I only used the TUA-T020XM module from the package and don't have a use for the controller or FM modulator itself. I just connected the controller to the HU using the included Ai-NET cable and that was it other than feeding it 12V and of course connecting the XM antenna.